Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: New Ebay rules
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:49 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Final value fees will be streamlined to just one competitive flat rate of 10%—regardless of how you sell.

Wow that so nice of them-- instead of 8 and 12 now everything is 10-- great :roll: -- looks like they are doing everything in their power converting ebay from an auction site to just a bunch of small stores..

To keep the unique eBay Auction-style listings a great attraction for buyers, starting May 1, when you add Buy It Now to any Auction-style listing, it must be at least 30% over your listing’s start price
Nice jump- from 10 % to 30%-- :shock:

•To pay the lowest fees, offer free shipping or charge as little as possible for shipping. Free shipping also helps increase the chances of having the Fast ‘N Free logo on your listings, shown to increase sales as much as 11%
And how much of that 11% increase goes to pay the shipping you are giving for free-- how stupid do they think people are. :roll: .

Post subject: Re: New Ebay rules
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:28 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

stewbacca wrote:
To keep the unique eBay Auction-style listings a great attraction for buyers, starting May 1, when you add Buy It Now to any Auction-style listing, it must be at least 30% over your listing’s start price
Nice jump- from 10 % to 30%-- :shock:

This one really sucks. I do a lot of BIN's because I don't have the time to follow an auction that closely anymore.

I guess I won't be doing that as much anymore.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:04 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

Yes, it really does. That's because BINs take away the potential for the very bidding war most people try to avoid. Which means ebay sees potential profits slip away. And then ebay wonders why more and more people are leaving...

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:46 am 
Aspires to be #1

eBay screwed me yesterday. I sold a custom GL Batman on eBay last Thursday, shipped it out Friday. It wasn't perfect by any means but I took a good picture of it and explained it was a custom and all that. Well Monday night the buyer emails me and wants a refund because he's not happy with the quality of the figure. Tuesday around lunch he opens a case before giving me a chance to respond. My only hope of not having to refund his money was to let eBay decide what to do and they of course sided with the buyer.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:32 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

And that is why I don't sell on ebay.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:13 pm 
5" Scale

You know, eBay isn't what it used to be. They definitely are starting to model themselves to directly compete with Amazon I'm thinking. I sold my old XBox a year or so ago and kind of broke even when they were done double dipping on the eBay and Paypal fee's. As far as buying, it has been ages since I bought anything. This thread just reinforces that my decision was sound :?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:35 pm 
Santos L. Halper

Yeah, I'm finished selling anything on Ebay. After selling some items and not even breaking even after all the fees, I decided, no more selling. I'll still buy on Ebay if it's a rare item, but if I can get it on Amazon instead, I'm doing it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:06 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd

Well I only sell what is extra in my stuff- I never expect to break even on what I originally paid- its still good for extra cash-- and still honestly has the widest market.. (and every once in a while something surprises you and will go for insane money.)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:13 am 
Aspires to be #1

Just a warning to everyone, don't ever allow yesterdaysheroes269 to buy anything from you on eBay. This guy...

1. bought 2 of my IE figures I sold, didn't pay for them for days

2. filed a case on me for not shipping his items fast enough after I had already told him they were shipped

3. told eBay the items should have been there already because I lived in New Jersey and he lives in New York (I live in Texas)

4. was awarded a full refund from eBay and got to keep the figures

5. and to top it all off he left negative feedback.

I am so done with selling things on eBay. There are no protections for the seller and I've had two people abuse the system on me now. The other seller who reported a case on me because he didn't like my custom, did not ship the item back to me but provided a tracking number that went to who knows where so he got his money back.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:18 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

I have to say I haven't had that many bad experiences on Ebay but a lot of collectors are just flat out CRAZY.

I was selling off some loose JLU figures last week and I get this message.

"How are these New?"

I respond that they are listed as New because they were taken straight of the package, pics taken and put in a plastic baggie. I list them as new to indicate thy haven't been played with and are mint.

He responds back that "taken straight out of the package" is not New and I'm misrepresenting the figures.

So I respond asking if he knew by the pictures they were loose and "not New" then why ask me if they were New in the first place just to tell me I was wrong when I responded? I went on to say I would correct it in future auctions but people can clearly see from the picture that it is loose.

He goes off again I mean like "forgot to take my pill" stuff.

