Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: I need help and suggestions...
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:14 pm 
Resin

I really hope this isn't inappropriate for this board, but I feel I have to bring this up before a group of fellow collectors whose company I enjoy.

I lost one of my sources of income this morning. I am still writing action figure reviews for MasterCollector, but a second part-time job (offline and unrelated to anything I do for MC) that I have had for several years ended quite some time before I expected it would, as of this morning.

Right now, I need all the good thought and wishes possible, and on a more practical level, anything else you can come up with -- including suggestions for replacing this income. I am very badly scared right now. This could cost me my home and who knows what else.

Selling my collection, which I don't wish to do, would be a temporary measure at best. I need a new, regular source of income. I'm a skilled writer and photographer, and HIGHLY skilled typist. Bottom line -- I really, really, very seriously need a job.

Thank you.

Post subject: Re: I need help and suggestions...
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:44 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Unemployment checks? Are you in a state that covers that?

I know from the AZ housing crisis that it takes at least 6 months for a bank to foreclose on a house (if you're not renting), so you should be okay for awhile.

Holiday hiring is gearing up. I hear Amazon pays decently and that they tend to keep those who work hard. TRU hires during the holidays as well (and your toy knowledge could come in handy).

Beyond that . . . it's tough out there. :|

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:51 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

If you really need to... sell the collection or parts of it that can fetch some high end money, keep yourself liquid so you can pay bills and eat. Remember... all this stuff is out there... it's all over and I'm quite sure what you sell will find its way back to you again... Do what you have too. It can bide you time till you find a job replacement.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:44 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

Get in touch with a staffing agency. Look for one that specializes in Full Time employment, not a temp service. Ask for an aptitude test. It may set you off in a direction you hadn't considered or realized was available before. If you have enough prior experience and know what field you really want to get into, try a headhunter.

Contact your local newspaper or "City" style magazine. See what they offer for freelance writers/photographers. That is a good "in" for something more full time.

Greeting Card companies are another source of potential revenue. Most of what they do is often in house, but they always have an eye out for freelance photographers and writers as well.

As another fellow who is desperately looking for a stable level of employment, it is very rough out there. I feel what you are going through.

Keep your head up, though, and it won't get the better of you.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:37 am 
Resin

Shellhead wrote:
Unemployment checks? Are you in a state that covers that?

I know from the AZ housing crisis that it takes at least 6 months for a bank to foreclose on a house (if you're not renting), so you should be okay for awhile.

Holiday hiring is gearing up. I hear Amazon pays decently and that they tend to keep those who work hard. TRU hires during the holidays as well (and your toy knowledge could come in handy).

Beyond that . . . it's tough out there. :|

Unemployment checks would be tricky for me, I suspect, since technically, I DO do freelance work. It's just that at the moment, I lost one of these and I need to replace it. (I still write reviews for MasterCollector.Com)

AZ Housing isn't a factor since I rent. No rent, no home.

I'll have a look at Amazon. And I have checked in with a staffing agency. Where would I go about finding one of these "headhunters"? This is new territory for me.

Continued good thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated. The situation has not improved since I started this post.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:22 am 
Daniel Pickett

You CAN still freelance and get unemployment. You just wouldn't get as much. It would be based on the job you lost. You just have to report your freelance work.

That's still a good option for you while you are looking and exploring other things.

D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:15 am 
5" Scale

I wish I had a answer for you TrekkerGI. It definitely looks like you are getting some sound advice from members on the board. So I wish you luck and hope you won't have to sell anything off to supplement income until you do. I will say that I've heard good things when it comes to Costco. But I wouldn't explore retail until you've exhausted every other course of action.