Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: SDCC exclusives on hasbrotoyshop??
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:38 pm 
Joint Unfreezer

8) :arrow:

Last edited by billydj on Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:03 pm 
Knows his stuff

BCYa wrote:
I actually hate that word entitlement. It sounds like right wing Republican crap. This whole thing of exclusives for some vs for all reminds me of Republicans vs Dems. Some people are happy that what they have is exclusive - I have the Zarana from last year, but derive no enjoyment from the fact that a lot of people missed out on her or had to pay more for her - it actually bums me out. I want all the peoples to be happy - I guess I'm a big liberal when it comes to toys.

Nobody has to resort to scalpers, though - I wish less people did. If we keep feeding scalpers there are just more and more of them. All the grubby grabby greedy stuff - man, those folks sicken me. The whole thing could be avoided if Hasbro would just make more figures, thus potentially increasing their profits, right?

I'm just tired. Tired of going to stores endlessly and finding nothing. Tired of the prices increases. Tired of the scalpers, and their every growing greed. Tired of the exclusives. All these things seem to be determined to suck as much fun out of collecting as they can. It's supposed to be fun!

Well, the best advice I can give here is to avoid political trash talk or aligning political ideals to topics on a forum... as it always ends messy.

That being said, I assume you must be rather young (I don't know you), as your stated understanding of what Reps and Dems stand for is rather skewed. :shock:

I don't feel like engaging in a tinklebob for tat though, so it's best to leave it at that.

BTW - I got lucky this AM too and was able to pick up the X-Force pack. By the time I paid for it and went back, all gone. Whew.. that was speedy indeedy, with a bit of luck thrown in.

Regards,

geoffdude

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:49 pm 
wears suits so fine they make Sinatra look like a hobo

geoffdude wrote:
Well, the best advice I can give here is to avoid political trash talk or aligning political ideals to topics on a forum... as it always ends messy.

Brilliant advice. :wink:

Take a walk on the Sunny Side of the Street
http://www.facebook.com/SunnySideNews

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:04 pm 
3 3/4"

ian5555 wrote:
I like most of what CC says and it's pretty sad to see people attack him just cause they are upset about a few toys they missed out on. So he think that exclusives should be just that, exclusives, what is so bad about that? NYCC although not as big doesn't offer the exclusives online that I can recall do they? The sense of entitlement here reminds me of the JLU crowd. Yeah, it sucks you have to resort to scalpers but it's a necessary evil in alot of cases.

"Entitlement" Really? I do not think that word means what you a think it does.

Something for nothing-ok you got it.

People are WANTING to spend thier moneys here, willing to pay the extra money for the exclusives even. Also they are willing to endure the craptastic wonder that is Hasbro Toy Shop to do it. How is that entitlement? That is willing to go to hell and back.

Then to go through all that and come up short, what reaction do you expect besides anger-JUSTIFIABLE anger. Now the "scalper" route has to be taken, more TIME, more MONEY, more ENERGY, more DISAPOINTMENT, who signs on for that kind of crap-yes that is the very definition of entitlement. Dear lord, buy a dictionary.

What would be better served is if Hasbro would smarten up and quit putting unique and highly desireable characters as exclusives. Fans wouldn't be as totally PO'ed, there wouldn't be holes in people's collections, and most of all (and this is marketing 101) the support base wouldn't be so upset. You upset your core audience you can expect troubles-and if memory serves isn't trouble exactly what Hasbro has been having the past year, at least that is what they keep telling us at the cons (as the reasons for the cutbacks and repaints ect).

Since they seem to be on a marketing kick (as they are useing a ton of rhetoric from the marketing world like "brand" a lot lately) maybe it would help if they went back, looked over some basic PR, and understood that if you have a built in core you don't set out to turn them away. Yet they seem to be doing to, GLEEFULLY doing so by the interviews I have seen.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:43 pm 
5" Scale

JuliusMarx wrote:
I WAS at Comic Con and I STILL wasn't able to get what I needed.... the one Hasbro thing that I was never able to score was the Derpy Hooves My Little Pony exclusive. It's the ONE thing Abby wanted from the show. Her grandfather passed away on Friday so she had to fly back home early Saturday morning. Me and 5 other guys tried all week to get her one with no success. The dealers all wanted $60-100 for it.

I was hoping to get one from the online sale, but now it looks like that won't happen either as they have sold out of those.

Being at the con and trying to get exclusives... not what anyone would call fun. It's a huge time suck.