I told him I'm sorry you have nothing better to do on a Saturday then tell at Ebay sellers but I took the liberty of providing you with links of Ebay sellers that have listings for JLU figures loose as New. Good luck educating people.

I didn't get a response :)

I get that technically I should have listed them as Used but the way he went around telling me annoyed me. So I decided to have fun with his crazy deluded self.

Reminded me of the good ol days and some of the JLU posts.

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:38 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

ian5555 wrote:
I have to say I haven't had that many bad experiences on Ebay but a lot of collectors are just flat out CRAZY.

I was selling off some loose JLU figures last week and I get this message.

"How are these New?"

I respond that they are listed as New because they were taken straight of the package, pics taken and put in a plastic baggie. I list them as new to indicate thy haven't been played with and are mint.

He responds back that "taken straight out of the package" is not New and I'm misrepresenting the figures.

So I respond asking if he knew by the pictures they were loose and "not New" then why ask me if they were New in the first place just to tell me I was wrong when I responded? I went on to say I would correct it in future auctions but people can clearly see from the picture that it is loose.

He goes off again I mean like "forgot to take my pill" stuff.

I told him I'm sorry you have nothing better to do on a Saturday then tell at Ebay sellers but I took the liberty of providing you with links of Ebay sellers that have listings for JLU figures loose as New. Good luck educating people.

I didn't get a response :)

I get that technically I should have listed them as Used but the way he went around telling me annoyed me. So I decided to have fun with his crazy deluded self.

Reminded me of the good ol days and some of the JLU posts.

Put the guy on your BLOCKED BIDDERS list.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:09 pm 

I feel exactly the same way. I have become an EBAY BUYER... Selling stinks.

1) Fees - They have been stealing money from sellers for ever and continually jack up FVF. At present, they are up to 17% (Double dipping of EBAY & PAYPAL).

2) Protection Policy - It's geared toward the BUYER. There is NO seller protection. I feel sorry for everyone of you guys that got screwed by the RESOLUTION CENTER.

Example - I have had it happen with Transformers in very similar patterns... They say the items are "not as described" and file a case before contacting me for returns. Then EBAY takes the funds right out of your account and "suspends" them. The buyer sends back a BOX with tracking info. Ebay give the buyer the money back and closes the case. I get the BOX back and its full of junk - broken transformers. Not the stuff I sent. After numerous emails and calls (YES CALLS to EBAY), I get nothing. This guy got my toys and I paid to ship it to him, as EBAY refund the full value + shipping.

3) Fees for SHIPPING - They want a piece of everything. If you charge 10 to ship. They get 9% as part of Fees for Ebay.

I can go on, but it makes me sick.... Selling on EBAY sucks.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:26 am 
3 3/4"

Remember back before paypal existed how the buyer would have to either spend money to get a money order or use a personal check as their payment. They paid the fees as far as money. Now, the seller has to eat all the fees thanks to paypal. I think the fees should be tacked on to the buyer's payment for sending money, not the seller for receiving money. The seller is doing all the work (taking the pics, doing the listing, boxing up the item, and going to the post office to ship it out). The buyer is clicking on something with their mouse. Not very fair in my opinion. Sellers get hit with eBay final value fees, eBay shipping fees, and paypal fees. They're triple dipping now.

Add in the fact that people can basically get to keep the items and get a refund if they complain and I'm starting to get super annoyed with eBay. It's happened multiple times to me now and I end up spending hours on the phone with paypal and eBay trying to fight it.

I might be done after seeing all these new rules, especially with the Buy-It-Now prices jumping to 30% of your starting bid price. UGH!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:49 pm 

I remember those days. I never has a problem with the Money order or Check deal. Yes, it took longer and you had to wait for everything to clear, but it worked. GREEDY eBay didn't get a cut of the action, so they had to stop that.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:36 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

I do feel that way about it sometimes-but I only sell to have mad money- which I in turn put right back into ebay- and then I see stuff like this-

Your lifetime transactions

View status in: Global
Sales to date: $55,094.02
Transactions: 2961
First eBay Sale: 01/29/2002

Yea-- I made 50K-- and then :shock: :shock: I spent that much right back on ebay....

-