Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: I had to put one of my cats down today
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:12 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

I've never had to do it before and it really sucked.

She apparently got something called FIP and there's not really a cure. I could tell she was in a lot of pain. She could barely move and just looked so damn helpless.

Anyway, after a significant sum of money spent on testing, the emergency vet gave me my options. I knew it would be hard, but I decided to be with her when it happened. I owed her that much, at least.

Dee Dee was a beautiful, loving, and wonderful pet. I'm kinda surprised how much it affected me. I'm very much a "people are people and pets are pets" kind of person, but still . . .

Anybody else go through this with a pet? I'll admit I'm feeling kind of guilty, although the logical side of me knows it was an act of mercy.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

Post subject: Re: I had to put one of my cats down today
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:11 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

Not with a pet but this past summer I had to pull the plug on my stepfather. Not the same I know but probably the closet we can come to legally 'putting down' a person. Does it really matter if they are two legged or four legged, when you love them.. passing of anyone or anything hurts the same...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:30 pm 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

I've been through this with my dog sweet pea. It was a very sad time and I actually had a coffin made for her and buried her in the back garden

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:36 pm 
Unbreakable

So very sorry to hear about this Shellhead. I've never gone through it myelf so I can't even begin to imagine the sadness and pain you went through.

Your act of mercy was a truly honorable act of kindness you gave her. Don't feel guilty, feel happy about the time you had together. Not everyone in the world can experience that or even wants to experience that.

I hope the rest of the weekend brings you peace and clarity.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:10 pm 

Thanks for the kind words, guys.

I'm feeling better about it, but I don't want to go through that again anytime soon.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:57 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

That sucks man

I know what its like to have to decide its time for a pet to "go" and I dread ever having to make that decision again.

I feel for you.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:54 am 
wears suits so fine they make Sinatra look like a hobo

awful choice, but necessary. You may second guess your decision, but it was the right one. Don't feel guilty. My condolences. :(

Take a walk on the Sunny Side of the Street
http://www.facebook.com/SunnySideNews

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:11 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Trust me-- Ive been there -- Ive had to put down a Dog and a French Lop Rabbit....

I was there holding them at the time-- when we did it-- its still chokes me up every once in a while-- and I honestly was crying at the point that I did it..
My dog, Lighntning was obviously in pain- to the point that he couldnt even move, the rabbit, Harley Quinn, had some sort of respitory problem and it was spreading through their system.. Now this one I feel more guilty about-- but we had already spent 500.00 on her for tests and other things- the doctor said there was something else he could try -- but it would run close to 2K and there was only a 25% chance it would work.. Regrettably there the financial cost played a point in that decision-- but my wife and I discussed it before hand-- That was one of the hardest decisions I ever made...
Ive also had animals die suddenly (and that is much worse-- Lightnings brother Thunder, died from poisoning-- and we found him dead on the porch coming home from easter, and Ive had 2 other rabbits die-- one my wife came home to and he was just lying dead in the cage- (and he was fine the day before)-- another died from heat exhaustion-- when I found her in her normal hiding spot she was stiff as a board- -due to the apartment complex I lived in being mostly old people who didnt want the A/C on- (it was controlled centrally)-- we had a heat wave and there was nothing I could do about.. So as much as it hurts to put a pet down-- at least you know its going to happen and can be there at the end.. (which I guess is the only real silver lining in that situation.)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:11 am 

Yeah, she seemed fine most of the week. She was a little inactive on Thursday, but she still crawled in my lap and purred that evening. I didn't notice anything amiss on Friday morning (granted, I was hurrying off to work), but once I got home on Friday night, she let out a few cries when I got in the door and it was all downhill from there . . . :(

I'll admit I cried my eyes out during the process. I love cats.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:25 pm 
5" Scale

I'm sorry to hear that SH. It is rough having to put a pet down. I've had to do it with a few of our cats, but the one that killed me was putting my boy Max down a few years back. He was a stray dog who was roaming the neighborhood for quite some time. The folks who had him before us kept trying to lock him up and he'd get out. Once we got him we snipped him and gave him free reign of our house, yard and lots of walks. Unfortunately he developed a tumor in his stomach a few years ago and I had to have him put down. Broke my heart and there isn't a day I don't think about him. He was a beautiful and sweet dog. I know it is hard, but try and remember the good times. It helps ease the pain.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:45 pm 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
Sorry to hear all that everyone. I also know to many it may sound silly, but animals to me have always been just like having a brother or sister or best friend. They are loving, loyal, and never judge or condemn you. My user name is in honor of my Best Friend Dusty. But I don't want to get into what happened I already started to tear up thinking about it, (and it has been almost 10 years.) But yeah again sorry to hear about that shellhead, (same goes for everyone who had to deal with death at some point or another whether with a pet, friend, or family member.)

D.