Yes sir it is and add in the lottery factor and it turns into a nightmare. I remember back when we first started attending we could basically go up to the booths on Sunday and pick up whatever exclusives we were looking for. Those days are over now. So remember that folks when you are asking someone to pick something up at a con for you. Good luck finding that MLP exclusives Julius. I used to pick these up with no problem for a buddy of mine in Canada for his girls in the past. Now it seems with the new show things have taken off or did I totally miss these things were insane already? I know Littlest Petshop was pretty popular when I was a merchandiser. I'd definitely echo the "be patient" mentality of some of our older members here. It will eventually come back up or you'll find it down the line. Alcide' definitely gave some of you hot heads some sound advice and words to live by.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:51 pm 
shirtless hugger

zedhatch wrote:
ian5555 wrote:
I like most of what CC says and it's pretty sad to see people attack him just cause they are upset about a few toys they missed out on. So he think that exclusives should be just that, exclusives, what is so bad about that? NYCC although not as big doesn't offer the exclusives online that I can recall do they? The sense of entitlement here reminds me of the JLU crowd. Yeah, it sucks you have to resort to scalpers but it's a necessary evil in alot of cases.

People are WANTING to spend thier moneys here, willing to pay the extra money for the exclusives even. Also they are willing to endure the craptastic wonder that is Hasbro Toy Shop to do it. How is that entitlement? That is willing to go to hell and back.

Then to go through all that and come up short, what reaction do you expect besides anger-JUSTIFIABLE anger. Now the "scalper" route has to be taken, more TIME, more MONEY, more ENERGY, more DISAPOINTMENT, who signs on for that kind of crap-yes that is the very definition of entitlement. Dear lord, buy a dictionary.

I agree totally, this was my exact response to reading the word "entitlement". I didn't mean to rile up folks politically - sorry, I just felt like exclusivity vs equality felt a little Red vs Blue. But nobody wants this stuff for free - it's like somebody is saying "How dare you want to buy something at a reasonable price?" All just a big bummer.

Just heard on the news people are scalping opening night Dark Knight Rises tickets - this crap never stops, does it? Yay, humanity!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:11 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

zedhatch wrote:
ian5555 wrote:

What would be better served is if Hasbro would smarten up and quit putting unique and highly desireable characters as exclusives. Fans wouldn't be as totally PO'ed, there wouldn't be holes in people's collections, and most of all (and this is marketing 101) the support base wouldn't be so upset. You upset your core audience you can expect troubles-and if memory serves isn't trouble exactly what Hasbro has been having the past year, at least that is what they keep telling us at the cons (as the reasons for the cutbacks and repaints ect).

Since they seem to be on a marketing kick (as they are useing a ton of rhetoric from the marketing world like "brand" a lot lately) maybe it would help if they went back, looked over some basic PR, and understood that if you have a built in core you don't set out to turn them away. Yet they seem to be doing to, GLEEFULLY doing so by the interviews I have seen.

I know exactly what it means and but to put simply it means the "right to toys" and NO people do not have that. Entitlement in no way means free in a casual sense. It's Hasbro's line they can do wtf ever they want with it. Don't like it, go collect stamps. Those are real easy to get I hear. Not trying to be mean there I mean it's a collectible line they are supposed to be somewhat hard to get.

Hasbro doesn't owe us a damn thing. The only thing they do owe is to their shareholders and their employees and what do you think sounds better?

We made 5000 MOE packs and sold all of them

or

We made 20000 MOE packs and half of them are sitting on HTS rotting but hey we sold half of them.

Pretty sure the first one sounds better to me.

It's not a problem with supply or demand it's a problem of people getting to the toys before YOU and you are mad at Hasbro for it which is silly. They put limits on them of 1 to a customer. What else can they do? lol Take a chance and make 100000 units so joe shmo on AFI thinks they are great? Not on your life. Exclusivity makes a buzz and get customers. Sure worked for Mattel and MOTU. It's smart business especially when you are dealing with *gasp* collectors. If there are millions of the things nobody cares.

I thought I missed out on the pack when i came into work this morning and read the boards. Was I disappointed? Sure. Was I mad? Hell no. Then I happened to get on HTS at the right time and got an MOE and a Legends pack. The MOE pack was up for at least 30-45 min after I ordered it. I wouldn't be surprised if more show up tomorrow.

Honestly this never knowing when they are going up is kind of cool lol. Sucked 2 years ago when I didn't get anything but last 2 years I scored and it was all the sweeter :D

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:10 pm 
my apartment smells of rich mahogany

Ah, the annual Exclusives debate. I enjoy taking part in this one, especially because I know I'm right. ;-)

Hasbro's in business to make money. I think we all agree on that. The question is, how best to make money with this kind of product? I think there are two great points being made here about how Hasbro can make the most money: First, keep your customers happy. Second, keep your customers wanting more.

If a toy is going to be a "Con Exclusive," I'm going to have to go with Caped Crusader here: exclusive means that you exclude anyone not at the con. At the same time, if I can get it online for "retail" as a customer, I'm going to; I'm not stupid. Con exclusives keep your customers wanting more. They feed in to a "collector mentality" that in many ways helps to feed your business. This is the same segment of your business that is enthused about chase figures. The FUD that comes with the idea of "I might never get that toy!" is a powerful motivator for many of us as collectors.

At the same time, how does a company like Hasbro control the FUD so that it fuels desire instead of extinguishing it? Too many missed "exclusives," too many "essential exclusives," and your customers give up instead of buying more. Why? Because they're not happy.

The Super Helicarrier is a GREAT example of a con exclusive, IMO. You want a Helicarrier? It's $70 at TRU.com right now. Go get one. You want the bigger, better, cooler one? Sorry, that was a limited-edition item at SDCC. So, what happens? NO ONE has to go without a Helicarrier for their SHIELD fantasies, but the most dedicated fans get a cooler one. Your customers want more, but they can all be happy. The same goes for the carded/boxed Galactus variations from a while back. I know a few people on here REALLY wanted a card vs. a box, but NO ONE had to go without a Galactus, whom one could call an "essential" character.

The Masters of Evil set, on the other hand, is one of the WORST kinds of con exclusives. You want a Baron Zemo in MU size? Go **** yourself, fan-boy. You weren't at SDCC, or you didn't win the internet lottery of being online for an unannounced five minutes while most people are at work. So what happens? A few collectors are happy because they got the exclusive set for a good deal, but the rest of us are ticked off because we're paying scalper's prices OR we're going without some key characters that are unavailable anywhere else. If your customers get the bigger set, they've spent money that you haven't earned or won, and they have less to spend on your other products. So they effectively want less and are unhappy. If your customers DIDN'T get the bigger set, your strategy turned them off from your product, so they want less and they're unhappy. Both of those things = less profit for you.

ian5555 makes a good point when he compares selling 5000/5000 vs. 10,000/20,000. However, the second example shows that Hasbro overestimated demand by a measurable amount. The first example, on the other hand, should leave Hasbro wondering, "How many COULD we have sold? How many profits did we throw away?" So how can they make more profit while still exciting the collector's market?

A couple of suggestions:

1) Make exclusive versions of figures. What if this Radioactive Man glowed in the dark? Alternate costumes? How about a chrome Ultron with this set? This way collectors can feel cool for having something special, but the average customer could still (conceivably) buy the more general run at retail.

2) Change the packaging. SW has done this well in the past. Why not show single-carded Zemo, RM, and TS during the slide-show so that we all know they're coming in 2013? Comic two-packs featuring Zemo/Cap, RM/IM, and TS/Namor? Then con-goers have early releases for a great price in cool packaging that no one else will get, but the average customer only has to wait for a chance to still get these characters.

Both of those suggestions include more profits for Hasbro, more variety at retail, and some darned nifty exclusives for the show, while preventing the kind of burn-out that makes many customers give up on the product. When people on the board get mad about this year's exclusive (as I have), it's not a sense of entitlement; it's frustration at being denied the opportunity to participate in the BASIC activity of this hobby: giving a company money in exchange for a cool toy. Instead, we end up paying someone else a premium in an age where getting product to a customer should be easier than ever OR we end up not paying and therefore not receiving. Neither makes the customer happy nor leaves the customer wanting more, so Hasbro fails.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:35 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Very good points Eric especially with the MOE. In hindsight probably not the best Hasbro decision for a Con exclusive. To be honest probably not the best idea to put Maria Hill in the Helicarrier either which really didn't bother me though cause I don't really care about her but alot of people do and $129 is a hard pill to swallow. In the past it has been variants of popular figures or different packaging BUT I will say (and this is in my area) the FF4 and GoG packs are drowning at every store I go too so I'm not sure how MOE does as a pack on it's on at retail.

I think demand is hard to gauge in any line with figures but I would hope that if they sold 5000 units this year easily they would up next years exclusive but I think it's more of what myself and Eric said that exclusivity has it's advantages for a toyline.

I usually buy 2 of nearly everything for loose and MOC so I'm not thrilled about having to go to the secondary market for another one but I am happy I got one online. Hopefully they will release more this week so people can get them. I have seen them go for as little as $45.00 though so what are you paying an extra $10?? That isn't too bad.

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:27 am 
my apartment smells of rich mahogany

ian5555 wrote:
To be honest probably not the best idea to put Maria Hill in the Helicarrier either which really didn't bother me though cause I don't really care about her but alot of people do and $129 is a hard pill to swallow.

