Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Another TRU bites the dust
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:31 pm 
MINT!

Today I went to my closest TRU, about a 20 minute drive, only to discover they are closing shop. I assumed this was coming since the shopping center is getting an overhaul, but the manager said they were closing for good. I am quite divided on how I feel about this. On one hand they never were very helpful over the phone and in store. I remember begging them to hold a Masterpiece Prime for me and they refused. I received the same response with MP Soundwave. However on the other hand I would have missed out on many great finds had I not stopped at my only local TRU. My only hope is that one will pop up close or I'll be left paying a premium for those damn TRU exclusives, like the ML X-Men First Class set and the next MP TF's that hit the states, and anything else exclusive to TRU. TRU's seem to be as allusive as their store exclusives. I guess I can constantly check their website for anything I need to add to my collection but it won't be the same not having that store around. I remember getting my fist copy of Super Mario Brothers there. My only final hope is that the Babies R Us a mere 5 minutes away will become a TRU/BRU super store. "Sure dear, I'll go get some more diapers, Legos, Joes, Turtles, Jedi, Spider-Men, X-Men, Batman, Superman, Transformers, and Baby Formula."

Post subject: Re: Another TRU bites the dust
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:21 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

In the 14 years I've been out here, I've seen two TRU's close. Fortunately, there are still three within a reasonable driving distance (and two more if I don't mind a longer trip). One of them became a Target, so it was kind of a wash. :lol:

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:53 am 
5" Scale

I think it has been maybe 2 in my area too? The first one is still a vacant lot, along with Target. I have to assume that they haven't sold is because of the property prices bottomed out. Our property certainly went down in value when this happened. What really surprised me was that the Target moved and was rebuilt in the mall, but the TRU didn't. I think what has saved the bacon for TRU is they've combined TRU and BRU in most locations.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:50 pm 
declined to be a vampire

I'm close to an hour to my closest TRU. I've come to despise the store, to be quite honest.

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:04 pm 
MINT!

Like I said I hope my BRU becomes a TRU/BRU just so I can find the store exclusives and hunt in wild. My Target is ok but CS is severely lacking. Most likely I'll end up on eBay or BBTS paying a premium for the exclusives.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:36 pm 
5" Scale

I got burned by the online store in the year before lasts Black Friday sale and don't frequent them much because of it. Sadly I have friends who work for them and a young son. So I still go in on occasion, but I shopped mainly at Target and Amazon this year for the holidays.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:22 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

I assume you mean the Rockville one..

I heard about that-- but honestly I thought it was the worst TRU in the area.. (although they have been a dying breed).. It was the worst one to get into/out of -- and just never seemed to have the selection of the others around the area.. (Not to mention it was the higher priced TRU in the area.)-- like 10% higher than all the other stores based on the location..

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:27 am 
MINT!

I am talking about the Rockville one. I have always had better luck with the one in Gaithersburg, but it is more of a haul.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:26 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd

Lango7 wrote:
I am talking about the Rockville one. I have always had better luck with the one in Gaithersburg, but it is more of a haul.

Yeah Gaithersburg was decent- although that one was higher priced as well-- (that's what happens when the county is in the top 10 richest in the nation (and not to mention the highest minimum wage)

Yeah-- I always have the most luck with the one down in Clinton-- (you find the oddest stuff there)--especially when I head back home-- based on its location-- there just isn't a big action figure collector market there-- so even a lot of the good stuff sits for a while-

However Frederick never really was that bad either (although the manager was a star wars collector and always got first dibs)-- but since the regional distribution center is only about 5 miles away, they usually got everything first..

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:20 am 
Aspires to be #1

This seems like a good place to put this. I went into the one TRU we have here in town yesterday to get something for a friend who just had a baby. I haven't been to this store looking for toys for myself really at all in the last two years I've lived here but I wasn't surprised at what I found either. You can get the following "hot" items from Mattel at this TRU

The peg warmers from DCUC wave 12
YJ 6 in. Aqualad
YJ Aquaman/Aqualad 2-pack
Captain Marvel/Black Adam DCUC 2-pack
Some random wave 2 packs of Action League

Well done Mattel and TRU.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:50 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

Id put that more on TRU than on Mattel, but, yeah, I've got mostly the same hanging on my pegs here as well.

We didn't have TRU in my area when I was growing up, we didn't get them until the late 80's/early 90's right around the time that Toy Biz launched X-Men and I was in the store close to every night looking for them.

Aside from some layout changes, the stores have been pretty much the same since they opened. Get the goods when the first case is opened or miss out entirely. Its nestled into a nice "shortcut" for me to skirt around some of the denser traffic and within a quick walk from work, so I stop in fairly regularly still, but my purchases from TRU are down to maybe $50-$75 a year, and most of that is on Skylanders and exclusive Imaginext.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:14 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

I would be distraught if my closet TRU closed lol. I have so many great memories at my local one. I can't see it closing ever though. Since it opening in 1991-1992 I has been steadily packed. Just like the other 2 in my city. Especially on weekends, there is a crazy amount of people in them. My local one always has a great selection and new product weekly.