Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: What is the most you have ever spent on a Figure?...
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:27 am 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
Like the subject title says, what is the most you have ever paid for a figure? (not counting Higher end products like from Hot Toys, Square Enix, or DC Directs 1/6 line.) Just basic 4-10 inch action Figures from Hasbro, Diamond Select, Mattel, DC Direct, Toy Biz, Playmates, Bandai, etc, etc?
Like what figure was really rare, hard to find, or just so awesome that you were willing to fork over 3, 4, 5, or maybe even 10 times its original price/value?

D.

Post subject: Re: What is the most you have ever spent on a Figure?...
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:19 am 
Disney is not his cup of tea

Dear God....

I spent...
$40.00 on an unreleased clear Cyberman
$30.00 on a carded Black Manta to complete my BAF Grodd
$54.99 on Grundy's Left Arm (the one that came with Robin)
$60.00 on a carded Gentleman Ghost - I quickly learned why the other figures with Giganta parts were so cheap for such an expensive BAF, it's her head and lower torso that makes her valuable! :lol:

and most recently...
$40.00 on Ras Al Ghul
$34.00 on Officer Blake

Those are off the top of my head. I tend to drop a lot on the things I want when I see them and I don't feel like playing around at retail or hunting stuff down.

This September will be a year that I have been collecting DCUC figures so over all I spent a lot of mine this year!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:48 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

I just ordered the S.H. Monsterarts King Gidorah from my LCS. That's gonna cost me well over $100. Does that count? :mrgreen:

In terms of domestic toymakers, I think I spent $50 on the Iron Man 2 green Mandarin figure a couple years ago. Which I promptly opened. :D

I spent $35 on the Marvel Universe Dark Avenger version Ms. Marvel at a con in May. Opened her too.

I spent $45 on the Hasbro SDCC White Jinx on ebay. Haven't opened her . . . yet. :wink:

I spent $50 WAY back when for the Toybiz ML Golden Varient Original Iron Man armor, and $35 for the Toybiz ML Stealth armor variant of the original armor. Both have been opened for almost a decade now.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:57 am 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
Not that I am call in y'all crazy or anything ;).... But it is good to know I am not the only one who has spent a considerable chunk of money on a figure. :D The figure I bought was pretty much 3x the original price it once was. (bleghh supply and demand my foot, it's all just greed, greed, greed,) ;) *ahem... Sorry.
Anyways, I said this in my Want/Have thread in the Swap Meet, but I paid 58.98 for the Batman Arkham Asylum Batman, ughh (it took several hours of stressing, crying, moaning, and a little therapy to finally decide to take the plunge, ;) lol... Thing is though, I am probably going to end up spending even more for the rest of the figures from Arkham Asylum and Arkham City, lol.
Anyways, other than figure though... I think I bought... oh yeah, a JLU 3-pack for 41 bucks!!! And two of those figures had horrid paint applications. lol. ;)

D.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:11 am 

I don't have kids (and don't ever want any) and I'm currently not married, so I have a lot of disposible income. Until 2010, I'd blow over a grand going to SDCC and all it entails, and until this year, all my lines were going strong, will a new line (8 inch Classic T-Cats) holding some promise.

Now, DCUC is dead at retail, the six inch YJ line is over, T-Cats are gone, MU didn't get started until August, Avengers was a shadow of what it could have been (compared to Iron Man 2), and SW seems to have imploded with very few new vehicles and figures. So I'm probably going to spend less this year than in previous ones. About the only bright spot is the (relatively) new SH Monster line and the return of Marvel Legends.

But it's all relative. I like what Hot Toys can do, and the Sideshow GI Joe figures look awesome. But their prices are too much for me to justify to myself, especially for characters I already have in myriad forms already.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:38 am 
Aspires to be #1

My most expensive figures are all JLU customs but they're some of the best figures I own in any line or scale.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:43 am 

Now that's just crazy talk!

:wink:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:57 am 
Aspires to be #1

Shellhead wrote:
Now that's just crazy talk!

:wink:

Ha, you should see the ones I've gotten. I'll be taking some pics soon once I get in my house and get to unpack everything again. If you didn't know which figures were released in the line and which ones weren't, you would not be able to tell the difference.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:13 pm 

I have to admit, I think for a really good custom, that's money well spent.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:24 am 

If I'm going to pay for a custom figure, it's damn well gonna have a lot more than 5 POA. :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:58 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd

I just recently purchase a Joe Club Dial Tone- (it was in the 3 figures)- Im still a little ashamed I did it-- but it was haunting me- although its more like I traded some SW Vehicles I no longer wanted for it..Since I just got paid for them on ebay from it.

I will be dredding more when I take the plunge for the Oktober Guard set. :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:36 pm 
serves the Otter

Because of my last experience, I will never spend more than 20 bucks on any figure again. Wait... actually Mattel's JL Vandal Savage 3-pack will be the last time I spend over 20 bucks, but THEN I am done spending that much cash on a figure or figures... *le sigh

D.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:32 am 
Loose, Missing Package

I think the most I ever spent on a figure was for the 12" GI Joe Pilot that was offered at the Joe convention in '94. I think it was $275 when I bought it. The upside is that the next year at the unofficial Joe convention I sold it to a dealer for $750.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:49 am 
Wonderdog

If we're not counting Ashley Wood's ThreeA toys, on which I regularly drop anywhere from $50 to $100 plus shipping from Hong Kong, then I'd have to say it was the Super Powers Green Lantern figure I picked up MOC at the Baltimore Comic Con some years ago. At the time I spent $55 on it, which was completely outrageous, but I'm a Hal Jordan completist. (Had I successfully bid on a JLU Holiday Hal that amount would be about 20 times higher. And my wife probably would have left me.)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:56 am 

Tom2814 wrote:
(Had I successfully bid on a JLU Holiday Hal that amount would be about 20 times higher. And my wife probably would have left me.)

If... oh who am I kidding... When I do that, it just gives her justification to shop for herself without question...