Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Fall ebay changes
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:00 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

This is my favorite one

Highlights
•Starting October 1, sellers will be charged a fee to end an Auction-style listing early if it has received a bid.
•The fee will equal the amount of the final value fee had the listing ended naturally and sold for the highest bid received when the seller ended the listing.
•In rare situations, a seller may need to end a listing early, so the fee will be waived the first time a seller ends a listing early each calendar year.

Maybe this will stop some of that off the books buying of the rarer stuff..

Post subject: Re: Fall ebay changes
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:04 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Other "big" changes

New safeguards to keep a fair marketplace for sellers. Updates coming to eBay protection programs will benefit and protect you.

Buyers must contact you first through My Messages in My eBay before opening a Buyer Protection case starting in February to make sure you have the opportunity to resolve issues before eBay gets involved. Buyers will be required to wait three business days for you to respond and resolve the issue before they have the option of opening a case.

Open cases will no longer count. Also starting in February, having a case opened by a buyer will not be counted toward your performance rating—only those cases that are not found in your favor will be counted.

Reporting buyers who misuse the system is now faster and easier. Starting in October, a more accessible and enhanced reporting hub will make it easy for you to contact eBay directly to report buyers who violate eBay policies.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:27 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

I like these!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:43 pm 
Tis' but a pup

They still haven't brought back the ability for the sellers to leave negative feedback for these deadbeats who think it is fun to bid and then disappear. A year ago, they told me they were working on bringing that or something like it back. Still nothing.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:11 pm 
Cold-cast

That's a terrible rule. A seller should have the right to cancel an auction without any consequences, Ebay's fees are ridiculous not to mention double dipping with fees for using paypal. You should have a right to pull YOUR item at any time. I've been on the end of this, wanting something & watching it. All of a sudden the auction is ended. Of course a back door deal took place. I don't get annoyed like most people do about that

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:45 am 
5" Scale

OK, have to ask. Is there a alternative to eBay or do they have a corner on the market? I have some things that I need to put up, but not a fan of the eBay/Paypal double dipping on things. I honestly can't remember the last time I had something up for auction.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:10 pm 
Cold-cast

The_Donster wrote:
OK, have to ask. Is there a alternative to eBay or do they have a corner on the market? I have some things that I need to put up, but not a fan of the eBay/Paypal double dipping on things. I honestly can't remember the last time I had something up for auction.

Sad to say, but ebay has the market cornered for online auctions. Ther3e are some other sites, but they do not get traffic like ebay. If you want to get top dollar, you Unfortunately have to make a deal with the devil. I usually just list my items " Buy it Now " Have my price what I want for the item & to compensate for the fees ebay is going to take out.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:10 pm 
Cold-cast

The_Donster wrote:

Sad to say, but ebay has the market cornered for online auctions. Ther3e are some other sites, but they do not get traffic like ebay. If you want to get top dollar, you Unfortunately have to make a deal with the devil. I usually just list my items " Buy it Now " Have my price what I want for the item & to compensate for the fees ebay is going to take out.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:50 am 
declined to be a vampire

Clayface wrote:
The_Donster wrote:

They take fees out of the shipping now don't they? I kind of think that is BS.

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:21 am 
Disney is not his cup of tea

Yeah I noticed that and that's one thing I don't really get.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:58 am 
Cold-cast

Bunger43 wrote:

Van Statten wrote:

The reasoning behind that was some people in the past used to avoid fees by putting up a listing " Buy it Now " $5.00 " shipping " $100.00. So they were getting what they wanted for the item & ebay wasn't getting their cut. They found a way to " beat the system "So the few guys pulling this move ruined it for the honest sellers that were charging actual shipping prices. When this first happened, I was pissed. But now I charge a bit more for shipping now to compensate for the percentage that ebay is going to take out. It sucks that I have to do that, but I am not eating any of those shipping costs.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:58 am 
5" Scale

So what is that percentage? I know when I was selling I had to do something similar when it came to getting dinged by PP. So I'd basically double my take to compensate for the charges.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:28 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

The_Donster wrote:
So what is that percentage? I know when I was selling I had to do something similar when it came to getting dinged by PP. So I'd basically double my take to compensate for the charges.

It is pretty much just added in to the final sale total-- so for most sales (below 100.00)- its still the 8% so for a normal 1 Pound Priority with Delivery confirmation-- around .50 give or take-- which is why I add 1.25 Handling charge to all my auctions-( .75 for D/C and .50 for that cost)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:19 am 
declined to be a vampire

Clayface wrote:
Bunger43 wrote:

Van Statten wrote:

The reasoning behind that was some people in the past used to avoid fees by putting up a listing " Buy it Now " $5.00 " shipping " $100.00. So they were getting what they wanted for the item & ebay wasn't getting their cut. They found a way to " beat the system "So the few guys pulling this move ruined it for the honest sellers that were charging actual shipping prices. When this first happened, I was pissed. But now I charge a bit more for shipping now to compensate for the percentage that ebay is going to take out. It sucks that I have to do that, but I am not eating any of those shipping costs.

Ultimately if a buyer is willing to pay whatever any cost/shipping price is, it shouldn't matter.

So, we as sellers get nailed twice (and 3 times if we used paypal).

It is what it is. There is a reason I sell a lot of stuff on craigslist, and here, etc. I don't use ebay often.

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:38 am 
Cold-cast

Bunger43 wrote:
Ultimately if a buyer is willing to pay whatever any cost/shipping price is, it shouldn't matter.

So, we as sellers get nailed twice (and 3 times if we used paypal).

It is what it is. There is a reason I sell a lot of stuff on craigslist, and here, etc. I don't use ebay often.

I think you are missing what I am saying. It has nothing to do with a buyer just willing to pay whatever price for shipping. Sellers were doing that to beat the ebay system. At the time ebay only took fees from the final selling price & not the shipping costs. So some people figured they would if they just sold the item low & put what the actual wanted for the item as the shipping cost ebay would get nothing. " Buy it now " $1.00 shipping $200. See they wanted $200 for the item, but charged that as shipping instead. Ebay at the time only took fees out of the final selling value, so they got their 12 cents instead of the $22 that they actually should have have got. Now with them taking fees out of the total sale & the shipping, sellers can not do this to get around paying ebay the fees.