Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Apple iOS 6.0 is out!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:38 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

So ... anyone else do the update?

I started mine last night. 4.5 hours later and its like I have a new phone.

Updated and improved connectivity. Instant Facebook and Twitter links to everything. Improved apps. Improved Maps....

Wow. 210 updates in total across pretty much everything the iPhones and iPads had to offer.

I'll let everyone my real opinion after having played with it for a few days but first impressions ... me = giddy.

Post subject: Re: Apple iOS 6.0 is out!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:39 am 
Aspires to be #1

I ran my last night too. Didn't take nearly that long for me, about an hour. I'm impressed so far but I usually am with the things Apple has to offer. Honestly though, my favorite new feature is probably Do Not Disturb. I set it up last night so now from 11 PM to 6 AM, I can leave my phone sound on but not be interrupted by anything unless it's really important. The twitter and facebook integration is really nice and makes it so much easier to share things across the system. My wife and I will also make good use of the new shared photo streams once she gets her phone updated.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:08 am 
An Insider

I did mine this morning about 45 min long.. I'm digging the new features as well..
Speaking of IPhone - I have the 4s and contract not up till Summer of 2013 so can't upgrade to Iphone 5..
My other thought is to wait out the kinks and bugs till next year anyhow..
Anybody have the 4s and spending the extra dough to get Iphone 5 ??

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:30 am 
Aspires to be #1

I'm getting the iPhone 5 but I'm coming from the 4 so it's been more than 2 years since we got that one. What sucks is that I got up about 4 hours after preorders started and I won't get mine until Oct. 5th.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:20 am 
5" Scale

I updated my 3GS and I think my wife did the same last night. Do you guys have a link to what the updates are? I'd love to set up that do not disturb feature, but the only change I've noticed so far is the passport folder. Nevermind, found the DND in the settings. I'm trying to convince the mrs. that we should skip the 4, but as with anything, money is a factor. Which service provider are you two with? I'm with AT&T.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:36 am 
Aspires to be #1

The_Donster wrote:
I updated my 3GS and I think my wife did the same last night. Do you guys have a link to what the updates are? I'd love to set up that do not disturb feature, but the only change I've noticed so far is the passport folder. Nevermind, found the DND in the settings. I'm trying to convince the mrs. that we should skip the 4, but as with anything, money is a factor. Which service provider are you two with? I'm with AT&T.

I'm with AT&T as well. Have you guys looked at the shared data plans? My wife and I went from 550 minutes to unlimited and 250 mb a piece to 1 GB shared of data and we actually saved $10 a month. Might be worth looking at if you both have iPhones. Also, go in to Notification Center and you can schedule the DND settings.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:00 am 

I'm on Verizon, currently using a 4, and up for renewal in February so that's when I'll be getting my 5.

I'll be updating my son's iPad tonight (he has a gen2) and checking out the 2 machines side by side to see what one has the other doesn't.

I noticed last night when I started my download that there was a tab to click during the download that would open to a list of what the update included with divisions per device/generation. Like I said, all in all there were just over 210 updates to everything, some exclusive to a specific gen of a device, some exclusive to a country or language (like China got a bunch of exclusive language models), etc.

I still don't understand why Siri wasn't added to everything at this point. All iPhones from the 3G forward have the technical capability of running it, but Apple will only offer it up to 4s and newer phones and now, gen3 iPads.

Facetime without WiFi is probably going to be my most used new feature as I start another year as PTA president for my son's school (Rochester School for the Deaf).

Not a big fan of the new layout for itunes and the Appstore, but it should only be a bit before I grow used to it and hate the next iteration instead.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:09 am 
Aspires to be #1

bnjmnrlyr wrote:
I'm on Verizon, currently using a 4, and up for renewal in February so that's when I'll be getting my 5.

I'll be updating my son's iPad tonight (he has a gen2) and checking out the 2 machines side by side to see what one has the other doesn't.

I noticed last night when I started my download that there was a tab to click during the download that would open to a list of what the update included with divisions per device/generation. Like I said, all in all there were just over 210 updates to everything, some exclusive to a specific gen of a device, some exclusive to a country or language (like China got a bunch of exclusive language models), etc.

I still don't understand why Siri wasn't added to everything at this point. All iPhones from the 3G forward have the technical capability of running it, but Apple will only offer it up to 4s and newer phones and now, gen3 iPads.

Facetime without WiFi is probably going to be my most used new feature as I start another year as PTA president for my son's school (Rochester School for the Deaf).

Not a big fan of the new layout for itunes and the Appstore, but it should only be a bit before I grow used to it and hate the next iteration instead.

I have the iPad 2. It gets pretty much everything the 4 does. The only differences I have found is that Passbook does not make it to the iPad while 3D mapping does.

Concerning Siri, Apple usually doesn't care if something can run a program, but cares if that program can be run well.

And I am liking the subtle and non subtle design changes to the entire OS so far. I also really like the new phone features where you can reply with a text if you can't answer.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:34 pm 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

I updated my iPad 2 last night it didn't take too long about 45 min maybe. I haven't done my phone yet (iPhone 4) since I have it jail broken so I can tether my pad to it while I'm out and about. I preordered my girlfriend the iPhone 5 today as an early bday present since her birthday is the 3rd of next month but she will still be able to get it tomorrow. I had heard from a friend that a friend of his got Siri on his iPhone 4 but I was a bit skeptical about believing it, does anyone know if this is true or not?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:47 pm 
Aspires to be #1

Nonnahir wrote:
I updated my iPad 2 last night it didn't take too long about 45 min maybe. I haven't done my phone yet (iPhone 4) since I have it jail broken so I can tether my pad to it while I'm out and about. I preordered my girlfriend the iPhone 5 today as an early bday present since her birthday is the 3rd of next month but she will still be able to get it tomorrow. I had heard from a friend that a friend of his got Siri on his iPhone 4 but I was a bit skeptical about believing it, does anyone know if this is true or not?

Only if its jail broken. The iPhone 4 did not get Siri in the update.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:17 am 

so my son noticed that YouTube is gone from my iPhone and his iPad now.

The app is an "iPhone app" and is really wonky on his iPad.

WTF?

We've just gone to the site and added a link to the home screen as a simple work around, but why the split with Apple? Is it so integrated with Google now that Apple won't touch it anymore?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:26 am 
Aspires to be #1

bnjmnrlyr wrote:
so my son noticed that YouTube is gone from my iPhone and his iPad now.

The app is an "iPhone app" and is really wonky on his iPad.

WTF?

We've just gone to the site and added a link to the home screen as a simple work around, but why the split with Apple? Is it so integrated with Google now that Apple won't touch it anymore?

I thought the Youtube app was a universal app? I guess I haven't tried it on my iPad yet. And Apple basically purged the default google apps from their system now, which in the case of Youtube, was not a bad thing. That app had basically been untouched from day one.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:56 pm 
Daniel Pickett

Yes. Apple re-did the Maps app to boot Google and use their own propitiatory maps system (a company Apple bought a few years back). They also pulled the YouTube app, but YouTube created their own app in anticipation and released it about 2 weeks before the new iOS came out.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:58 pm 
Aspires to be #1

Posting from my iPhone 5 now. This thing is a major speed upgrade from the 4. Very impressed so far

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:14 am 

grr.... Feb can't get here fast enough (for my renewal upgrade).....