Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Dick Tracy, anyone?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:44 am 
5th Horseman

I only had a few from the movie when i was a kid. Tracy, Sam, Lips Manlis, Mumbles, Shoulders and Rodent.

I found an ebay auction with ALL of them in very good condition and complete. I'm one of those last second bidders that pisses everyone off, well looks like I finally got mine karma-wise. I kept refreshing the page at about 30 seconds, all was fine and I was about to place my bid at the next load, just as my network lagged. By the time I got the page to load, the auction had ended at $5.50 for the ENTIRE LINE!!

I was heartbroken. I looked around on eBay for more DT figures, but was disappointed with what I came up with. They had a few carded, but I couldn't even come close to finding every figure, and most loose figures weren't in very good condition. Couldn't find them all loose either. Maybe half. I have a feeling it'll take me some time and a heck of a lot more money to put this collection together now.

Anybody out there have the DT figures, or pics, or remember playing with them as a kid?

-John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:47 pm 
5" Scale

Heck, yeah! I have the whole line, all 14 figures. (The Blank was a MAJOR pain to track down.) I also have the 8-inch floppy-figures that came out (by Applause, I think), and the Mezco minimate-type things that came out a few years ago.

I really love the movie; I've seen it many, many times...I love the comic strip, but the movies visuals & score really captivated me when I was a kid. I keep hoping for some kind of Deluxe DVD release.

Just curious, are there any figures you're looking for...I think I have a few carded figures in a closet somewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:00 pm 
5th Horseman

I actually don't have any of them. That's why I was so excited about the auction, because I was going to get them all at once!!

I do stand corrected however: the auction did not include The Blank. I was pretty sure that they made a figure, but I couldn't remember for sure!

What figures do you have? :wink:

You can send me a PM if'n ya like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:52 am 
Fugitive Dust

I like the movie a good deal but never got into the figures, probably because I wasn't a kid at the time.

My friend bought close to every single Blank figure produced, he called up Sears Canada (who got the majority) and said "I want em all". He had somewhere near 6,000 as i recall, he sold them in toyshop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:16 am 
5" Scale

HalJordanist wrote:
I actually don't have any of them. That's why I was so excited about the auction, because I was going to get them all at once!!

I do stand corrected however: the auction did not include The Blank. I was pretty sure that they made a figure, but I couldn't remember for sure!

What figures do you have? :wink:

You can send me a PM if'n ya like.

The Blank was an absolute aggravation. IIRC, they held back the initial release of the figure because it gave away the movie's ending, but when initial sales were underwhelming they didn't bother with a major release....I think only one Sears Canada ever actually saw the figure....don't know if anyone else ever did.

Also, the Tramp was pulled from shelves after an activist group complained that the figure was insensitive to the homeless. The other dozen figures, though, I think are pretty equally out there.

Let me check what I have...I will send you a PM this weekend!

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 7:11 pm 
My heart is of low-durometer PVC

I just got into this line I collected as a kid
so far I have tracy, mumbles, pruneface and the tramp
I never find anything except these four on ebay lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:42 pm 
Shifts It Into Overdrive

I watched the movie with my dad when it came out because he was a huge Dick Tracy fan as a child. I got the figure afterwards and gave it to him to place on his desk.

A short time later, I ended up getting all of the figures on clearance except for The Blank. They were around $2 bucks each and I remember getting multiples of a few. The carded ones ended up in a garage sale and the ones I opened were later given away. The character selection was pretty good for a movie line, but I wasn't digging the usual Playmates wide stance that made TMNT such a hit. It didn't work with these guys somehow and made them look real dwarfish. I also had the 12'' inch Dick Tracy figure which looked pretty cool. Should have sent it to my dad now that I thought about it. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:21 pm 
Knows his stuff

I used to have six of these, back when the movie came out. I had Dick Tracy, Sam Catchem, Big Boy Caprice, Itchy, Mumbles, and The Brow. While I enjoyed the movie at the time, I immediately regretted buying the figures. I hated their caricaturish overly-large heads and short, stubby arms and legs. For years, I considered them one of my worst purchases and an embarrassment to my collection, and finally sold them on eBay maybe eight or nine years ago, for around $15 shipped. I was grateful to get rid of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:55 am 
PVC

Ran into a HUGE box of these MOC at a garage sale a few years back. Passed on them, though now thinking about maybe putting a set together....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:38 pm 
Wind him up, let him go

Yeah, I was a bit too old for toys when the movie came out. I did get to see it at midnight the day before it came out at an advance screening which was cool, and the line looks pretty neat. Recently, I found 4 big little books, all from the 30's at a yard sale, got em for $1 APIECE!! One of them is Dick Tracy. Unfortunately, that one is missing it's back cover, but it's still cool as hell.

AD&D wants-Mettaflame, Hawkler, Ogre King SS, Tiamat and Book of Spells accessory

Madballs Headpopper wants-Oculous Orb and Dustbrain

M.U.S.C.L.E figures

Have to trade=$.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:36 pm 
Shifts It Into Overdrive

I'm hoping that recent SDCC Dick Tracy exclusive might lead to a more comic-accurate figure line. Playmate's offerings suffered from TMNT-style "dwarfism" which didn't exactly make the Turtle line look bad but doesn't work quite well with "human" characters. I think that's why the 1990 Tracy figures tanked so fast.

Even so, the line was awesome for giving us a whole bunch of characters in just one year. We had Dick, Sam, and a bunch of villains ranging from the movie's headliners to background characters. That's not a bad deal. :)

Post subject: Re: Dick Tracy, anyone?
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 1:30 pm 
active in the community

If anybody knows where I can find a blank, or even pictures of the toy without it's masked, please email me! I've been looking for years to buy one! Thanks
Rockerrob69@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 4:00 pm 
Kool Moe Dee

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 500wt_1182

not my auction btw!

vc9k

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 4:08 pm 
active in the community

Mmmm... You sure? I saw that auction the other night and the pic res is so low / small you can't see what's in it. I juat emailed the person though. Thank you! Hopefully this is it!

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 11:26 pm 
active in the community

so yeah, that guy says that the blank wasnt in the lot. i dont believe him. anyways, if somebody has one, im still interested. thanks!