Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Boston Marathon Bombings
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:51 pm 
serves the Otter

Checking in. Me and my family are fine and didn't go to the marathon today. Are there any other people from MA. who would like to let us know they are okay?

Here is a good piece about terrorism. I'll post the entire thing in case you don't want to give Daily Kos any internet hits for ideological reasons:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/04/1 ... -terrorism

Quote:
The thing about terrorism

by Laurence Lewis

The thing about terrorism is that its intent is to cause terror. Don't let it.

Grieve. Have sympathy. Be angry. Hope for competent professional police work. Demand fair justice for anyone who is caught and accused. Demand that lessons be learned, but that this not be used as an excuse for overreach. Grieve.

But don't give in to terror. If Boston area officials tell you to stay inside until they are pretty sure it is safe, and that there aren't more targets, listen to them. But don't give in to terror. Know that the TV media, in particular, will play this to increase their viewership, and that they will do so for weeks or months. But don't give in to terror.

Live your life. Cherish it. Cherish the lives of those around you. Don't give in to terror.

Grieve. Hug someone. Don't give in to terror.

When truth is only a matter of opinion, advantage goes to the liars.

Post subject: Re: Boston Marathon Bombings
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:34 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

I'm not convinced yet that it isn't domestic.

Tax Day. Soon to be Hitler's Birthday as well as near to the anniversaries of the Oklahoma City Bombing and Ruby Ridge.

I almost hope it is domestic, because I don't want to believe the Islamofascists can hit us so easily after 9/11.

Hopeful thoughts to the survivors and their families.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:32 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

It's a horrible thing. Domestic or International. They weren't targeting the ELITE runners. It was targeted around the regular pack runners as they passed by their families. Horrible whoever made this happen.

I spent the last the last year working in Boston. For being a New Yorker, I made an amazingly large amount of friends. Everyone I know was safe, but just saddened by what has happened to their city.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:36 am 
serves the Otter

Shellhead wrote:
I'm not convinced yet that it isn't domestic.

Tax Day. Soon to be Hitler's Birthday as well as near to the anniversaries of the Oklahoma City Bombing and Ruby Ridge.

I almost hope it is domestic, because I don't want to believe the Islamofascists can hit us so easily after 9/11.

Hopeful thoughts to the survivors and their families.
Don't forget that Boston was the location of the original Tea Party.

I think it's domestic too. I think that for three other reasons besides the dates (which you already pointed out).

1. This wasn't a suicide bombing. Al Qaeda usually takes out one of it's own to make a statement.

2. No-one has claimed responsibility. Foreign terrorists are usually eager to crow about their victories.

3. The mortality rate was relatively low which indicates that whoever did this was incompetent and not a professional (it was REALLY foolish to attack a place so close to quaility hospitals and swarming with cops and ambulance workers. They pretty much guaranteed most victims would survive).

That said, even though I believe it WAS domestic it would be foolish to automatically believe it was a rightwinger. My gut tells me it was a lone nut whose politics cannot be easily pinned down. I could be wrong, but I think a right-winger would have chosen a different city and place to attack.

When truth is only a matter of opinion, advantage goes to the liars.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:39 am 

Could be a Unabomber type.

At this point, I will actually be surprised if it is foreign.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:39 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Fone Bone wrote:
3. The mortality rate was relatively low which indicates that whoever did this was incompetent and not a professional .

Whats bad is that was the first thing that ran through my mind-- how can you pull of a terror attack at one of the biggest open events in the country and only kill 3 people. (yes I know there were alot of injuries)- but 2 bombs and that little collateral damage immediately seemed to me just a mishandled amateur attempt to sow real fear..

I heard the lead in about 2 bombs and the Boston Marathon and expected to hear about hundreds of deaths-- not less than when I hear about when a family is killed by a drunk driver on the way home..

ESPN is playing this up even worse than the news stations..

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:27 pm 
my apartment smells of rich mahogany

Shellhead wrote:

wow.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:04 am 

Wow, what?

