Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: I bought a Katana...
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:40 pm 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
So I have always been extremely fascinated by Asian Culture and History, but specifcally Chinese and Japanese. Anyhoo, I was at a local Asian antiquities shop where they sell some really cool stuff. (I had been there a few times the past couple of years, and always wanted to buy a Katana, but they were a little too steep for me at the time.) My dad would go with me sometimes, and when we were there he said this shop was actually pretty decent with price and qulaity. (I figured he would know as he went to Hong Kong for 2 or so years back when he was younger.) Anyways I went down today and saw there was a sale, I thought "meh, I'll go look at some cool swords and just yearn for them" then I saw they had a 50% off sale on the 3 blade sets: The Nihontō, or (Katana) Wakizashi, and Tanto. they were only 50 bucks but thought "eh, if I were to buy one I would rather get a better made one." But then I started talking to the salesman who said instead of buying a sword of better quality for 50+ bucks the 3-pack is better and cheaper, as it is 3 blades. But I looked at them and could tell they were just decoration and didn't really like them as much as I did years ago. Plus I still was kind of hesitant on buying anything. But I still wanted to look around... well after an hour and a half of walking around and asking the guy so many questions and deciding if I was actually going to buy something... (I am an extreme penny pincher BTW, lol.) I ended up buying a real Katana instead of the decorative 3-pack, ( the 3-pack was cool but I wanted a real Katana, and always have.. not to harm anyone with, mind you, ;) ) But I just wanted one. Plus it was made by Musashi (who are very good at making Japanese blades) and it was a good buy because I didn't have to order one online for double the price for the same quality. It was either this or actually going to Japan and spending a couple hundred on one, lol. So yeah, after much sweating and stomach aching... I decided to do pull the trigger and buy a Carbon Steel Katana for 139.99... It is awesome, but it will take a few weeks for the buyers remorse to wear off, lol. Also... no more money for this month, :?

D.

Post subject: Re: I bought a Katana...
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:20 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Don't feel bad. I've bought my share of melee weapons. I currently have a short sword, dagger, and bo staff. I dropped just under $200 on the short sword, also made of carbonite steel.

If worse comes to worst, we're in a good position to survive the zombie apocalypse. :mrgreen:

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:23 am 
Aspires to be #1

I can't even imagine the trouble you'd have to go through to buy a Katana in Japan and get that thing back to the US haha.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:34 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

Just ship/mail it back and it shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

Now if you were to try to check it when boarding a plane ... :roll:

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:37 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

I own Nunchuks, a Katana, a Triple Flail, Sansetsukon (the three section staff), a Pair of sais,
and I had made a bo staff out of Bamboo in High School-- but that got shattered at some point (its something I really need to replace)..-- I can handle them all pretty decently (except for the Nunchucks-- since I hit myself a few too many times practicing with them..) -- The rest of the stuff I own is of the more modern variety (although I do have my dads K-Bar from his time in the military) -- compound bow, and an assortment of survival and hunting knives..)

Guns may be easier (but its a lot more fun to hit somebody upside the head every once in a while)

Whats bad was when I went to Star Wars Celebration 2-- I think the only thing I actually bought was from the medieval weapons dealer...[/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:49 pm 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
Shellhead wrote:
Don't feel bad. I've bought my share of melee weapons. I currently have a short sword, dagger, and bo staff. I dropped just under $200 on the short sword, also made of carbonite steel.

If worse comes to worst, we're in a good position to survive the zombie apocalypse. :mrgreen:

Yeah, that's perfect... die Zombies! Die!, ;) Anyways, I prefer knives and other weapons for defense, as I am not a huge gun person. I don't mind them too much, but they are a huge hassle to actually buy IMO (my pops got my brothers some small guns for gifts in the past, not me though,) he got me a Bullet proof vest... I wonder if he was trying to tell me something, lol.

D.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:47 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Oh, I've got guns, too. In Arizona, it's practically a law to own them. :lol:

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:25 am 
PVC

for my home defense/zombie apocalypse I got a mace. It is the star headed mace and it came with a 6 ft haft that I cut down so I could use it in my house. I ended up christening it by using it to take some walls out when my wife and I did some remodeling of out house. I do want to buy some handguns and a rifle or two but I keep putting that money either in to toys or food storage. so that will have to wait i guess

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:22 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Guess that was the one advantage of the colonial times-- As we learned in Gibson's the Patriot-- run out of bullets just melt down some of your avenged kid's toys.

I dont think we will have have the same luck with our little plastic men--

Unles off course they are like the ones in the Last Boy Scout-- those new plastic keys-- the kind that shred...

Hows that for two obscure movie references in one post... 8)