Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 481 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 33  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pet Peeves
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:43 am 
Disney is not his cup of tea

Some smaller towns have what are refereed to as blue laws still. Some don't even enforce them but some places follow them. My parents were those Antiquarians who closed their store on Sunday because the rest of Mullica Hill did so.

I don't open on Sunday (although that's usually a local convention day always a comic show somewhere around here), Monday I remain closed and Tuesday I stay closed, although some of the local kids come by and play D&D. Just because I'm closed on Monday and Tuesdays doesn't mean I'm not there doing something. I just don't see enough business to really make it worth it.

Sundays and Mondays have always been weak business days for small 'mom and pop' places.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:31 am 
5" Scale

I hear you on the certified J1H. My mom recently sent me some important stuff and sent it certified and I was like WTF? If you are concerned about it, stick a delivery confirmation on it. It was my birth certificate and things pertaining to my father, but still c'mon. You pay the extra money for certified, but fold my BC in half. Parents :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:35 am 
Aspires to be #1

stewbacca wrote:
Van Statten wrote:
Who the hell sends something certified within the US... you only do for mail coming and going out of the country. Or if you're sending legal documents...

Or to guarantee the mail was delivered to the person you mailed it to-- You cant do delivery confirmation on an enevelope-- the only way to prove delivery is to send it certified-- if its not over a certain thickness USPS cant even consider it a package even if you want them to for D/C--

So I think its 100% reasonable on the sellers part-- especially since with the new rules of ebay to maintain favored seller status (and your discount) you must upload a tracking number-- the only way to do this with an envelope-- (and for this seller to keep his discount) is to send it certified..

You guys really need to look at the big picture before thinking a seller is doing something wrong and unreasonable.

I understand that, but it was one magic card that cost 6 dollars. If it never made it to me and he said he sent it, that would have been the end of it. But now, I've had a big hassle just trying to get the thing since I know it's here and I did pay for it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:35 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

j1h15233 wrote:
stewbacca wrote:
Or to guarantee the mail was delivered to the person you mailed it to-- You cant do delivery confirmation on an enevelope-- the only way to prove delivery is to send it certified-- if its not over a certain thickness USPS cant even consider it a package even if you want them to for D/C--

So I think its 100% reasonable on the sellers part-- especially since with the new rules of ebay to maintain favored seller status (and your discount) you must upload a tracking number-- the only way to do this with an envelope-- (and for this seller to keep his discount) is to send it certified..

You guys really need to look at the big picture before thinking a seller is doing something wrong and unreasonable.

I understand that, but it was one magic card that cost 6 dollars. If it never made it to me and he said he sent it, that would have been the end of it. But now, I've had a big hassle just trying to get the thing since I know it's here and I did pay for it.

Yeah its extreme-- but I still blame ebay on this one-- for their damn policies to maintian top seller status- (which wasnt worth it for me for the 20% discount- on the 8% final value fee- jumping through hoops was not worth saving 1.5% )

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:46 am 
Aspires to be #1

Well I've got a friend going to pick it up for me today so hopefully the post office hasn't lost it or sent it back early or anything like that.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:30 am 
Aspires to be #1

You'll never guess what happened! My friend went to the post office to get my package for me and they can't find it! Super shocked!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:55 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Another classic example of government at work. The sooner they shut down the postal service, the better. With email, the internet, UPS, and FEDEX, do we really need it any more?

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:13 pm 
Aspires to be #1

Shellhead wrote:
Another classic example of government at work. The sooner they shut down the postal service, the better. With email, the internet, UPS, and FEDEX, do we really need it any more?

The ONLY good thing about them at this point is the printing of shipping labels and I don't do that enough to warrant them being in business. I don't even know where to go from here. They told my friend they would call me when they found it but I'm not expecting that call. I guess I'll have to call them tomorrow and find out what's going on over there.

Has this ever happened to anyone before?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:18 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

Honestly no, I lived in apartment building where the doorman signed for everything. And anything of that nature now is delivered to the shop where I always am most of the time.

I have heard stories of it but that package is probably small and just misplaced and should turn up in that office.

Wanting the post office to close up shop is retarded. Most people don't even want to pay their S&H prices now as it is, God forbid if we had monsters like UPS and FEDex which I personally don't care for. And those other two are not without their own horror stories. The USPS gets some bad press, I do back that the office doors and desk should be open much later. It's like the DMV here closes at 4:30 PM how ridiculous is that?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:34 pm 

We'll just have to agree to disagree. The post office is last century's technology. Shut it down. Somebody will take over it's business model and do it better and more efficiently. Best of all, my tax dollars won't have to support it anymore.

If it was any good as what it does, it wouldn't be bleeding millions upon millions of dollars each and every month. 80-90% of what I get in my mailbox these days is junk anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:15 am 
Aspires to be #1

Shellhead wrote:
We'll just have to agree to disagree. The post office is last century's technology. Shut it down. Somebody will take over it's business model and do it better and more efficiently. Best of all, my tax dollars won't have to support it anymore.

If it was any good as what it does, it wouldn't be bleeding millions upon millions of dollars each and every month. 80-90% of what I get in my mailbox these days is junk anyway.

I agree. All of my bills are sent by email and paid automatically, the only two times a year we get cards are Christmas and birthdays, and magazines come right to the iPad. Almost everything that arrives in my mailbox goes straight to the trash.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:29 am 

Once the Boomers die off, it should disappear. Old people LOVE their mail.

I honestly believe mail, newspapers, magazines, and other print media (including, sadly, comic books) will all implode by 2025 (if not before).

A generation from now, the mailman will be about as relevant as the milkman.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:08 am 
Aspires to be #1

Well, there may be a happy ending. I called the post office myself today and was actually able to talk to the guy who works our route. He was able to find the item that no one else could find, offered to sign it and leave it in my mailbox for me. Hopefully he follows through and all will end well.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:41 am 
Aspires to be #1

Shellhead wrote:
Once the Boomers die off, it should disappear. Old people LOVE their mail.

I honestly believe mail, newspapers, magazines, and other print media (including, sadly, comic books) will all implode by 2025 (if not before).

A generation from now, the mailman will be about as relevant as the milkman.

I agree. Think about how much money could be saved in the paper and printing alone.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:06 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Shellhead wrote:

Definitely have to disagree--

Why would I want Fed ex or UPS-- went to the UPS store-- to get something overnighted- was $56.00, same package for the post office-- 18.00.. I think too many people take it all for granted--
Fed Ex and UPS work well for high volume clients- they can provide a bulk discount-- but for ones and twosies- thats where the Post office makes up in volume and gets you the cheaper rate..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 481 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 33  Next