Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: What is the most you have ever spent on a Figure?...
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:30 am 
Wonderdog

Van Statten wrote:
If... oh who am I kidding... When I do that, it just gives her justification to shop for herself without question...

Alas, I live in a house with a double standard. I am meant to nod and smile when a box arrives from overseas that contains hundreds of dollars worth of yarn for the knitting obsession...but the sparks fly whenever 3A sells a new Zombies Vs. Robots robot. ("A hundred bucks?!? For a spray can with arms???") It keeps us on our toes.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:47 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Van Statten wrote:
Tom2814 wrote:
(Had I successfully bid on a JLU Holiday Hal that amount would be about 20 times higher. And my wife probably would have left me.)

If... oh who am I kidding... When I do that, it just gives her justification to shop for herself without question...

Yeah, that was the de facto rule when I was married. I have no idea why she needed 30 pairs of shoes, but I knew better than to bring it up when I had 30 different Iron Man figures. :lol:

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:55 am 
Disney is not his cup of tea

Shellhead wrote:
Yeah, that was the de facto rule when I was married. I have no idea why she needed 30 pairs of shoes, but I knew better than to bring it up when I had 30 different Iron Man figures. :lol:

OH OH OH OH I have a rebuttal for that! I get that all the time... and my response is...
"See this Iron Man? He goes into space... See this one, he goes under water... And this Iron Man, he's in stealth mode...all those Doctors... 11 different faces... and this one, he has a space suit... Whne your purses and shoes have different functions then we'll talk!"

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:19 am 
proverbial old fart

The most I ever paid was $100 to Bill Burns for a custom JLU Blue Beetle figure that is proudly on display in the house! :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:53 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

I'd say $350 for a MOC 1982 Snake-Eyes and about the same for a 1985 one a few years ago was the highest but I usually make it up in loose lots.

The secret to collecting loose figures especially vintage. Buy a lot, keep what you need and sell the rest, rinse repeat until you have a complete collection. You'll usually end up getting your collection for free. I NEVER or rarely buy a single figure at a time if not at retail.

If we are talking recent though I paid $65 for an AFA 90U Solomon Grundy Slime Variant JLU SDCC MISB.

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:10 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

I don't remember how much I spent, but it was to purchase a loose, complete Super Powers Cyborg, way back in the early 90s.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:03 am 
Wonderdog

Van Statten wrote:
OH OH OH OH I have a rebuttal for that! I get that all the time... and my response is...
"See this Iron Man? He goes into space... See this one, he goes under water... And this Iron Man, he's in stealth mode...all those Doctors... 11 different faces... and this one, he has a space suit... Whne your purses and shoes have different functions then we'll talk!"

So...logic actually WORKS at your house??

Lucky, lucky man!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:14 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Man, I so don't miss being married!

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:03 pm 
Cold-cast

Years ago, I spent $120 on a ten inch Night Warriors Morrigan Aenslad figure from Medicom. I had Felicia that I got at a really good deal & I saw Morrigan at a comic show. I didn't want to pay $80 for her. I regretted it the whole ride home. I was on the search for her for awhile after & the ones on ebay were going for prices that I didn't want to pay. I ended up coming across a store in New York somehow that one. So I didn't hesitate to buy it. I still have her to this day in the box. Pretty cool figure with real hair. I was thinking of selling her a few months back. So I checked on ebay & one happen to be up there. Starting bid $20 & no one bid. Somethings just don't hold their value. :cry:

There was also a Guyver figure years ago that I saw on ebay that was possibly 18 inches tall, super articulated & made by Medicom. They wanted $300 for that. I really wanted it, but wasn't going to spend that kind of cash on a toy. Oddly I have never saw that figure again. It might have been a prototype or something. Kind of wish I would have bought it now

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:37 am 
Disney is not his cup of tea

The Guyver!
Love it!
Oh how I want a 6" DCUC/ Marvel Legends or higher articulated one for my collection!