Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 481 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 33  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pet Peeves
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:34 am 
proverbial old fart

Loved the clip! :lol:

Perfect example of the dumbing down of society. . . What do you bet she ends up with at least 4 kids by 4 different men before she's 30...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:19 pm 
Unbreakable

That was awesome. I wish I had the Alamo Drafthouse here where I live. As it is, I refuse to go to the movies within two weeks of opening day because of all of the d-bags that talk and text during movies.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:58 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

alcinde4 wrote:
vader wrote:

Thanks for that Peter. That was effing hilarious!! :lol: :lol: The funniest thing to me (and another one of my pet peeves), is that if she would've gotten to the theater on time (you know, before the movie actually starts :roll:) she wouldn't have been in the dark trying to find her seat...

Okay I have a new pet peeve-- people that actually are taking the girls side in this -- read the comments-- I cant wait for the day when we can slap people for being stupid through their computer screen...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:07 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

Back in college, my neighbor and his roommate kept a "stupid stick" velcro-ed to the ceiling. It was just a cardboard tube taken out of a roll of Christmas wrapping paper but getting whopped in the head for saying something blatantly stupid still made an impact.

Only problem is, that stick only lasted about a week.

Either it was really shoddily constructed, or we did a LOT of stupid stuff ...

:wink:
:lol:

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:17 am 
Far Too Concerned with his Post Count

bnjmnrlyr wrote:
Back in college, my neighbor and his roommate kept a "stupid stick" velcro-ed to the ceiling. It was just a cardboard tube taken out of a roll of Christmas wrapping paper but getting whopped in the head for saying something blatantly stupid still made an impact.

Only problem is, that stick only lasted about a week.

Either it was really shoddily constructed, or we did a LOT of stupid stuff ...

:wink:
:lol:

We have a Cricket bat. It is called the board of education. :mrgreen:

CCC.

Museum Super Collector.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:30 am 
Aspires to be #1

Sometimes I wonder if America is really getting this dumb or if we always were but the internet wasn't around for us to realize it

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:45 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

We've always been a bit ignorant but it does seem to be getting worse with each generation.

Example: I recently witnessed 2 'tweens arguing over buying a poster. They both obviously wanted it but weren't sure if they had enough to cover the cost (tax never even entered into their conversation).

This is how the conversation went:

Kid1: Man that is suh-weet! I gotta get it.
Kid2: you can't buy that. its gotta be more'n you can spend.
k1: naw, my moms gave me some money
k2: how much?
k1: 10 bucks
k2: nice! we should go get lunch...
k1: that's already covered. this tens on top of that
k2: nice! I still don't think you can afford it though.
k1: why not? its only $8.99
k2: naw see, you ain't remembering it right. See that .99 means its more than that. you gotta go up some first. Your 10 aint enough.
k1: but I got 10, that's more than $8.99
k2: naw, idiot, you forgot to round up first, remember. You won't have enough.
k1: damn, your right. I forgot about rounding. Stupid idiot pricing. They should just make this stuff easy...

and then they both walk off ...

I would've loved to actually laugh at all of this, but its sad really.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:54 am 
proverbial old fart

I see a career at Mickey-D's for the two poster children... Thank ghod the register is a pictogram so they can place your order. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:07 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Well let me put it this way- when I was in the 8th Grade- The number of 1600s on SATs was 8... Which meant they got every question right... When I last heard the University of Maryland -(say 2005)- had 22 1600's in the incoming class -- However you no longer require a perfect (not to mention getting to use a calculator) to get that score. My 1410-- back then - now is a 1600. (not to mention many of the scores below that as well -- (I think everything above 1300 when I took it now qualifies for a 1600)....
The county I went to high school in SR year decided that not enough students were getting a high enough score on the functional math test (Addition, subtraction, word problems, telling time etc.. (you took it in 9th grade)(if you failed you took it again each following year) -- you needed a 32/50 to pass... They decided to make sure they kept getting state education funding, to lower the required score-- to a 24--- so now you needed below a 50% in functional math (named because the skills on the test were what were required to function in real life) to graduate... And then came the county paper articles claiming how all the local school had gotten their best scores ever-- not mentioning once the lowering of standards...
I used to believe in the Star Trek prinicple-- that as we go on-- things that were insanely hard in the old days- is now common and necessary knowledge in the future-- (such as everyone knowing vector calculus to be able to do anything)-- however-the truth is I believe we are closer to Idiocracy, and we head closer down that path-- with every new show put on by MTV-- (really-- glorifying Jersey Shore, 16 and Pregnant and other shows-- Im sure originally they were put on because they were supposed to be shock TV- but now thats what people actually aspire to be on), or celebrity book that hits the shelves-- really who gave Snooki a book deal-- (I hope that person got fired.....)