Anyway, looks like we got one of them and they appear to be Checnian(sp?) Islamic Extremists.

Here's hoping the other guy opts for the forty virgins, so we don't have to waste time on a trial.

I am so sick of people being allowed into this country that don't assimilate and decide to bite the hand that feeds them.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:36 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Im questioning how was the other guy was even able to get away-(and the fact that I read he actually drove through the roadblock and got away (not sure if thats true or not)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:27 am 

typical american wrote:
I almost hope it is domestic, because I don't want to believe the Islamofascists can hit us so easily after 9/11...

wow, what?

first off, Chechen, not Checnian. arent you a teacher? also, nobody said anything about islamic fundamentalists, which, really the only thing that people mean when they say "islamic" is "brown." all islamic people arent violent savages any more than all catholics are child rapists, but you know what all of those people have in common; they all believe that there's a magic ghost in the sky who made the whole universe and is sentient enough to "want" you to do something for it. whether they're blowing things up kamakaze style or putting their fingers in choirboys or just living their lives, they all believe the same silly ass idea, so to imply that an entire group of idiot sheep is inferior to our entire group of idiot sheep is frankly gauche in my opinion, and the notion that americans have this attitude towards the rest of the world makes me utterly embarassed to be thought of as an american. which sucks, because this country has the potential to be great. the queen's former subjects left england to be free of rule by the church and parliament, stole land from one group of people who they murdered and swindled and then forced another group of people to build entire cities for free and treated them like animals and now they're building fences along the border to the country of brown non-english-speaking people (who were inhabiting this continent WAAAAY before the white man) because "they're" coming to "our" country and "stealing" "our" jobs. i can't tell you how many times i ALMOST had a job mowing someone's yard for $2 an hour, just to have it snatched away by some ill-eagle mex-ee-can. and the idea that "they" "hit" "us" so easily after "9/11" is utterly ridiculous, too. like there's a group of bad guys out there with turbans on their heads wrenching their darkly pigmented hands together waiting for a moment to strike after what we don't even refer to as the attack on the world trade center. we call it "nine-ulevin" like we're ordering a goddam value meal from a fast food joint. also, us? really, what percentage of 'mericans jog marathons and hang out in libraries? you wanna hit "us", start with mcdonald's, the mall and trailer parks. and then make sure that every over-sensationalizing "news" network makes sure they wait until the right moment to officially declare it a tragedy. it's only an incident until it's upgraded to a tragedy, depending entirely on the body count and ethnic/religious background of the perpetrators. which is why there's no reference in american history to the "catcholic child molesting tragedy."

when stuff like this happens, it's terrible. but stuff like this happens. i don't get why people can't go to sleep at night until they know the reason why or have a face to put on the whole ordeal. it's a luxury that's only afforded to this country and one we take for granted like clean water and reality shows about tow trucks. ask someone from Darfur "who that guy was that did that tragic thing." it's like the guy who shot up the theater where they were showing the dark knight rises opening night. batman comics made him do that? video games? no, it's just a random ass nutjob who went nanners and killed some people. it sucks, but the sooner we realize that we're not immune to psychos and random violence, maybe the sooner we'll realize that just because we're americans, on a global playing feild, doesn't mean we're good guys and doesnt mean everything the four or five rich white men who own our country have the best intentions for anyone other than their own pockets and just because we say we're in a democracy doesn't mean we're immune to being ruled by an autocracy.

that's what.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:50 am 
Aspires to be #1

I don't care who did it, but they shouldn't be sent to prison. Our prison system is a joke. They should tie them up right in front of a bomb like they used and set the thing off in their face.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:12 am 

shishalzafrazz wrote:
also, nobody said anything about islamic fundamentalists, which, really the only thing that people mean when they say "islamic" is "brown." all islamic people arent violent savages any more than all catholics are child rapists, but you know what all of those people have in common; they all believe that there's a magic ghost in the sky who made the whole universe and is sentient enough to "want" you to do something for it.

That's a heck of a rant (with many mistakes, I might add). Plus if you bothered to check, you'd see I put (sp) which means I'm not sure if it was spelled right.

Secondly, check the news. They're both Muslims.

Thirdly, I might surprise you, but I agree about the religion thing. As I get older, I find it more and more to be a detriment to society.

Lastly, if you don't consider us to be the good guys, I fear we can't find any middle ground. I don't do moral relativism.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:42 am 

well, I'd be interested to know what my many mistakes were so that the next time i launch into a rant in response to an incredibly xenophobic series of comments, i'll have a more solid argument. and so what they're muslim? most people are. most people. dead and alive are muslim. i know america's tryin it's damnedest every day to fill up our trailer parks and projects with as many brand new good ol christian babies as it can, but you're just not gonna catch up to a religion with those kind of numbers. but it doesnt mean that all those people are osama bin laden anymore than you posting "we should stop allowing people into our country who don't want to be a soft slice of plain white bread" means that all americans think that way. and no, dude. we're not "the good guys." there's no such thing as good guys. people who win wars write history books. if hitler had won world war 2, the nazi army would have been "the good guys." this isnt an episode of gi joe. america isnt hulk hogan and islam isnt the iron sheik. i don't expect to change the way you think about anything, and i wouldnt presume to tell you that you don't have a right to your opinion, but your opinion, at least about america and it's supposed relationship to foreigners, particularly ones who seem to own lots of oil and have dark skin and believe in a slightly different magic ghost than americans do, makes me look f-ing terrible to everyone outside our rayudwhytenblew microcosm. think about that, the next time you wanna say "love it or leave it" to somebody. as an american, because of that persona we're so proud to give off as a nation, i'm not *welcome* in any other country, so looks like we're just going to have to tough it out here together. what was it rorschach said? "i'm not stuck in here with you, you're stuck in here with me."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:55 pm 

Most of them were grammar-based. It's hard to take you seriously if you can't be bothered to use punctuation properly. You know, since you felt the need to call out my spelling. :roll:

Secondly, if you can't debate without ad hominum attacks, we've got nothing to say to each other.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:53 pm 

Maybe I don't know what ad hominem means, but I'm not personally attacking you. I barely even know you. I'm defending myself from a very common sentiment that I don't want representing me as an American. It makes me angry that the things you are saying in those posts are the attitude we as a cowboy ass country convey to the rest of the world. I don't want to be seen as an intolerant, elitist, spoiled, xenophobic jingle (this word is supposed to be J E S U S, dont know why it's on the do not type list) freak when I'm in another country when people find out I'm American. Exactly like we do to Muslim people who come to this country. I don't want to be ashamed of being an American when I'm in another country. People don't like us. Not because everyone else is stupid and uncivilized or muslim or "jealous of our freedom" - which, what a joke THAT is! - but because we're assholes. We take over peoples' countries to sap their resources and tell our own people it's to spread freedom (freedom that they hate, apparently). We've been doing that since we got here. And am I benefitting from it? Are you benefitting from it? Nope. We instill an unfounded fear of god in our citizens and then use that to stop the advances of science and logic, whether it's using anti-muslim sentiment to invade another country, keeping oil as our main source of fuel dependancy or the "miracle of life" to keep stem cell research from ridding us of the costs of medicine. America UNAPOLOGETICALLY stole this land, killed the natives and used slave labor to erect our cities and create our economies and you think now that we have federal agencies specifically designed to keep information from the public that we're just gonna voluntarily be open and honest with our citizens and philanthropic to the rest of the world. We don't even like each other! But this isnt about America being the devil or whatever. My point was that i think i's f'ed up that we have the reputation for being exactly the way that, based on your comments, obviously some of us are. But only some of us, and I'm not one of them.

And my resoning behind asking you if you were a teacher actually had nothing to do with the spelling thing. And the spelling thing isnt really a spelling thing. It's like saying Japanese people are called Japapinos or something. Chechnian isnt a word. Chechen is the word and I wasnt trying to be snarky about it. You put sp after it, so I assumed you werent sure what to call them. Thats why I said it.