Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Days gone by...
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:32 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

When I was a kid there were three main stores I bought my toys -- K-Mart, Ayr-Way and Roses. Sure there were other places that were great for toys, but those three were the best places, locally, to get Megos.

There was one particular K-Mart that was almost always the last stop on any given trip to Louisville (there or Ayr-Way as they were both the last to close at 10 pm). I took these pictures a few months back but I haven't really had the heart to write about it until now...

This was *the* K-Mart I bought my first Mego, a WGSH Superman, on the first day I ever laid eyes on one. It was 1972 and I had $2 burning a hole in my pocket when I found that endcap full of Superman, Aquaman, Batman and Robin (both with removable masks). I pleaded my case for the 10 cents I would still need for sales tax and Superman went home with me that night. I remember getting a few Adventure Team items there before that but this was my first *real* toy purchase that was completely my idea and that was the beginning of me as a collector.

The place had been through a couple of remodels since then (anyone else remember when all of the discount stores had the giant plate glass windows behind the checklanes?) but it was so sad seeing the empty interior when I got up to the doors...

There's only one K-Mart left in the Louisville area now, though I still have a few options if I want to head toward Lexington...

Like I said above those were the three main places I got my toys but there were so many others were I would normally just browse that have gone away, too.

T.W. Grants
J.J. Newberry's
Britt's
Zayre
Ames
McCrory
T.G.&Y.
Thornbury's Toys
K & K Toys
Kay-Bee Toys
Circus World
The Toy Store
Children's Palace
Big K
Woolworth
Woolco
G.E.S.
Consolidated Sales Company
Almart
Biggs Hypermart
F.A.O. Schwartz
Kresge
Bud's Outlet
Toy Works
Hill's
Dispensa's Castle of Toys
Western Auto
Montgomery Ward
McFrugal's

I know a few of those still are still in operation but they're all gone from the local area...

...and that's not mentioning the Christmas Catalogs from Penny's, Sears and Wards...

It's such a shame that kids don't have much interest in toys past the preschool items anymore and it's a shame that there is so little choice among retailers now. Seems that everywhere you go the all retailers have the same product.

You guys have any special memories of the local toy scene when you were growing up?...

Post subject: Re: Days gone by...
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:07 am 
my apartment smells of rich mahogany

I remember going to Hill's. They had a great selection of LEGO. Every summer when my brother went to camp, my parents would take me there and let me pick out a LEGO set. My favorite was the Beach Rescue Chopper, which I still have.

No K-Mart around here anymore.

Post subject: Re: Days gone by...
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:03 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

The last K-Mart in Louisville is set to close sometime this month. May already be gone for all I know, I haven't had the heart to go check... Guess I should check on the status of the ones off to the east...