Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Is the way we store our toys ruining them?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:03 am 
Corporate Spin Monkey

Just saw this article over at PoeGhostal and It has made me panic........ http://www.poeghostal.com/2012/11/are-z ... -container

I have pretty much all of my collection in storage at the moment, all in little zip lock bags. Now my collection is pretty much JLU, DCUC and kenner BTAS figures. It's the Mattel stuff that I'm most worried about due to the cheap plastic. Does anyone know if these bags really are damaging figures stored in them, or is it all just scaremongering?

How do you guys store your figures, and how long have you left them in storage like that?

Post subject: Re: Is the way we store our toys ruining them?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:06 am 
Aspires to be #1

Mine were stored in knock off zip lock bags for over 2 years and they're all fine. The only one that got messed up was an elongated man but he got stuck to the back of Questions coat, it wasn't the bag.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:11 am 
Corporate Spin Monkey

j1h15233 wrote:
Mine were stored in knock off zip lock bags for over 2 years and they're all fine. The only one that got messed up was an elongated man but he got stuck to the back of Questions coat, it wasn't the bag.

Do you mind me asking where you stored your figures? Mine are in the loft (attic) back at my parents house as I don't have the display space for them all in my flat. And the loft gets pretty cold in the winter but quite warm in the summer so I wonder if the temperature may effect them while in storage?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:15 am 
declined to be a vampire

elvis8batman wrote:
j1h15233 wrote:

Do you mind me asking where you stored your figures? Mine are in the loft (attic) back at my parents house as I don't have the display space for them all in my flat. And the loft gets pretty cold in the winter but quite warm in the summer so I wonder if the temperature may effect them while in storage?

Heat will absolutely melt those figures. So I wouldn't keep them in an area that can get hot.

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:18 am 
Aspires to be #1

elvis8batman wrote:
j1h15233 wrote:

I kept mine in a closet which was adjacent to an attic access room. The closet was air conditioned, but it would get warmer in the summer and cooler in the winter because of its proximity to the attic. Nothing extreme of course but they were temperatures outside of the "ideal" setting to store them.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:25 am 
Disney is not his cup of tea

Mine are on display... but when I do have to store them...
Each figure gets a mylar bag with a backing board... then all that figure's accessories get a smaller bag that is placed in the bigger bag with the figure.
The bags with figures are then stored standing up in a comic box.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:26 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Yeah, you're kinda out of luck here is AZ. There aren't many places in a house that don't get hot, unless you want a massive AC bill each month (I keep it at 86 when I'm not at home in the summer).

Most of my toys are stored in an upstairs spare bedroom with the windows blocked by bookcases so no sunlight gets in.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:30 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

It probably wouldn't hurt to change out the bags once a year or so. One of the replies to the PG post is that the guy just stores them loose in a Sterlite container. I have to wonder if he's ever checked on them... Most times I've seen people just throw figures into a tub and store them away they end up with at least some paint transfer no matter the manufacturer. JLU figures are really bad about that, especially if the paint is against something soft like a cape or jacket piece.

To reference another reply to that piece, these things are toys. That's all they're really intended to be by the manufacturers, they aren't going to go to the added expense of using "archival quality plastic" (if such a thing exists) for a mass-market toy or a small collector line -- these things are expensive enough as it is...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:13 pm 
Grickle Grass Grower

I store my toys in archival quality bags. They are not that expensive and supposedly do not release fumes/acids that can be harmful to the toys. They can be found in places like the Container Store. I haven't had any issues with my figures stored this way compared to those I placed in bins and that got stuck to one another.