Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: My collection has been given a new lease on life.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:53 pm 
MINT!

Hey everyone. I just had something on my mind and, honestly, this seems like the only place I can share it.

I moved recently, from the small town of Fulton in NY, where I was born and raised, to Richmond, VA. It's my first time living without my parents. I am younger, only 22, and I haven't done much with my life. I decided to move and start over, go to college and get myself on track. Inadvertently, something else happened in the process of moving. The boxes containing my collection disappeared. My theory is that they had gotten mixed in with my donations, which I had a friend take to the thrift store for me. I found out too late. I was already in my apartment unpacking when I noticed the boxes were gone. All that is left is my four NECA TMNT figures. They were my favorites and I always kept them closer than the rest.

This led to a series of different thoughts and emotions. But, now I have finally decided something. My collection was always dedicated to the Turtles and Transformers. I was starting to tire of them, but I always felt like I HAD to keep them. I had to be the guy everyone knew for his love of those two properties. Now though, my collection is gone. I'm in a new place, with new people and no collection whatsoever. I can start over in every way, even to the point of "being all about" something new. I have officially decided to stop collecting Ninja turtles and Transformers. As far as the Turtles are concerned, they have honestly been "sell-outs" since the first cartoon, and Transformers... Well, I've always been a "Beast Wars" man anyway, rather than the regular Transformers.

My new direction is going to be Spider-Man. He's always been my favorite superhero, but he was always on the back burner to other things. I realize more and more now though, that superhero comics "do it" for me much better now than the Turtles have for the last few years. The line I am going after is the 90's animated series. It holds the most value to me, as it was the Spidey I grew up with. I am also going to collect Beast Wars Transformers, as they have been there all along as well, but didn't get as much attention as normal Tformers, since the Autobots still inhabit stores and the Maximals haven't for some time.

If you're wondering, it does have a little to do with the M. Bay debacle. But, really, I have been looking for a way out for a while now. And I still love the Turtles. I just finally grew out of them. And really, the Turtles now are for the next generation, and I have decided to let them go and help another group of kids grow up.

Post subject: Re: My collection has been given a new lease on life.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:24 am 
Daniel Pickett

Wow. heart breaking story Prof K... but I'm glad you found a silver lining and a new direction.

Good luck in all of your new endeavors! As much as most of us don't like massive change, often it can do us good.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:34 am 
MINT!

JuliusMarx wrote:
Wow. heart breaking story Prof K... but I'm glad you found a silver lining and a new direction.

Good luck in all of your new endeavors! As much as most of us don't like massive change, often it can do us good.

That's really what I'm hoping for. My life is taking new turns, so my collecting habits should as well.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:00 pm 
MINT!

Aaand... I have already caved. Haha. I love the Turtles too much, I think. I just got myself a stack of comics... Once a shell-head, always a shell-head. I think I'm just not going to collect them really hardcore like I used to. Like, no need for childrens books and a copy of the movies on every form of media. I'll just get the figures and media I like. Who wants an April doll, anyway?