Agreed. I forgot about Maria Hill. OTHER than her, the Super Helicarrier is a cool exclusive, IMO.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:28 am 
Excelsior!

Good points, Eric! People will always be unhappy (I only want the GITD Radioactive Man!), but there are some happy mediums out there if companies take the time to do them.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:47 am 
Collector Inspector

JuliusMarx wrote:
Being at the con and trying to get exclusives... not what anyone would call fun. It's a huge time suck.

Amen to that, brother. That Hasbro line was ridiculously long. And you had to be in it by 6 a.m.! Who wants to waste several hours waiting in line when you could be doing cooler things at SDCC?

I applaud Mattel's approach with the pre-orders. I waited 10 minutes in line at the fulfillment room to pick up the Tiny Titans set I ordered. So much easier!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:33 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Just rumor from Rebelscum but-----

However, the listing states a limit of 1 per household, with limited quantities, and rumours abound that anyone who has attempted to order more than 1 of the exclusives has had ALL of their orders canceled, with the items being returned to stock at a later date.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:27 pm 
shirtless hugger

stewbacca wrote:
Just rumor from Rebelscum but-----

However, the listing states a limit of 1 per household, with limited quantities, and rumours abound that anyone who has attempted to order more than 1 of the exclusives has had ALL of their orders canceled, with the items being returned to stock at a later date.

I've always though they should do this - serves them right for trying to break the rules.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:19 pm 
Cold-cast

BCYa, loved your posts dude! I so agree with all of your statements. Eric i like your suggestions on what they should do with those exclusives. The different packaging angle is cool. It's like what Mattel did with plastic man. The con version had a suitcase but the online version did not.

The thing is not everyone can afford to go to all these cons. Which is why i think DC Collectibles idea of doing a con only line is stupid. It costs at least $2000-3000+ to attend one of these cons, if you don't live in the city its hosted in. So i do agree that exclusives should be made available online. I am okay with different versions like the mattel example i gave above. Many people who even want to go can not not because they can't financially but getting passes and hotels prove challenging at cons like SDCC, especially if they keep botching registration.

The most civilized way of handling this is by doing preorders online then let people pick it up. this would maximize their sales and make it easier for anyone attending to get their stuff. I give kudos to Mattel and Sideshow for that. This system works and i think comic con org should make it a requirement to exhibiting if your offering exclusives. The only reason not to do it and have people line up for hours like cattle is to show everyone how cool they are, they are the it place to be at the con, the publicity. Like Best Buy on Black Friday (they actually pay people to line up the week of black friday) to get the publicity.

Also releases after the con should have a set time and date. I think HTS should have set a date say a week from SDCC to make those available or also do preorders. They make more money in the long run, happier customers. I see no downside except they loose all the publicity and hype but gain goodwill. Kudos to Mattel and Sideshow again.

Here is the thing, you don't go to a con just for toys that is actually icing. You go to a con to enjoy the panels, meeting fellow toy geeks and look at all the new stuff coming, parties, balls, autographs, meeting your favorite stars, in nut shell a total geekfest. Before all the posers and scalpers stole our cons from us, it used to be a geek pilgrimage. A few fun days meeting fellow geeks, being totally nerdy, partying and totally enjoying all the content. The toys were just an extra bonus and did not matter so much but yes it did race our little geeks hearts out. But it was made for us to enjoy personally not to resell. If we did resell it was in the form of trades. It was honest, fun and beautiful.

Half or more of the people buying this stuff don't care about it at all. its just profit nothing else and its all about lining up each day and buying stuff. I say just do away with exclusives, variants and such. It may have been fun hunting before but it is a nightmare now and it this new super greedy, self serving world we live in i.e the ebay age, these things are more of a nightmare then fun and just make people angry and bitter. Actually i think it is rubbing it in people faces that do that.

With Caped Crusader, it is not his opinions on exclusives that people were upset with but rather his cold and callous way of rubbing it in i.e how he got everything, 30 secs in and out, right after a bunch of posts by people who were bummed. That was extremely abhorrent and poor form and uncalled for. I don't what has happened to this community. It used to be a place were we helped each other out and were understanding and accommodating when a fellow boardie need to vent or share. Now it is full of cold hearted people, who care only to brag and rub people faces in the dirt. People attacking each other constantly.

I'm on another board for movie masters stuff and one person posted about the tragedy today and i responded how sad it all made me and then right after is a post about a guy complaining about his stupid toys. I mean 12 people died today and you can't bottle your crap about your toys for one day?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next