All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Dick Tracy, anyone?
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:54 am 
active in the community

please keep this topic alive! :P

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:31 pm 
Shifts It Into Overdrive

Okay, so did anything come out of that Dick Tracy figure available at Comic Con? You know, the one with the black & white variant? I haven't heard more about it and was hoping we'd see a new Tracy line for the 20th anniversary of the Beatty film.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:40 pm 
active in the community

People are doing pre-sales on eBay for the comic con Blank. I don't know if I'll collect them because they are more for the comic. I wish they would do a 20th anniversary of the movie, I'd buy those! I doubt they will though. I wish they do a re-release of the playmates like they did with TMNT last years. I really want that damn Blank figure! I don't care if it's re-release edition! LoL So if someome has one to sell, I'm your man to buy!

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 4:17 pm 
Ferret Farmer

I like the two figures that Shocker has done so far. I'm sorta waiting to see if he spins off into his own line, cause that'd be awesome. Either way I may be picking up Tracy and Blank just in case they become difficult later.

I'm fine without an anniversary line from the movie. But I'd love for a nice 2-disc special edition DVD, that'd be sweet and long overdue.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 4:34 pm 
active in the community

I agree! The toys do look good and was thinking of getting them if the price is right. I also agree on the long awaited 2 disc I've heard (read) about.... weird

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 9:46 pm 
serves the Otter

Toyman wrote:
I'm fine without an anniversary line from the movie. But I'd love for a nice 2-disc special edition DVD, that'd be sweet and long overdue.

One was originally rumored to be in the works all the way back in 2001, and again in 2004 in preparation for the 15th anniversary, but for some reason it kept getting delayed and nothing more was ever heard about it after that. As I recall, Beatty was going to be involved and he was supposedly going to do a commentary and even a director's cut of the film for the special edition DVD release. There's some nice character-developing cut scenes from that movie which were in the novelization and screenplay, most of which were reportedly filmed. I think the proposed director's cut was going to be around 20 minutes longer, and would explain why the theatrical film's short 105 minute plot seems rushed in some parts. I've been dying to see a longer cut of this film for YEARS!

Here's a quote from IMDB's trivia page confirming that info:
Quote:
A 135 minute version of the film exists as confirmed by Warren Beatty in an interview in 2002. He was forced to cut the film to the current 105 minute version at the insistence of then chairman of The Walt Disney Studios Jeffrey Katzenberg, prior to the release.

So yeah, a special edition of this movie is LONG overdue. I have never bothered to get the barebones DVD release in hopes of it getting the deluxe treatment someday, and with each passing year I become more frustrated and baffled that an SE hasn't been released yet. The movie has gained quite the cult status over the last 2 decades and would surely sell well if given a deluxe blu-ray release with remastered picture, extended cut, and other extra features. The studio (and presumably Warren Beatty) are really missing a great opportunity to give us a 20th anniversary special edition and I suspect this year will pass by without a new release since it's almost June and we haven't heard a single new rumor about such a release. :(

EDIT: I just bumped this thread over on Home Theater Forum to see if any new info can come of it. A few studio insiders lurk there, so maybe someone in-the-know will speak up.... http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/t ... dick-tracy

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 9:28 pm 
Ferret Farmer

Wow, did not know that. Thanks for the info and the link shabby.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:44 pm 
serves the Otter

Doesn't look like any news came of the inquiries. As expected, the long rumored special edition is as much of a dead project now as it was 9 years ago. Oh well... :(

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:48 pm 
active in the community

Yeah, I see that :(
I'm still looking for Blank figure though. Somebody hit me up please!

Rockerrob69@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:53 pm 
Ferret Farmer

shabbyblue wrote:
As expected, the long rumored special edition is as much of a dead project now as it was 9 years ago.
That's a real shame. I'll keep my fingers crossed though.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:24 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Does anyone know a current value for the blank figure? Are they really that high dollar now? I understand there were several thousand made but in action figure production I figure that's a drop in the bucket.... I've seen the production numbers 2-6,000 out there. anyone know a more accurate number for sure? Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:35 pm 
active in the community

I have no idea, I just want one out of the package. I was lucky to buy a MOC one a few months ago for $450 on eBay, and then a week later a guy was selling his for $2000. I emailed him recently and he sold his for $1400! I'm thinking of selling mine because I recently lost my job... but damn... that's my prized baby! LoL

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:30 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Yeah, I don't blame you about not wanting to sell the blank.. with the anniversary coming up maybe there will be more interest in the movie.
I was going thru my stash and found 2 of them on cards, so I guess it makes up for all the robin hood figures I bought...lol..

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:04 am 
active in the community

Dang you have 2! Lucky! What shape are they in? I really want one out of the package. It would be a sin to open one of yours! LoL

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:56 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Well, of course the figures are mint unopened, but the cards have some small creases and curves. they have some dirt on them from being stored incorrectly, but I am carefully clening the dirt (ie. dusty) off. I don't know anything about the grading criteria used, but I would guess cards 6 or 7, bubbles 7 or 8. I might send them to be graded, but have not decided about that. not mint by any means, but too good to be opened as well.

Have you noticed on all of them I have seen the sticker with the name on the bottom under the figure? it looks like they were made with a "blank" (lol) space in under the figure and then labeled later to me. Every one I have seen online also has this tape sticker.