Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: It Really Angers Me...
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:37 am 
Disney is not his cup of tea

Feedback!

I'm going to rant nonsense so if that's not your cup of tea then move along please! 8)

I know it may sound silly... but in a world where some people are always looking for an angle and scheming with a style of Three Card Monte, trust is hard to build.

Here we have Feedback... and everyone leaves it for one another... good or bad...

Street Cred in this form is important online. Like here, the more feedback you have the more someone's going to open up to you and trust you or believe you are on the up and up.

but e-Bay...

oh my god, nothing gets me more than Feedback! And I'm not talking about negative feedback either. I can live with that! I'm talking no feedback at all! I'm quite aware that people don't live online and have more active lives than others. This is why you have 30-40 days to leave feedback.

I have sold some pricey Doctor Who items in the last month or so and have been cheated out of the feedback. Unless feedback is given those transactions don't list for others to see on your e-Bay profile! I would like to start being known for these bigger items and it just irks me that people are just lazy and inconsiderate.

I have even been jipped out of feedback as a Buyer as well.

The proper etiquette is a Buyer leaves feedback first since they can leave the most detailed feedback with a variety of of degrees. Then the seller gets to leave a positive remark or rebuttal a negative comment. Which you shouldn't worry about unless you have utterly tried to pull a fast one on someone.

I know... that in this world there are more important things to worry about... but this has in the last few months become a huge pet peeve of mine!

Post subject: Re: It Really Angers Me...
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:10 am 
Aspires to be #1

I feel like the seller should always leave feedback first. When I win an item I pay immediately and if the seller never leaves me feedback why should I reward them? In most cases where I have left feedback first I never get mine in return.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:12 am 

j1h15233 wrote:
I feel like the seller should always leave feedback first. When I win an item I pay immediately and if the seller never leaves me feedback why should I reward them? In most cases where I have left feedback first I never get mine in return.

If the seller leaves feedback and you post a negative feedback, he cannot rebuttal, hence the parlace that the buyer leaves feedback once the item is received. Unless this has changed.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:11 pm 
Aspires to be #1

Van Statten wrote:
j1h15233 wrote:

If the seller leaves feedback and you post a negative feedback, he cannot rebuttal, hence the parlace that the buyer leaves feedback once the item is received. Unless this has changed.

Well I understand that, but where does that leave me as the buyer? Let's say I pay immediately and do everything right but the seller takes forever shipping my item and it's damaged. Then I go and leave negative feedback. You think they're going to leave me positive feedback or any feedback at all? The first transaction in the deal is me buying the item so I think that should be the first feedback. If the seller doesn't want to leave me feedback then they will get none in return. It doesn't bother me one bit. I'm tired of leaving feedback for sellers and getting nothing in return.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:23 pm 

I don't refute your point, simply because it makes sense but I refuse to leave feedback first... unless you have bought from me before and thus we have a business rapport. I guess it is a give or take.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:09 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

I side with Joel in this instance.

I have bought from sellers who have literally held my feedback "hostage" (sending messages like, "i won't leave you good feedback/any feedback until I have a good feedback from you").

In that instance, why should I even bother leaving feedback at all.

I've done my part. I bid, paid the winning price (usually within an hour of the auctions close), sent an email thanking them for helping me acquire an item, confirming my shipping address, etc. and then I sit back and wait for them to complete their end of the bargain.

In my mind, that means, pack and ship my item in a timely fashion, return the correspondence (even if it is a form letter email, at least let me know I am dealing with a person and not a 'bot), and leave me my feedback.

If I get everything in a timely fashion (trust me, I won't blame you for the PO/FedEx/UPS' idioicy), I'll give you your due props. If not, I'll let you know why.

Also, I love sellers that tell me I HAVE to leave them 5 stars as part of the feedback even though they shipped my item in a used soda 12 pack box without any packing materials, with it being mis-labelled for shipping and getting lost forcing ME to do the leg work to find and correct the package shipping, and never once returning any emails I sent to try and find some reconciliation (true story).

