Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: No figures from the new X-Men movie. Why?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:23 am 
Brand Manager

There will be a complete set from the Guardians of the Galaxy movie. There's a new Spider-man figure (I'm talking about hte Legends 6 inch figures here). Why not a X-Men line? There's a lot of cool characters in the new movie... :(

Post subject: Re: No figures from the new X-Men movie. Why?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:41 am 
Loose, Missing Package

I would say it has a lot to do with how the last few X-Men movie-based lines have sold at retail. Even the comic based Wolverine Legends was turned down by mass-retail last year. It's really tough to say why they didn't sell, but I'd say a lot of it is probably due to the movie designs not using distinct costumes for the heroes. The leather suits and street clothes don't translate to visually exciting toys. I haven't seen the last three movies, yet (got 'em all just gotta sit down and watch them), but from the trailers and clips I've seen none of them look very kid-friendly, they look like pretty much every other explosive-action film that comes out these days from those trailers.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:22 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd

I don't know either- I think its because those wolverine figures did so bad (but of course that doesn't explain the Spiderman or Iron Man Fiascos either)

Especially since that last Legends wave just went to COmic Book stores...

Imagine if we got a comic/movie wave-- which is the only way I think we would ever get a Blink Figure-- (or at least a movie Kitty Pryde-- since I think she is the only one that wasn't done in that style...)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:54 pm 
willing to display nerd-rage meltdown for custom subnic

I hate most movie designs (Avengers and it's tie-in movies being the exception), so I can't say that I'm upset about not seeing X-related movie figures. I thought most of the Toybiz movie figures were horrible, and all of the Hasbro ones up until Avengers.

I don't fail, I just succeed at finding ways that don't work.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:40 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Yeah, I can't say I am missing movie X-men figures at all.

Of course, I have always been a bigger Avengers fan.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:11 pm 
3 3/4"

The last 3 X films sucked and i think toy stores dont want them.Look at how places are shying away from DC stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:02 am 
ABS

Good, the movies suck and the figures suck, it is synergy. Also why would anyone really want any of the X movie characters are figures, their outfits are awful, just awful!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:09 am 
Brand Manager

Have to respectfully disagree. X-Men: First Class and The Wolverine are two of the best movies in the X-Men franchise. And The Wolverine had pretty much everything you'd want to have in a Wolverine movie. Hell, the last act even had a little bit of 'Game of Death' in it. Honestly, it literally covered all the things guys love about action movies.

As for the figures...

Well, it looks like the X-men market has been played out a little bit. And the movie's cast choices don't seem to match anything that Hasbro had in the pipelines. I mean, if Jubilee were in the Movie... then I'd be like "yes, please!" But she's not. So that basically leaves Magneto, Colossus and Wolverine as the coolest characters in the movie. And that's half a wave at best. So in the end, it probably makes sense for Hasbro to do X-men in sets (like they are doing with the Classic X-men 5 pack), than in waves. After all, if I were them, I wouldn't want to risk cloggin' the distribution lines again with one or two clunkers. (I'm looking at you Hope Summers.)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:26 am 
ABS

First Class is excellent but all three original movies were awful...yeah even 2. The Wolverine movies both 1 and 2 were also awful. The second has to be one of the most boring movies in existence. There was nothing good about that movie, I honestly thought it was incredibly lame a friend said it was so boring it took her 3 days to finish it.

The problem is that the X movies don't lend themselves to great figures. You would think we could of gotten a decent Magneto but it never happened, sadly they cast that old fart as the role when they should of came up with a reason for slower aging...no one wants an old, frail Magneto. Then you have the new guy and they can't give him a decent costume. The X movies are trash but because Marvel fans are drones they support that garbage and keep the franchise going when it should have died years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:52 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Superpowers1980 wrote:
X movies are trash but because Marvel fans are drones they support that garbage and keep the franchise going when it should have died years ago.

Tell us how you really feel.. :roll:

But Since I feel the same way (and probably even worse) about the current Batman and Superman movie universe and their fans, Nolan is a bigger plague on modern movies than ankle articulation on figures -- to each their own..

X:Men the Last Stand is just a fun movie (and I know I am probably in the huge minority on that one) , and yes the first two are slow-- (but everything is slower by todays standards.)

And the point is we got aisles full of crap movie Bat, Supes and GL figures-- X-Men could at least get a wave...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:07 am 
ABS

stewbacca wrote:
Superpowers1980 wrote:
X movies are trash but because Marvel fans are drones they support that garbage and keep the franchise going when it should have died years ago.

Tell us how you really feel.. :roll:

But Since I feel the same way (and probably even worse) about the current Batman and Superman movie universe and their fans, Nolan is a bigger plague on modern movies than ankle articulation on figures -- to each their own..

X:Men the Last Stand is just a fun movie (and I know I am probably in the huge minority on that one) , and yes the first two are slow-- (but everything is slower by todays standards.)

And the point is we got aisles full of crap movie Bat, Supes and GL figures-- X-Men could at least get a wave...

The only decent thing about the third X movie was the display of just how powerful Magneto truly is. Moving that bridge was epic, other than that it was a colossal missed opportunity.

Slow isn't bad when it is done right, example being the first Superman movie.

Nolan was great for the Batverse but it doesn't translate into other characters. I loved MOS but it had its problems. Also GL was one of the best comic movies, it is trashed for no good reason, though the figures are utter garbage.

Also when talking about crap movie figures don't forget to include Spidey and IM.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:18 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

HEY!

Leave my Iron Man movie figures alone. I have all of them and enjoy most of them. :twisted:

And X-men:FC was the best X-men movie yet. The Wolverine, while better than the first one, was still underwhelming. Mainly because in order to do a Wolverine movie correctly, it needs to be rated R so he can slice and dice people properly like he does in the comics.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:34 am 
Brand Manager

Superpowers1980 wrote:
The Wolverine movies both 1 and 2 were also awful. The second has to be one of the most boring movies in existence.
Superpowers1980 wrote:
Also GL was one of the best comic movies, it is trashed for no good reason, though the figures are utter garbage.

Also when talking about crap movie figures don't forget to include Spidey and IM.

Wait... AM I BEING PUNK'D?!?!!?!? :shock: :shock: :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:33 pm 
ABS

Shellhead wrote:
HEY!

Leave my Iron Man movie figures alone. I have all of them and enjoy most of them. :twisted:

And X-men:FC was the best X-men movie yet. The Wolverine, while better than the first one, was still underwhelming. Mainly because in order to do a Wolverine movie correctly, it needs to be rated R so he can slice and dice people properly like he does in the comics.

LOL, ok man scratch that I mentioned the IM movie toys, maybe I am just a little bummed about the first figure being too small, overall I did like the figure, just waiting for an IM in the proper scale of a man in a suit.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:36 pm 
ABS

red Ricky wrote:
Superpowers1980 wrote:
The Wolverine movies both 1 and 2 were also awful. The second has to be one of the most boring movies in existence.
Superpowers1980 wrote:
Also GL was one of the best comic movies, it is trashed for no good reason, though the figures are utter garbage.

Wait... AM I BEING PUNK'D?!?!!?!? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Dude, no lie, I honestly enjoyed GL. Now I am a staunch DC lover but I am honest, I liked MOS but I can tell you a thousand things wrong with it. I really think GL was a honest and effective effort and for the life of me I cannot do understand the backlash. It told a story, it was fun, in was high adventure and the characterization was good. I especially loved the end fight with Parallax.