Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: My job hunt
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 7:23 am 
Aspires to be #1

I thought I might as well start a new thread on this instead of talking about it in the pet peeves thread.

I had two interviews on Tuesday and they both went really well. I should be hearing back very soon about both of them and then we'll know if we will be moving or looking at other alternatives.

Post subject: Re: My job hunt
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:24 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

What's your profession? Just curious.

Somebody else who's been on here a long time is a teacher, and I can't remember if it's you.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:13 pm 
Aspires to be #1

That's me. I've been teaching the last two years and I've applied both for teaching jobs and for other jobs.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:58 pm 

What do you teach (or in this day and age, try to teach)?

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 4:21 pm 
Aspires to be #1

I'm teaching high school business classes. This past year I had Business Information Management (used to be bcis) and Business Law.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 4:48 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

j1h15233 wrote:
I'm teaching high school business classes. This past year I had Business Information Management (used to be bcis) and Business Law.

That's cool. When I was in high school we had Marketing Education (ME I and ME II) there was this annual event called DECA (Distributing Education Clubs America) that we would go to. ME II was so different from ME I, there were only 10 of us in the class, the teacher only taking a handful of the top students from ME I; we had to manage the school store, do orders and handle a whole mess of business like functions for the school.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:37 pm 
Aspires to be #1

Yea they still do DECA at our school. One of the kids actually won state for us.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:51 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

j1h15233 wrote:
Yea they still do DECA at our school. One of the kids actually won state for us.

I want to say we took state back in... '95... '96 I can't remember if it was my Junior or Senior Year? I'm not even sure we did but I know we kicked some ass one of the two years.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 4:59 am 
declined to be a vampire

Looking into anything administrative?

I wanted to be a HS Athletic Director for a long time, but the teaching industry here in Indiana took a dive about 6 years ago when I was looking into it. So finished my communications degree and got into insurance.

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 5:08 am 
Aspires to be #1

No administrative for me because that means more pointless schooling. I really just want out of education at this point. It's one of the dumbest systems we have I think.

Last edited by j1h15233 on Wed May 30, 2012 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:33 am 

Amen, brother.

If I wasn't already halfway through my career, I'd get out, too. We are well and truly screwed as far as the educational future of this country is concerned.

The kids (and the parents) are getting dumber, more irresponsible and lazier each and every year. Class sizes go up while resources go down. And kids who don't speak English are supposed to pass a standardized test a lot of native speakers can't. Meanwhile all the pension money they forcibly take from my paycheck is going to disappear down a black hole as the entire system is unsustainable.

I'm going to take early retirement and never look back.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 1:21 pm 
Aspires to be #1

Shellhead wrote:
Amen, brother.

If I wasn't already halfway through my career, I'd get out, too. We are well and truly screwed as far as the educational future of this country is concerned.

The kids (and the parents) are getting dumber, more irresponsible and lazier each and every year. Class sizes go up while resources go down. And kids who don't speak English are supposed to pass a standardized test a lot of native speakers can't. Meanwhile all the pension money they forcibly take from my paycheck is going to disappear down a black hole as the entire system is unsustainable.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I feel bad leaving the few good kids that are still there, but I also didn't go to college to waste my life away in a school. I've really got my fingers crossed that I'll hear some good news this week from my interview last Tuesday.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 5:35 am 
declined to be a vampire

j1h15233 wrote:
Shellhead wrote:
Amen, brother.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I feel bad leaving the few good kids that are still there, but I also didn't go to college to waste my life away in a school. I've really got my fingers crossed that I'll hear some good news this week from my interview last Tuesday.

Well good luck (to both of you). Tomorrow is my last day at my current job, and I'm moving and going to be operating my own business (although same job type). So I feel your pain for the job search.

I remember looking into teaching, glad I didn't. But I have my own gripes about the sysem from the way our government runs it to a lot of the teachers themselves.

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:16 am 
5" Scale

Good luck to you J1H. Hope everything works out for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:11 pm 
Aspires to be #1

Update time - I didn't get either of the jobs I interviewed for and neither of them bothered to call and tell me. I had to call them. I wish they at least had the courtesy to call me and tell me instead of me waiting around thinking I'm going to hear something.

I don't really have much else in the works now either. My wife had an interview and should hear Monday but the odds are against her on getting that job. The whole thing has been pretty depressing and frustrating and just reinforces my belief that you can't get anywhere in this life without knowing the right people.