Sorry, but eBay feedback, in general, is a joke nowadays.

If, as a seller, you want to hold back my feedback until you get yours, you aren't a seller I will continue to do business with.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:58 am 

And if an item is legitimately lost in the mail... and bad feedback is given that seller can't comment after leaving feedback first. Not everyone is as understanding as you, bnjmnrlyr and like I said... if I know the person from another transaction I don't mind... and I don't feel anyone should be directed what kind of feedback to leave...

Feedback isn't a joke... it releases holds on money in Paypal, it helps increase limits and lift transaction restrictions.

Just paying is not all your part entails, your feedback lets me know... A) you got it and B) you are happy with the purchase.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:09 am 
Aspires to be #1

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think feedback has anything to do with Paypal.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:13 am 

j1h15233 wrote:
Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think feedback has anything to do with Paypal.

The hell it doesn't. When you start selling, they hold your funds till either A) your tracking number shows the item arrived or B) they leave you feedback. They do this for the first $250.00, if feedback isn't left they can hold your money for up to 30 days.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:30 am 

interesting ...

I did not know that ....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:32 am 

bnjmnrlyr wrote:
interesting ...

I did not know that ....

Yeah it's there way of cutting out scammers. So Let's say you buy from me and you never get your stuff... you can file a claim and the money which is in a form of escrow in my PayPal goes right back to you.

It's not permanent but it can be a hassle when you're starting out selling.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:37 am 

maybe that's why I never noticed. I've been selling for a few years now and crossed that $250 threshold before all the changes to eBays feedback policies .....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:40 am 

bnjmnrlyr wrote:
maybe that's why I never noticed. I've been selling for a few years now and crossed that $250 threshold before all the changes to eBays feedback policies .....

Oh well you'd have been grandfathered in. I think this started maybe 3-4 years ago?

I remember when Sellers could leave negative or Neutral or Positive Feedback. I even remember when we could mail payments to people and God... I even remember Bid Pay...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:36 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd

My thoughts on this--
As a seller I always leave feedback when I ship the item out-- the seller has paid-- (even if it takes them a week and a paypal dispute)--that the only real thing they are required to do. so if they have paid they get positive.. (the 3 days to pay- although expected-- is not really an ebay policy-- they have 10 days after all the legal stuff goes through)..

Im high enough up I really dont even pay attention to the feedback- (unless its negative)-even those who leave positives sometimes can be backhanded compliments...- If the seller leaves a negative feedback-- all you can do is respond to it - (unless they say something personally deragatory then you can have it removed)-- but you in turn can respond to the feedback you left for that person positive or negative-- its a bunch of navigating through menus but it can be done..

AS far as the new paypal policys for new sellers--I had to threaten someone with reporting them to for extortion to ebay -since they held my item- because they didnt want to ship it until the money cleared into their account-- not my problem as a buyer.. That system is in place for a reason--

The biggest thing with ebay is the Star system-- feedback is one thing-but your star rating is what gives you discounts--so someone can leave you a positive and then ding you with one star all the way across--2 of those and you lose your power seller status, and to mean that is wrong- since you have no response or control of that--And my biggest issue with stars is the shipping price one-- I get low scores on that- however I post my shipping prices on all auctions - so its no surprise-- and if you dont print postage at home-- the cheapest you can ship something out with delivery confirmation is 3.00-- people just dont understand that...

My favorites are when people complain-- some guy took 2 weeks to pay (after I put in a claim with ebay)-- and then complained that I didnt ship out his package timely-tried to tell me that I took 2 weeks to ship- sent him a acopy of the paypal pay receipt-- I shipped it out the day after.. He of course left me a low star rating-- those people suck...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:45 pm 

If someone lets me pay late... or gives me some time more than normal to pay... I couldn't ever complain about a late shipment. In this world of bartering, because that's what it is, bartering just in an orderly fashion... it's give and take...