Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Dirty eBay Pool
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:45 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

So I was bidding on a Stealth Armor Iron Man from those TRU two packs. Came with Stark's head and extra hands. I get out bid by a dollar over my max bid. Cool... things happen... can't win them all. Not less than a minute after the auction ends... I get a second chance offer to get the item at my max bid. Something... just seems off about that.

I know this is possible with two accounts working together.

I'll just look for another similar figure from someone else.

Has this ever happened to any of you?

Post subject: Re: Dirty eBay Pool
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:44 pm 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

I've had that happen to me about 3 times but that's over the 5 years I've been using eBay. I think it could be possible that people will create a second account to maximize what they get for an item that their trying to sell since there's no way you can contact the person bidding against you they can do it without worry

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:43 am 
Aspires to be #1

Nonnahir wrote:
I've had that happen to me about 3 times but that's over the 5 years I've been using eBay. I think it could be possible that people will create a second account to maximize what they get for an item that their trying to sell since there's no way you can contact the person bidding against you they can do it without worry

That's not true. eBay monitors that stuff and will not allow some accounts to bid on an item if anything about the accounts is similar. I got a message once that I could not place a shill bid on an item because my account name was too close to the sellers name. Now, I tried to bid again later and it worked but they at least have some kind of system in place.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:45 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

Yeah, but that system is very easy to get around.

You really don't even need to have 2 accounts yourself. Just get a friend or relative to bid on your auctions on your behalf to drive up the price and you have an instant workaround.

I've gotten those offers from time to time as well. I generally just delete them without a 2nd glance and move on to a new auction.

If I get even a slight feeling of "shady", I'm out.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:34 am 
Tis' but a pup

Not all second chance offers are bad or scams, guys. I sell sometimes and if I have 2 of something and the first one sold well, I can offer a second chance to the next person down the line without having to relist. I figure you were willing to bid that much anyhow, so why not take advantage of being able to still get it. Especially if the seller has good feedback, who can say whether they guy has 4 or 5 of them?! I have also purchased form second chance offers too with no issues.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:44 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

I've gotten them once or twice before.

One time I took advantage of it, the other I didn't.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:09 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

I have offered second chance items to people within a minute or two of auctions over as well-- no shill bidding I -just had multiples of the same item.. I do it right after the auction just beacuse I figure I should strike while the iron is hot, and especially when something goes for an insane unexpected amount... I have also taken up people on second chance offers if it was a price I obviously was willing to pay-- although sometimes I will let it sit to the very end - as I look at that as a fallback as I see if I can find another cheaper on another auction (and at that point I know what my max should be)--

Completely unrelated,
but it always cracks me up when people say I lost the auction by a dollar-- the person could have honestly outbid you by 40.00 but since its automatic ebay to just bump it up to whats required..

I bid on a cel-- and put my final bid up to 750.00 dollars- and I won the auction at 201.00-- Im sure the other 3 people bidding on it thought they only lost by a dollar as well..

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:04 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

stewbacca wrote:
Completely unrelated,
but it always cracks me up when people say I lost the auction by a dollar-- the person could have honestly outbid you by 40.00 but since its automatic ebay to just bump it up to whats required....

Gee Stew it's a figure of speech. It's a bit simpler than saying I lost the auction by an unknown amount.

I've taken second chance offers before, I just... find it odd I get one no less than a minute after the auction ended. Anyway, I contacted eBay, the first winner of this auction has a habit of bidding on just this guy's stuff most of the time. So they're investigating it, whatever that means.

I once got a guy on feedback extortion who left me a negative comment, then demanded a full refund and he gets to keep the item only then would he change his feedback mark he left. Since he was dumb enough to include all that in a ebay correspondence I contacted ebay... had my mark removed and him suspended or some stuff, I dunno, whatever they do to people who get three strikes or more.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:13 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Van Statten wrote:
stewbacca wrote:
Completely unrelated,
but it always cracks me up when people say I lost the auction by a dollar-- the person could have honestly outbid you by 40.00 but since its automatic ebay to just bump it up to whats required....

Gee Stew it's a figure of speech. It's a bit simpler than saying I lost the auction by an unknown amount.

Didnt me I was aiming it at you directly-- Its just one of those things I see on a bunch of boards- usually when people complain about missing out on an awesome deal..