Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Magic the Gathering
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:16 am 
Aspires to be #1

Does anyone here play this? I used to play it as a kid but pretty much forgot about it until recently when I found out some friends had started playing again. We're playing once or twice a week now, whenever we can find time and we've built up some pretty impressive decks.

Post subject: Re: Magic the Gathering
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:45 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

i played in High School. I own everything from Alpha all the way up to Portal which was when I dropped out. I must have 8 sets of 3rd Edition Revised which is the final set with real dual lands. I still have all my cards. I played online for a bit but even there the game got a bit out of hand for my taste.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:55 pm 
Aspires to be #1

Van Statten wrote:
i played in High School. I own everything from Alpha all the way up to Portal which was when I dropped out. I must have 8 sets of 3rd Edition Revised which is the final set with real dual lands. I still have all my cards. I played online for a bit but even there the game got a bit out of hand for my taste.

So you have a bunch of those dual lands cards?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:00 pm 

Ayup

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:24 pm 
Aspires to be #1

Van Statten wrote:
Ayup

Want to let me have them haha?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:36 am 
Benevolent Barkeep, Bouncer, Bulwark

My little bro, Johnny, started playing recently. I guess there is a club at his school. We've been playing Yu-Gi-Oh! pretty hard core for many years. Gotta say that Magic just doesn't have the kind of depth that keeps me interested like YGO. Its ok, I suppose, but I got bored about as quick as I get bored playing Pokemon. But maybe I haven't given Magic a fair chance.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:58 am 
Aspires to be #1

Cantina-Dan wrote:
My little bro, Johnny, started playing recently. I guess there is a club at his school. We've been playing Yu-Gi-Oh! pretty hard core for many years. Gotta say that Magic just doesn't have the kind of depth that keeps me interested like YGO. Its ok, I suppose, but I got bored about as quick as I get bored playing Pokemon. But maybe I haven't given Magic a fair chance.

I've never played Yu-Gi-Oh but I used to watch the show so I'm not sure how the card game works. Magic definitely has a difficulty curve. The more you play and the better your cards are, the more strategy and depth come into the game.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:09 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

When I was in college and Magic was in Beta (sorry, sold off all my cards long, long ago) we used to play nearly every night.

I was always the weakest of the bunch until I instilled a "common only" deck night. Never lost a game that way.

There can be quite a lot of strategy to the game at any level. The cards you have access to is a big part of it. But you also have to know how to build the most creative combinations and know how and when to access them at key moments in the game.

Every revision had it champions and detractors, like anything else I suppose, but I've never really been in to the game much since 3rd edition came out. I'll watch a match or two at the local gaming store, but I no longer have the interest to start building again.

Legend of the Five Rings on the other hand ..... :D

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:32 am 

bnjmnrlyr wrote:
When I was in college and Magic was in Beta

I was in 9th grade when Alpha and Beta came out! :p

As for the strategy, it use to be that way. Today though there are cards that exist which require no thought you simply play them and you win.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:44 am 
Aspires to be #1

Van Statten wrote:
bnjmnrlyr wrote:
When I was in college and Magic was in Beta

I was in 9th grade when Alpha and Beta came out! :p

As for the strategy, it use to be that way. Today though there are cards that exist which require no thought you simply play them and you win.

There are some very powerful cards, but they're available to everyone and I haven't found one yet that can't be countered in some way, shape or form.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:57 am 

Eh I beg to differ. I see some stuff that just breaks the game. And no, not everything have a counter balance to it.

By the time Garfield left (yes I know he still 'contributes' from time to time) the whole structure and balance was thrown out of whack and definitely by the Invasion block it was over. The card game had grown too large. multicolored decks are now simple to construct when before if you plated dual color it took skill and statistical construction of your deck. Magic was one of the games which a lot of statistics and fractions could be applied as with the 1/3 Mana to card ratio.

Once again all these things can be contributed to Hasbro's purchase of Wizard of the Coast. Like with D&D, I know a few freelancers who were furious with the 'mandatory' changes which were imposed upon them, I can only imagine what the Magic department had to go through.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:18 am 
Aspires to be #1

Van Statten wrote:
Eh I beg to differ. I see some stuff that just breaks the game. And no, not everything have a counter balance to it.

By the time Garfield left (yes I know he still 'contributes' from time to time) the whole structure and balance was thrown out of whack and definitely by the Invasion block it was over. The card game had grown too large. multicolored decks are now simple to construct when before if you plated dual color it took skill and statistical construction of your deck. Magic was one of the games which a lot of statistics and fractions could be applied as with the 1/3 Mana to card ratio.

Once again all these things can be contributed to Hasbro's purchase of Wizard of the Coast. Like with D&D, I know a few freelancers who were furious with the 'mandatory' changes which were imposed upon them, I can only imagine what the Magic department had to go through.

What have you seen that breaks the game? I haven't seen anything like that.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:09 pm 

Iona for starters. A card that completely shuts down a single color. If you want to make the game a dual color game then make it a dual color game. Don't force people into that corner. That for starters is enough. I don't have my cards in front of me nor do I have any of this memorized like I did in high school. However, rest assured there are cards which break the game. An early example is Chanel which once someone discovered the Chanel/ Fireball combination that was over. They either cost too little for what they do or they do asinine feats. I've played this game since 1993 solid straight to 2003 and then off and on for the next 9 years. So after almost twenty years I've seen some crap...

The same can be said for cards which were banned that make no sense... Sol Ring? Granted that's the most powerful card in the game. Or was at one point but certainty not ban material. Also, the Demonic Tutor, nothing was wrong with that. However those two cards held more power than a Shivan Dragon.

Of course there are changes that need to be made because of wording. The Unlimited Throne of Bone didn't tap... so you got 1 health for every black spell according to the card. The other versions had the tap symbol placed on them to solve this.

Same with the Unlimited/ Ice Age Icy Manipulator. That could turn off enchantments by tapping them. Now, it's been dumb down and only taps creatures or cards which can be tapped.

But this was back in the day when strategy counted and not any dim wit could sit down and play. Now anyone can play. I see them every time I log into Magic Online. It's a cesspool.

Strategy has certainly gone out the window. Deck construction is insane now. Of course all games evolve but just like D&D 4th Edition, not everything evolves for the better.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:06 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Van Statten wrote:
Of course all games evolve but just like D&D 4th Edition, not everything evolves for the better.

Amen, brother.

4th edition was the straw the broke the D&D camel's back. It also allowed Pathfinder to become the dominant RPG on the market in the space of a few years.

As far as Magic goes, I dodged that bullet. It came out the year I graduated college and I was much more interested in finding a job and earning money. If it had come out a couple years earlier, I'm sure I would have been hooked badly.

I played it once or twice with borrowed decks and just couldn't get into it. Good thing too, I spend enough money on my hobbies as it is. :lol:

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:59 pm 
Aspires to be #1

I definitely just bought 4 sol ring cards haha. I see what you're saying about some of those cards but at the same time, I think they can be combated with the right mix of cards. I loved it back in 94 and its been great to get back into it after all these years.