Sometimes I wish that Rapture guy was right... Or at least let the four horseman ride wwith an IQ test in hand..

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:09 am 
Aspires to be #1

Glenn2000 wrote:
I see a career at Mickey-D's for the two poster children... Thank ghod the register is a pictogram so they can place your order. :wink:

The register could be voice activated and those morons would screw it up.

This is one for me now. People at fast food places messing up my order. I've had probably 8 out of 10 orders screwed up lately. My favorite one came from Whataburger. I ordered a chicken sandwich plain. I ate half of it and then discovered that the other half was covered in mayonnaise. So I'm assuming, that they saw halfway through that it was a plain and just stopped and wrapped up the sandwich. I could come to no further conclusion. Maybe if they people working in these places could actually speak english, this wouldn't be a problem.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:13 am 
Aspires to be #1

stewbacca wrote:
Well let me put it this way- when I was in the 8th Grade- The number of 1600s on SATs was 8... Which meant they got every question right... When I last heard the University of Maryland -(say 2005)- had 22 1600's in the incoming class -- However you no longer require a perfect (not to mention getting to use a calculator) to get that score. My 1410-- back then - now is a 1600. (not to mention many of the scores below that as well -- (I think everything above 1300 when I took it now qualifies for a 1600)....
The county I went to high school in SR year decided that not enough students were getting a high enough score on the functional math test (Addition, subtraction, word problems, telling time etc.. (you took it in 9th grade)(if you failed you took it again each following year) -- you needed a 32/50 to pass... They decided to make sure they kept getting state education funding, to lower the required score-- to a 24--- so now you needed below a 50% in functional math (named because the skills on the test were what were required to function in real life) to graduate... And then came the county paper articles claiming how all the local school had gotten their best scores ever-- not mentioning once the lowering of standards...
I used to believe in the Star Trek prinicple-- that as we go on-- things that were insanely hard in the old days- is now common and necessary knowledge in the future-- (such as everyone knowing vector calculus to be able to do anything)-- however-the truth is I believe we are closer to Idiocracy, and we head closer down that path-- with every new show put on by MTV-- (really-- glorifying Jersey Shore, 16 and Pregnant and other shows-- Im sure originally they were put on because they were supposed to be shock TV- but now thats what people actually aspire to be on), or celebrity book that hits the shelves-- really who gave Snooki a book deal-- (I hope that person got fired.....)

Sometimes I wish that Rapture guy was right... Or at least let the four horseman ride wwith an IQ test in hand..

Education is a joke. I've only taught for one year, and if there were any other jobs available to me I wouldn't be teaching a second year. The modifications and stuff like that alone are overwhelmingly dumb. And I'm not talking about the kids with real problems like dyslexia, I'm talking about the kids who are labeled emotionally disturbed, aka they get no discipline at home, and crap like that.

And another thing I don't agree with, is letting the severely mentally challenged kids go to class with the other kids. I know studies show that it's better for them, but how does it help the other 27 kids in the room when I have to stop every 3 seconds and explain something to one or two kids? Our school system needs a complete overhaul of everything they do or we're in trouble.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:18 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

j1h15233 wrote:
Sometimes I wonder if America is really getting this dumb or if we always were but the internet wasn't around for us to realize it

Rent Idiocracy. We're getting dumber.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:20 am 

A long time ago I stopped at a McD at 2 am. There were 2 guys inside. I ask if they were in line, they said no. I stepped up to the counter and waited 15 min for someone to take my order, then sat and watched the clock for another 20 min before my "fast" food was ready. After that I would not give them my money until my food was on the counter. You would be surprised at how fast they can get your order out when they need to clear that register. 8)

CCC.

Museum Super Collector.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:39 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Glenn2000 wrote:

The worst is when the registers have chip issues and they cant take any orders-- beacuse they couldnt give change (the calculator function wasnt working)--- Happened for real to me one at a Roy Rogers-- they couldnt figure out how to give me change for 1.04 out of 2.00..

However there are advantages-- like when you shop at target and you have a 10% off coupon for something-- and the machine wasnt taking it-so he had to manually figure out the discount---- I need to remember that 10% of 19.99 is 9.99... apparently 10% means everything after the tens column-- my wife and I were dumbfounded (because he had to get another cashier to help-- I can only imagine these two cheating on a test)-- he was almost willing to give it to me for free so he didnt have to do the math...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:34 pm 

I went to the Racetrac in Humble for gas right after it opened. I got $15 and gave him a $20. He gave me 3 $5's. I actually stood there and thought about it for a minute, then gave him back the other 2 5's. My reward for being honest? I had to stop going there because whenever I did, I had some kind of problem.

CCC.

Museum Super Collector.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 481 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 33  Next