Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:43 am 
Kool Moe Dee

I have to admit that I've never been a big fan of the Superpowers card backs, I think they are kind of ugly.

The figures are amazing though and all of this stuff does look great together.

vc9k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:17 am 
active in the community

marillion wrote:
bnjmnrlyr wrote:
Is there anything "Super Powers" out there (in the "other merchandise" category) that you aren't trying to add to the collection or is it your goal to have the be all and end all SP collection?

If there's something out there with the Super Powers logo on it that I don't have, I'll eventually want to add it.

Obviously, MOC figures (especially foreign) are the focus.

However, a keen eye will notice a few major omissions from my collection right off the bat :

#1 - no "regular" US-carded figures.

#2 - no vehicles

#3 - no Canadian bi-lingual figures

#4 - no loose set

IMHO, these can all be had "at the end" when I've exhausted all my leads on pre-production and rare stuff. My goal is to have about $1k in reserve "just in case" something rare comes up, and then anything in the collecting budget beyond that can be used for the above 'common' items.

There are also things that come up on eBay all the time non-toy wise, like the Superman & Batman model kits, which I'm saving for last.

I do want to have everything, tho. Hell, just adding that small list above would nearly double the size of my collection...and if you include card back variations? SHEESH...that's huge.

By this time next year it could be an absolute monster. :D

Peace,

Chip

How about the Super Powers comics DC published? (I actually like the covers Kirby did) Since you're so versed in Super Amigos lore, have you ever heard anything about the original art used in the mini-comics being sold anywhere?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:00 pm 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

Yup, the comics a would probably be the last items I add. :)

As far as the original mini-comic art, I know Dan owns the Aquaman cover, and Mike Mensinger owns the Joker & Luthor covers. I believe I've seen someone else with some interior Luthor pages...can't remember who has them.

There's not much out there that I know of, but trust me...I have contacts in the comic art world that are looking on my behalf.

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:18 pm 
active in the community

Cool! I've always wondered what had become of the original art used. I'm a huge fan of Jose Luis Garcia Lopez and am glad that his art was used for the Super Powers packaging. To this day, the Super Powers packaging remains among my favorite, largely because of his art. Next question: How goes the recreations of Super Powers packaging? I seem to recall you mentioning that you were going to have some SP style cardbacks made for Mattel's DCUC line. (I look forward to another cool blog when this is done).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:55 pm 
Shifts It Into Overdrive

I see that Reddy is now presiding at his throne. :)

Man, you seem to have the market covered on most things Super Power-ish! I don't think I could find the patience to go looking beyond the domestic stuff.

That is one sweet collection, Chip. May the Toy Gods continue to bless it! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:38 am 
ABS

marillion wrote:
While I'd planned on giving a shout out with a highlight (and still will), I have to thank Xavier for helping me get my two General Mills Juguetes Super Poderes from Spain. They are currently 2 of only four known (Mike Mensinger has another Luthor and Aquaman) and damn tough to find. I located two on TodoColeccion and he helped me acquire them. They are in ass shape, but I love them. :)

Shhh, Chip! You are going to reveal my secret identity! :wink:

Check http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14514 (New entries! - July 10, 2012)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:01 am 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

Needed to shake down my new rechargeable batteries, so I took some random closeups this morning.

First, for Dan, bigger shots of the two hodgepodge shelves :

I just love this shelf!

The Justice League of America

Loose Gullivers (Kang has infiltrated the Future Warriors!)

Did someone say Gullivers? The display in the middle was for buttons/pinbacks.

Book & record sets

Mexican bootlegs (Curse you, CantinaDan!)

The Nasta Superman Watch

Cyclotron proof card & first-shot

...and finally, a close up of the soap! :D

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:29 am 
Dog Squeezer

Great Super Powers collection Chip, but you already knew that :wink:

I have been obsessed with this line again, (I actually read all 30+ pages in the other SP thread yesterday) I have a question you might be able to answer.

Why are certain Captain Ray figures chest logos red circle with yellow lightning and others are yellow circles with red lightning? Which is the correct, more common way?

Last edited by Jester on Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:50 am 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

Jesterboy wrote:
Why are certain Captain Ray figures chest logos red circle with yellow lightning and others are yellow circles with red lightning? Which is the correct, more common way?

No one knows. Nick offered this plausible explanation :

Quote:
I believe most super powers collectors (and dealers) only became aware of Captain Ray around 1995 (I was one collector) and only then starting looking for Captain Ray. So, I think most of the ones we've seen are later production versions with the bar code ones possibly the last bunch. I noticed how clean and more neatly painted the recent ebay version you bought was, and that the card looked identical to the ones I had (except for the bar code). So, what this all boils down to is I'm almost positive you have
an authentic, early variation, and probably a lot rarer than the already rare "common" version known.

Mine is the only one I've seen that's been different.

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:34 pm 
Wind him up, let him go

Hey Chip, just wanted to give you a heads up on this MOC Gulliver Iron Man with Motorcycle on Ebay right now (in case you hadn't already seen it)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brazilian-Marvel-Se ... 2556b92a7f

and a Thor with Motorcycle:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brazilian-Marvel-Se ... 2556b92c8d

I also saw a Super Powers "secret messages" set MOC (though the card wasn't close to mint) with a pad and a shield, I think a pencil, etc.

AD&D wants-Mettaflame, Hawkler, Ogre King SS, Tiamat and Book of Spells accessory

Madballs Headpopper wants-Oculous Orb and Dustbrain

M.U.S.C.L.E figures

Have to trade=$.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:19 am 
Shifts It Into Overdrive

Man, those are cool in a crazy sort of way. At least they remembered to remove Thor's cape since it would only get him into all kinds of dangerous hazards. :lol:

The bike designs are pretty faithful to the characters' looks. Like I said, cool and crazy at the same time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:44 pm 
Dog Squeezer

Bump

This thread has way too many cool pics in it to be on page 2.