Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: The best 1.3 Million to spend-- and Skynet is next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:26 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

A group called the Suidobashi Heavy Industry created the Kuratas, a human-controlled robot. Standing more than 12 feet tall and weighing 9,920 pounds, the ...Kuratas features a humanoid upper body and four insect-like legs with wheels. It's designed to seat one person in its "chest," which pivots above a waist and has one fully-articulated arm on either side. ...
Controlling the robot is handheld through a custom control stick that's part steering wheel, part puppetry rig. It can be turned to pivot the bot's waist and steer it when moving -- the Kuratas has a top speed of six miles per hour -- while a pair of joysticks operates the arms.

Twisting and bending these sticks allows you to control the arms similar to how puppeteers move the elaborate animatronics used in movies. Users can also control the robot's movements with an app installed on an iPhone.
In addition to its literal pair of arms, the Kuratas is armed with a multi-rocket launcher and two Gattling cannons. The former fires plastic rockets filled with compressed water, while the latter can shoot a terrifying 6,000 plastic BBs per minute when you smile.

The robot is fitted with a Xbox Kinect sensor in order to pick up your gestures and facial expressions, including the one needed to unleash what its creators have dubbed the "smile shot."

http://suidobashijuko.jp/

Post subject: Re: The best 1.3 Million to spend-- and Skynet is next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:58 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

I had seen a report of this a day or so ago and thought for sure it was some sort of Con promotion event. Some kind of new ride to get you excited for a Mech game about to hit the market or something.

Now, I really want one of these to tool around the neighborhood and pick off those punk kids that have been tipping over everyone's garbage cans at night.

Couldn't have said it better myself.