Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Toys 'r' Us file for bankruptcy.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:57 pm 
Fugitive Dust

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/toys ... ructuring/

As someone I follow on twitter said, maybe they should've rebranded when the adult collectors' market became a seemingly bigger deal.

Post subject: Re: Toys 'r' Us file for bankruptcy.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:25 pm 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

Part of the restructuring happening as part of the filing is, obviously, closing some of the stores.

An official press release from TRU says that some stores are being folded into a combo Toys/Baby R Us, some are just clearing out and shutting down.

We have two stores in Rochester and one of them (Greece) has confirmed they are shutting down. The other store (Henrietta) hasn’t made an official comment yet, but is thinking it will combo with the Babies R Us currently across the street.

I’m hoping they decide to do an overhaul to their on line presence as well so I’ll still have a fair shot at picking up what I’d like for me and my son, as it is now, going into the stores is a crap shoot at the best of times.

Anyone else know what’ll be happening in their area?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:15 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

We're losing three in Kentucky. The only store in Lexington, an Express store just east of Louisville and the store I used to work at in Louisville. We lost one about three or four years back but that one was anticipated to go if they ever were to close any of them. The one I worked at is in the "rich" end of town and was the money-maker store of the four in the area when I was there, I guess a lot has changed in the last 27/28 years... They put in a Babies R Us across the street some years ago and it's the only one in town though it never seems to be busy from the street (I've only been inside once). Really surprised that they didn't merge the two of them. I need to get over to Lex one more time as it was the nicest looking store in the region and get back to my old store to get contact info from the one guy that's still there from my days there. This is something like the third or fourth owner of the company in that time and he's gone through all of that, I really hope that after all of that time he gets to transfer to another store, if that's what he wants, that is...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:23 pm 
Excelsior!

The one in Framingham, Mass is closing as is the one in Northborough. I will be buying much less toys and stuffed animals than I used to because of this.

Disney Afternoon Wishlist: Huey, Dewey, Louie, Launchpad, Webby, Monterey Jack, Gadget, Gosalyn, Negaduck, Megavolt, Bushroot, Kit, Rebecca, Molly, Louie, Wildcat, Don Karnage, Shere Khan, Fat Cat, Cubbi, Tummi, Zummi, Grammi, Zummi, Sunni, Gizmoduck.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:33 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

Yeah, they are officially closing both stores in my area. Closest one left open will about 1.5 hours away.

Was talking with an employee yesterday and they said it wasn’t announced yet but they are locking doors on the 17th and all unsold merch was being transferred to other stores. They still had pallets of unopened boxes on the floor so I’m not sure that is entirely true. Either way, it’s still sad.

Thanks for the fun TRU. It was nice knowing you.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:16 am 
Excelsior!

Turns out they are just closing the Babies R Us in Framingham and the Toys is staying in business. A bit of a relief.

Disney Afternoon Wishlist: Huey, Dewey, Louie, Launchpad, Webby, Monterey Jack, Gadget, Gosalyn, Negaduck, Megavolt, Bushroot, Kit, Rebecca, Molly, Louie, Wildcat, Don Karnage, Shere Khan, Fat Cat, Cubbi, Tummi, Zummi, Grammi, Zummi, Sunni, Gizmoduck.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:18 am 
Aspires to be #1

I will be shocked if the store in College Station stays open. It’s very old, very small and very outdated as far as selection and layout goes.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:58 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

Found out that the Lexington store is staying open, it's the Babies R Us that's closing. I do need to get to my old store pretty soon, it's already in close-out mode and I don't want to miss going back at least one more time...