Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: SDCC: Marvel Legends thread
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:25 am 
wears suits so fine they make Sinatra look like a hobo

All the news and updates from SDCC 2011 for the Marvel Legends line!

This first post will be updated as news and photos are released; please keep all Comic-Con related Marvel Legends news in this thread.

- - - - -

- Wave 1 of Marvel Legends is due out by January 2012. Wave 2 release date has not been set yet.
- Marvel Legends new packaging designed by Ed McGuinnes
- Commander Rogers has an electric Shield Variant
- Iron Man has Stealth variant
- Ghost Rider Variant will be yellow and orange for wave 1
- Mainline characters like Iron Man & Thor in wave one will not have BAF pieces so collectors who don't want to buy these characters again will not need to in order to complete their BAF

- Wave 2: Bucky Captain America, Wrecking Crew (running Changes will include Thunderball to Piledriver), so throughout the course of the year different team members will be released), Daken (Logan's Son in Dark Avengers costume and a removable cowl), Madame Mask/Madame Hydra, Drax, Big Time Spider-Man (Black & Green) Ankle Rockers and a re-desinged hips on a horzontial axis
-Wave 2 BAF is Armin Zola.

- No limit within reason on the BAF height Limit. Terrax should be about 8" and Modok aprox 6.5"..
- Some figures might be revisited from previous Marvel Legends

Take a walk on the Sunny Side of the Street
http://www.facebook.com/SunnySideNews

Post subject: Re: SDCC: Marvel Legends thread
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:07 pm 

Quote:
Hasbro MARVEL Panel: Saturday, July 23 from 2:00 - 3:00 PM in Room 9

The marketing and design teams for this year's Thor, Captain-America: The First Avenger, Spider-Man and Marvel Universe lines present all the latest toys. Also, get a sneak peek into the 2012 lines!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:29 pm 

full pic of the SDCC-exclusive Thor:

http://twitpic.com/5saexl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:57 pm 
Joint Unfreezer

He looks similar to this pic.

http://blog.auntjanenation.com/wp-conte ... /thor2.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:59 am 
Daniel Pickett

Here's a picture of the packaging for the ML Thor
http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/main ... el-legends

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:28 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

That packaging looks nice and all, but that's gonna be hell to keep MOMC/MIMB (or just plain wasteful if you are only going to throw it out).

Also, Thor's costume.armor seems to hide the joints very nicely. If this is indicitive of what the future holds for the line, I'm impressed.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:18 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Well. I can't help but to compare it to Toy Biz because they're calling themselves "Marvel Legends". Compared to Toy Biz, this sucks. I won't be wasting my money.

YEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:49 pm 
willing to display nerd-rage meltdown for custom subnic

ZSloth11 wrote:
Well. I can't help but to compare it to Toy Biz because they're calling themselves "Marvel Legends". Compared to Toy Biz, this sucks. I won't be wasting my money.

Wow. I didn't expect that. I feel exactly the opposite. There hasn't been an SDCC exclusive I've anticipated more than this one, and I'm extremely pleased with the outcome. If the rest of the rebooted wave one looks this good, I'm gonna end up having a bunch of figures I don't even want. :oops:

I don't fail, I just succeed at finding ways that don't work.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:37 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

I'm a purist. I'll need the final product to be sure, but this just doesn't measure up to Toy Biz. Articulation, paint, sculpting, etc. I won't but ML anymore until they've reached the quality I came to expect from Marvel Legends.

YEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:21 pm 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

I like the sculpt on Thor it's very nice and something I'm definitely going to get but honestly I'm not impressed by the packaging it's just not appealing to me

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:49 pm 
willing to display nerd-rage meltdown for custom subnic

ZSloth11 wrote:
I'm a purist. I'll need the final product to be sure, but this just doesn't measure up to Toy Biz. Articulation, paint, sculpting, etc. I won't but ML anymore until they've reached the quality I came to expect from Marvel Legends.

I have about a 70% complete ML collection, with Toybiz and once Hasbro took over. The only reason it's not 100%, is because I don't buy foil variants and international variants. I also didn't buy characters that I either didn't like or Toybiz/Hasbro did a shoddy (I really wanted to say something else) job on them. Scarlett Witch, 1st Appearance Thing, any Hulk before Gray Hulk, movie Daredevil, Emma Frost, movie Juggernaut, and movie Jean Grey to name a few. Those who follow the line closely know that encompasses both manufacturers, and they're all pretty wretched in their own way.

I understood most collectors' frustration when Hasbro initially took over the line. The figures Hasbro were doing weren't very good, and Toybiz had set the bar pretty high. But that was, what, 3 years ago now? Hasbro has really stepped it up, and pretty much everything since the SDCC Savage Land pack has been good. In my humble opinion of course.

I don't fail, I just succeed at finding ways that don't work.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:57 pm 
We're going streaking!

There are some things I like that Toy Biz did better and some that Hasbro definitely improved upon and some of those probably even saved Hasbro money. If Hasbro could combine the best of what they have done (ball-joints that proportional to the rest of the body, much fewer stuck joints, etc) with some of the best that Toy Biz did (smart articulation choices, detail brought out by the paint washes, but Toy Biz over did it on a lot of figures), we might have the perfect Marvel Legends.

But I think Hasbro, which hit a few potholes in the road with the Marvel license, even with their specialty scale and Marvel Universe, has hit a pretty good stride with Marvel Legends and has given me some replacements for some of my Toy Biz MLs, most notably Daredevil. We just needed more than the two packs, so my biggest SDCC 'looking forward to' line is Marvel Legends.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:08 am 
5th Horseman

Wow that is quite the mixed line-up for series one that's reported on the home page now. As an X-Fan, I think Hope is a nice choice. Like X-23 though, I feel like she's not that demanded right now and might have been better served by waiting a few years to let her gain popularity. Thor as the only major A-lister is a bold move too, I guess they really are picking up where they left off!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:58 am 
We're going streaking!

I love Steve Rogers, Coipel Thor and Iron Man (a more accurate Silver Centurion would be great, especially since my Toy Biz version has faded and lost much of its' color). Klaw is great too, but replacing one of the others with a matching classic Black Panther would have made his inclusion much better.

Constrictor is okay. I don't know who Hope Summers is and I hate the inclusion of movie figures in the ML line (in this case, Ghost Rider), dating back to Daredevil. Blade was kind of cool though. The X-Men were not. I wish Ghost Rider was the old Toy Biz blue version with a regular head.

Terrax is a most welcome addition! And I only need two personal 'eh!' figures to get him. Overall, I am satisfied with Wave 1 and am looking forward to giving my 6-inch Marvel figures some love again.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:57 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

There were some pretty bad Marvel Legends under Toy Biz, but in my opinion I just don't think Hasbro's measure up. Mostly I just don't find them detailed enough or articulated in the right ways. I respect anyone's opinion, I'm just stating my own. I personally hate swivel-jointed elbows and knees. I prefer double jointed. There are a few Hasbro figures I'm proud to own (Lord of Asgard Thor, 1st appearance Captain America, Annihilus, Yellowjacket, Xorn), but the others I just don't think come close. Now, upon hearing this line-up, I do have to say it got me in a few ways. I've always wanted a good Constrictor, Klaw, and I'm curious as to the Steve Rogers and Iron Man. I most likely won't get Thor, Ghost Rider, or Hope Summers (just because I'm only familiar with her as a baby, need to catch up on things...), and though I adore Terrax, I just don't have the money to spend buying figures I don't want.

YEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH