Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: I know Caped_Crusader won't agree (Super Bowl related)
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:44 am 
declined to be a vampire

But I sure hope that college football NEVER implements a playoff system if it's going to be remotely similar to what the NFL has.

The thought of a 9-7 regular season team winning the Super Bowl makes me sick.

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

Post subject: Re: I know Caped_Crusader won't agree (Super Bowl related)
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:38 am 
Aspires to be #1

They earned it, who cares. It's no better than having 2 undefeated teams and like 8 1 loss teams all claiming a share of the title every year.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:49 am 
declined to be a vampire

j1h15233 wrote:
They earned it, who cares. It's no better than having 2 undefeated teams and like 8 1 loss teams all claiming a share of the title every year.

While the BCS obviously isn't ideal, what's the point in even having a regular season if a team with a 56% winning % is playing for the title?

I suppose the only thing that makes this remotely tolerable is, at the very least, they were the 6th best team in the NFC. Does go to show parity, but I still don't like it. Not the way it's set up.

If/when college goes to a playoff, I absolutely hope that they don't take auto bids (which they will).

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:58 am 
Aspires to be #1

I'll always favor this over the college system. Yea the Giants might win the title after only winning 9 games in the regular season but how many college teams win 10, 11, 12 games and don't even get a shot at the title?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:15 am 
declined to be a vampire

j1h15233 wrote:
I'll always favor this over the college system. Yea the Giants might win the title after only winning 9 games in the regular season but how many college teams win 10, 11, 12 games and don't even get a shot at the title?

I think a playoff is obviously better than the BCS.

But if I have to choose between the BCS, and a playoff system where teams get auto bids, I'l take the BCS everyday.

Because that 11-1 Michigan State team may get left out of a playoff for a 6-6 Louisville team, because Louisville won their conference (far inferior I might add) while Michigan State didn't win theirs (just picked two teams at random)

At least in the BCS, the two teams playing for the title excelled all year long, and didn't play poorly (no matter what reason) and squeak into the post season.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:24 am 
Aspires to be #1

It's not the Giants fault that the teams who played well all year long (Packers, Saints, 49ers) couldn't win when it mattered. The BCS system is the worst thing in sports, just barely edging out the bowls. Congrats half of the teams that exist, you get a bowl!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:54 am 
declined to be a vampire

j1h15233 wrote:
It's not the Giants fault that the teams who played well all year long (Packers, Saints, 49ers) couldn't win when it mattered. The BCS system is the worst thing in sports, just barely edging out the bowls. Congrats half of the teams that exist, you get a bowl!

Huge difference. Bowl games =/= a shot at the national title. You will never ever hear me say that I think half of college football should play in a bowl.

At least this year, in the NFL...6 teams from each division...the 6 "best records" went. But I hate to think the world champ will be 1 game over .500

Tell me the last time, in college football, a team that was 1 game over .500 won or even played for a national title?.

The BCS isn't great. I'm not arguing that. But I don't want any kind of system that gives undeserving teams a shot.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:56 am 
declined to be a vampire

My ideal college scenario

8 team playoff. No Auto bids. Go back to 11 game seasons.

as far as the bowl games go, do whatever with them. But take the top 8 teams, and stick them in a playoff. Don't cater to the Big 6, and don't allow teams to get in that don't deserve too, just because they won a bad conference.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:05 am 
Aspires to be #1

When did a college team ever get a chance? What if a team started 0-5 but then won 6 straight? If they played a team that won 10 straight and then had 2 bad losses then anything could happen. The Giants won their division and earned their spot and now they've upset 3 teams with better records. That's the beauty of a playoff. The BCS system will never give us that.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:08 am 
declined to be a vampire

j1h15233 wrote:
When did a college team ever get a chance? What if a team started 0-5 but then won 6 straight? If they played a team that won 10 straight and then had 2 bad losses then anything could happen. The Giants won their division and earned their spot and now they've upset 3 teams with better records. That's the beauty of a playoff. The BCS system will never give us that.

If a team starts off 0-5, they don't deserve a chance. Simple as that.

The BCS won' be around forever. I think we both know that. They are already talking a +1 game (step in the right direction). But I'll never favor a system that gives auto berths and leaves deserving teams at home.

I mean, wasn't it just a few years ago that a 11-5 Patriots team didn't go to the playoffs over a 9-7 or 10-6 team? I can't support that, especially in a more select group of teams.

I don't disagree with the beauty of the playoff. And this year (retracting a bit from my earlier statement) at least NGY had one of the best 6 records.

But in the past it hasn't always been that way.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:09 am 
declined to be a vampire

And Joel...the beauty of college football is, teams get a chance.

Oklahoma State had a shot to play for the title this year. They blew it when they lost to Iowa State.

Stanford had a shot this year. They blew it when they lost to Oregon.

Boise had a shot this year. They blew it when they lost to TCU.

Now, do I like that only 2 teams play for the title in this process? Eh. I really like the +1 idea, and I'm hoping it goes to 8 teams. But NO auto bids. None at all.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:10 am 
declined to be a vampire

I really like what MLB may be doing soon. Two 15 team divisions, top 4 (or 5/6) go.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:20 am 
Aspires to be #1

Bunger43 wrote:

Oklahoma State had a shot to play for the title this year. They blew it when they lost to Iowa State.

Now, do I like that only 2 teams play for the title in this process? Eh. I really like the +1 idea, and I'm hoping it goes to 8 teams. But NO auto bids. None at all.

Being 10-1 or 11-1 and not getting a chance to play for the title never works for me. Personally I like the division format and rewarding the winners. More often than not a team that gets in with a 9-7, 8-8 record doesn't get to the Super Bowl. They're beaten by better teams but at least they got their shot.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:55 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Bunger43 wrote:
I really like what MLB may be doing soon. Two 15 team divisions, top 4 (or 5/6) go.

Or even better the NHL: Two 15 team conferences, 3 divisions. Playoffs: Division leaders get the top three seeds in each coference, 4 through 8 based on points from the regular season. Of course there's talk of conference re-alignment but if it's not broke don't fix it. One exception, move Winnipeg to the Western Conference and Detroit to the Eastern Conference. End of rant. :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:52 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd

Bunger43 wrote:

Alabama had a shot this year. They blew it when they lost to LSU...

Wait -- what.. :shock: