Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Marvel Legends vs. Marvel Universe!!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:00 pm 
Hangin' with the big boys

OK, I know this will open a huge can of worms, but up until now, Ive been able to collect both of ML & MU. Life events will make me have to quit & sell one of them, and I am having a hard time which one to keep, as I enjoy both lines very much. Here are a few pros & cons that I have, and I wouldnt mind some input!

Marvel Legends:
-Have one of each character made loose except Dragon Man (ie, only one Spider-Man, Wolverine, etc. However I have Capt. America & Head of SHIELD Rogers, Bucky, Bucky Cap & Winter Soldier, Phoenix & Black Queen, Hawkeye & Ronin, and so on)
-Worth more in value then MU
-I prefer 6"
-Will not be nearly as many figures to buy in the future

Marvel Universe:
-Have everything MOC through wave with Kraven, including movie assortments except Avengers (altho, I would open to display loose if I kept MU)
-Will not be worth as much on the 2nd market, since I have every version of the main characters
-Hasbro's main Marvel line, meaning I will always have something to look forward too
-Save display space with 3 3/4" size
-Potential to have a larger character roster than ML (already has Firestar, Wrecking Crew, Marverick, Dark Avengers, Blastaar, and so on)

Thanks for any insight guys!

Post subject: Re: Marvel Legends vs. Marvel Universe!!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:18 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

I'd say MU because you can keep some of the ML BAFs for use with that line. Plus since money seems to be an issue, MU is cheaper and you get more bang for the buck with better scaling (multiple scales like the frost giant and sentinal). Plus MU seems to be dipping deeper into the MU than Legends and no baf means you can safely skip any rehashes in a wave.

That being said, keep your favorite legends characters evev if you do sell them. I'm considering paring down my ML collection myself, but my Iron Men and Classic Avengers aren't going anywhere.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:41 am 
Far Too Concerned with his Post Count

Agreed. Plus there may be space considerations. ML figures take up more space. They don't lose as much value when depackaged as MU, and it sounds like you are only collecting MU as an investment, not to enjoy. You can't really enjoy a toy in the package. There are visual and tactile considerations. Seems to me you want the ML more.

CCC.

Museum Super Collector.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:36 pm 

Thanks guys! Leaning towards ML...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:16 pm 
Totally Ripped ABS!!!

Whatever you decide think of us first before you go selling things off!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:51 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

I did thisabout 3 years ago-- (I ended up keeping about 20 of my Marvel Legends figures-)-- made some decent cash-- (although I wish I waited until recently as some of the figs have gone up.)

But im a 3-3/4s guy so that really is why-- not to mention- MU take a ton of less space to display per figure average..

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:11 pm 
shirtless hugger

MU was such an easy jumping on point for me and they have, until recently, been easy to find. the MU figs take up less space, and have been way easier to find than the Legends were.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:50 am 

More stores seem to be carrying MU as well, although the pegs are clogged with Gladiators, Namors, and Wreckers.

In my area, Walmarts have pretty much dropped ML (I only know of one store that still carries them), and the reset doesn't seem to have brought them back.

Marvel's pretty much Avengers and Spider-man figures with 2 pegs of Marvel Universe.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:18 pm 

Consider what I just saw from the new Iron Man 3 3.75 inch figures, I'm changing my vote: stick with Legends.

'Cause I believe the MU guys are gonna regress to 5 POA within the year.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:07 pm 

I don't think that change will be throughout MU. While they IM3 figures are terrible, they are built with a gimmick in mind.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:36 am 
Resin

Tough call.
You have every charactrer in ML? Wow.
If space is not a problem, then I'd continue down that road, even though there aren't a whole lot of new characters coming.
And you do mention that you like ML better.

The only reson I can thinik of to suggest keeping the MU is that you may get some decent money for selling the MLs. That seems like a consideration to you. And it'll give you a lot to buy in the future, but is getting better than having?

I can see this going either way. Let us know what you decide! I am always interested in how other collectors keep their collections from becoming too big and what drives those decisions.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:35 pm 

StrangePlanet wrote:
Tough call.
You have every charactrer in ML? Wow.
If space is not a problem, then I'd continue down that road, even though there aren't a whole lot of new characters coming.
And you do mention that you like ML better.

The only reson I can thinik of to suggest keeping the MU is that you may get some decent money for selling the MLs. That seems like a consideration to you. And it'll give you a lot to buy in the future, but is getting better than having?

I can see this going either way. Let us know what you decide! I am always interested in how other collectors keep their collections from becoming too big and what drives those decisions.

I have around 250 different ML figures, the only doubling up I have is if it makes sense (Silver Savage, Planet Hulk), the bigger Iron Man armors (Thor & Hulk Busters), and the Ultimate versions (I love Ultimate universe).

The BAF Iron Monger has pretty much sealed the deal for me, I just hope ML continues with some of the teams that they started with the 2012 relaunch, like the GoG & Dark Avengers. However, I will wait to see Toy Fair offerings until I am concrete.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:30 am 
willing to display nerd-rage meltdown for custom subnic

I applaud your decision. That had to be tough. Life would have to deal me a crippling blow to have to decide between the two. I love both of these lines.

I don't fail, I just succeed at finding ways that don't work.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:42 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

6" ML all the way for me. The only 3 3/4" line I accept is G.I. Joe. While I do own a few M.U. figures, (favourites only), I have no use for the line at all. I was sad to see they're making a 3 3/4" Nighthawk as I always wanted to see him in a Legends wave.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:21 am 
5th Horseman

You prefer 6" so this should be easy. Keep the Legends and just stick with those. Only buy characters you like and if you must have a BaF, trade for parts or buy loose. 6" gets you more detail, and thus better figures. That's why they moved to the 6" scale in the first place instead of sticking with 5".