Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Down but not out.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:47 pm 
Unbreakable

Hey AFi Universe. I had mentioned in another thread but I wanted to move it here so it doesn't derail the original Young Justice Thread since I know what an amazing community of collectors/friends we have here and I expect a plethora of well wishes.

So this Past Wednesday I was diagnosed with Leukemia. It was a crazy whirlwind day that person doesn't expect to hear when they are 38.

After seeing my primary care physician and having blood work done I get a call at 9PM telling me to go STRAIGHT to the emergency room. When I get there the attending physician said "I'm not going to beat around the bush". "We are pretty sure you have Leukemia and you will probably be at University of Kansas Medical center within hours." We can send you via ambulance or have your parents drive you. I opted for abulance since they knew the most direct route and I wanted a little separation from my parents at that time knowing my Mom will lose it and I was trying to hold together until ALL knowledge had been presented. It was hard staying off the internet for those first couple of days as they did tests but I didn't want a list of possibilities. I just wanted fact.

So what are the facts? It turns out I have chronic myeloginus leukemia. While still Leukemia it's a more treatable form. It can be done with chemo taken via a pill. It has a nice chance for remission but ultimately I will need a bone marrow transplant for a cure. Luckily I have an older Brother (the best one on the planet) which gives me a better chance for a match. He goes in Monday to start that process.

I will be happy to answer any questions anyone might have and I am not too proud to ask for thoughts and prayers. I very much want to keep my humor in this situation as that is something that very much defines me as a person. I know there will be sme BAD days ahead but with the lord's help( who has already blessed me with the type of Leukemia I have) I will be strong enough for a comeback tour.

Hopefully I will be "up and running" in time to go to SDCC 2013 so I can gander at the spectacle that it is and meet the AFi crew who I've been reading for YEARS.

Thanks for letting me unload this on you guys.

Post subject: Re: Down but not out.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:57 am 
Aspires to be #1

Sorry to hear this buddy. I hope everything turns out alright and you'll be healed and back on your feet. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:03 am 
5" Scale

Sorry to hear that, but my best on a speedy recovery. My families thoughts are with you.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:31 am 
obsolete and uniquely stupid subnic

That's rough man. I will keep you in my thoughts as you take this on. Here's to a speedy recovery!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:08 pm 
3 3/4"

So very sorry to hear, keep on pushing along, thoughts and prayers are with you.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:29 pm 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

I read what you wrote and admittedly I'm not the best with situations like this but I hope and pray you get better soon. If theres anything I can do here to keep your spirits up let me know

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:45 pm 
My heart is of low-durometer PVC

Kevin is the nicest, most generous person I NEVER met.

This man has helped me collect JLU action figures for years now, simply because I reached out to him as a total stranger on this website.
(when cross-border shopping started to require a passport I was cut off from the Target-exclusive JLU because Canada has no Target stores and I wasn't going to apply for a passport just to drive over just for toys) Numerous times he's gone out of his way to help me just because he's awesome. I know he's helped out other AFI members too. That's just the kind of guy he is.

Through PMs I've gotten to know him and I consider him my friend.

K, this news is very upsetting to me but I know you'll be okay because you've got such a great spirit and great sense of humour. I know you'll be alright.

I think life is like the KOBIYASHI MARU test from Star Trek! It's a test of character.
My friend Kevin from the internet has great character.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:20 am 
Corporate Spin Monkey

Whoa fella, really sorry to hear about your condition.
I think your attitude to the news you've received sounds really positive, despite the seriousness of what may lay ahead. It's that positive attitude that will help you get through the treatment and come out ok.
Really hope the best for you man, and if you need that extra bit of support outside of your family and friends, please keep posting as I'm sure all of us on here will do what we can to keep your spirits up.

Best of luck, and I hope you have as speedy a recovery as possible.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:39 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

Best wishes to you for a speedy and long lasting remission.

Let us know if you need anything, we will do what we can for you.

Sorry to hear this happened.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:53 am 
Santos L. Halper

Best wishes to you sir. I wish you a speedy recovery!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:43 am 
Unbreakable

Thanks alot guys. I am out of the hospital since yesterday afternoon and I am feeling pretty good. Waking up in a normal bed and not a hospital bed does wonders for ones body. Having a solid 8 hours of sleep, without nurses checking temp and blood pressure every two hours, was amazing.

Anyway, I will continue to give updates as I go along. Today I have a BUNCH of paperwork to do. Man...it's just like I'm at work. AFi up on my pc screen. Paperwork at my right hand...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:18 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Best of luck. I hope everything works out for you.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:07 am 
proverbial old fart

So very sorry to learn of your illness, but glad to know you are doing okay. Am spinning the prayer wheels for you.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:38 am 
wears suits so fine they make Sinatra look like a hobo

Just checking in and seeing how you are doing. You have lots of fans here!

Take a walk on the Sunny Side of the Street
http://www.facebook.com/SunnySideNews

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:59 pm 
Unbreakable

Hey thanks for asking. I just had my transplant last night around 1130pm central which effectively makes my new born on date july 4th.
I did quite well with the 8 days of intensive chemo leading up. Terribley nautious but it was necessary.

My doctor today said my immune system will bottom out in a couple days and then slowly regenerate so that I can hopefully be out the hospital in around 14 days.

To keep me semi-amused while I am in here I went out and purchased the entire line of Tranformers Bot Shots. Perfect to fiddle with on my bedside table and no parts to lose.

I will update again in a few days.