Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Super Powers, my collection begins! UPDATED pics 2-08-10
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:38 pm 
Hangin' with the big boys

My first package arrived this afternoon :lol: . Still waiting on the bigger one! Here's the first round of pics. I do realize that the condition of some of these cards and bubbles is questionable. I bought a "lot" from someone, so i took it all and plan to sort through it, keep the best stuff for myself and sell the others. I am looking to ya'll for guidance and recommendations on what to do as i don't want to get rid of something accidently that would be hard to replace. My current goal is to complete both a MOC U.S. carded and loose set and a Canada small card set. I will also pick up vehicles and other Super Powers paraphernalia as it presents itself. Anyway, on to the good stuff 8) .

Kenner Canada Flash- As you can see, the card (12-back) is in pretty good shape but the bubble is very yellow and brittle with actual chunks missing on top and the right side :( .

Kenner Canada Green Arrow- the 23-back card is unpunched and in pretty decent shape with some light creases. It is a little wavy. The bubble isn't as bad as the one on the Flash, but it is yellowing and has also been crushed in at the top. Is yellowing of the bubble a problem with the Canadian releases?

KENNER U.S. Joker- 23-back card showing quite a bit of wear with deeper creases to the extent that the top corners are actually bent. There is some waving of the card and the obvious tear in the top layer of cardboard above the Joker artwork. Bubble is clear but dented in a little at the top.

Kenner U.S. Martian Manhunter- unpunched 23-back card showing wear and light creasing. Bubble clear with slightly crushed in top corners. There's also some remains of something sticky being applied to the card at some point, right below the cartoon text bubble. Would display okay, but i would want a better example eventually.

Canada Shell Gas Small Card Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin- now these guys i'm excited about. They are in darn near case fresh condition. Cards are showing a small amount of waving with creasing almost non-existent. Batman's bubble is slightly dented in at the top left corner. The biggest problem with the bubbles is that Robin's has come loose from the card on three sides. The card is still in perfect shape where the bubble pulled away, almost as if there was never any glue. Would you recommend re-glueing it? What's the best kind of glue to use for this?

That's it for now. More to come :D . I appreciate any input ya'll can give me. Also, to help get my wife off my back :wink: .... could you give me an idea of what the value of the above examples might be. Just looking for some generalized prices. Thanks.

PART II

Good news, my second box arrived yesterday! Here's the rest of what i picked up.

Kalibak Boulder Bomber- this vehicle is in really good shape and came witht the stickers still on the sheet (forget to include in pic). The only thing i can tell is missing is one of the red spears for the other side. I think i have a line on one already though.

Lex-Soar 7- In really good shape with stickers still on the sheet, instructions and all the accessories it appears.

Supermobile- In good shape with stickers applied. I think it's all here, let me know if you see anything missing. What are those little red "thingies" underneath? Looks like in other pictures i've seen they are used to pick up bad guys. Is there an accessory that goes to them?

Batmobile- this one i was a little bummed about. Three of the four windshields are cracked. One had a chunk missing, but i have reglued it already. It is definitley in played with condition. I may look at replacing it at a later date. Meanwhile, it did make a pretty decent picture :) .

Firestorm w/comic

Kalibak w/comic

Lex Luthor w/comic

Martian Manhunter, Samurai, Orion

Aquaman, Joker, Green Arrow

Batman, Flash, Green Lantern

Darkseid, Parademon

Dr. Fate x2

Kenner's Swamp Thing- Snare Arm Swamp Thing, Antone Arcane

Toy Biz DC Comics Super Heroes- Superman (in really good condition), Wonder Woman, Mr. Freeze, Penguin w/umbrella, Lex Luthor w/briefcase, Riddler, Robin

And lastly, the not so good- Mantis, Desaad, lets call the next two Black Lantern customs :shock: , Green Lantern, Brainiac

Overall i'm pleased with everything. An exciting start to my collection! As you can see i'm missing some accessories so if anyone can help me locate any of those i'd appreciate it.

Last edited by Fire Marshal Bill on Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:48 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:26 am 
Cold-cast

Wow, I think you have a nice start to your collection!

I am an opener, but I gotta say, SP has the best packaging of all time. It looks so sharp, those bright colors.

Post subject: Re: Super Powers, my collection begins!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:42 am 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

Congrats on starting your collection!

Fire Marshal Bill wrote:
Would you recommend re-glueing it? What's the best kind of glue to use for this?

When I have bubbles lifting to a point where the figure could fall out or it doesn't display correctly, I re-glue them. I use Elmer's Wood Glue, believe it or not. Dries clear without a trace, and seals nicely.

Quote:
Also, to help get my wife off my back :wink: .... could you give me an idea of what the value of the above examples might be. Just looking for some generalized prices. Thanks.

Based on what I've seen on eBay and what I've sold & bought stuff for in the past year, here goes :

Canadian Flash - $25
Canadian GA - $35
Joker - $25
Manhunter - $35
small WW - $20
small Robin - $25
small Batman - $50

That's a great start...can't wait to see pics of what else you have coming!

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:38 am 
shirtless hugger

You're off to a really nice start, man. Those small carded figures look great! Looking forward to seeing more as your collection grows :-)

Looking for: MOC trilingual Super Powers Flash, and any pre-production Super Powers Flash items (proof cards, prototypes, etc.). Basically anything that's Super Powers and Flash related, I am interested in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:38 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

Awesome! Those canadian slims look really good! Are you going to keep the flash and GA?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:57 pm 

Thanks for the comments guys. I am really excited to have a start on these. I love the vintage stuff.

Chip, thanks for the recommendation on the glue. I have a bottle of Elmer's Wood Glue out in the garage i think. Also, i especially appreciate the estimates..... you don't know how happy that makes me :D . I was figuring $20-$30 each so i guess i wasn't too far off, glad to see the small card Batman is worth a little more.

More pics of the rest of the loot next week, hopefully. It really bugs me that the other box didn't arrive with this one. I hope its okay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:02 pm 

batdown wrote:
Awesome! Those canadian slims look really good! Are you going to keep the flash and GA?

Not sure at this point. The Flash and GA may go towards my "loose" collection since the bubbles are yellow and beat up. As may the Joker since his card is so thrashed. I'll probably keep the MM carded and display him as is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:05 pm 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

I'd say that's a great plan, Bill...and you're welcome.

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:56 pm 

My second box arrived so bump for new pics!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:07 pm 

Today i welcomed Clark Kent into my collection :D .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:37 pm 
Wind him up, let him go

Nice! Dig the vehicles like kalibaks bomber. Did you get all these as a lot off ebay? If so, was it a buy it now or did you win the auction?

AD&D wants-Mettaflame, Hawkler, Ogre King SS, Tiamat and Book of Spells accessory

Madballs Headpopper wants-Oculous Orb and Dustbrain

M.U.S.C.L.E figures

Have to trade=$.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:51 pm 

Ya, i really like the Kalibak Boulder Bomber too. I got the lot from an individual, not through eBay. The Clark Kent i did get on eBay, won the auction for him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:34 am 
Wind him up, let him go

Fire Marshal Bill wrote:
Ya, i really like the Kalibak Boulder Bomber too. I got the lot from an individual, not through eBay. The Clark Kent i did get on eBay, won the auction for him.
Cool. Nice score. I'm really liking the thin Canadian cards as well. Look like they're in pretty good shape. Are you going to open the more beat up cards or keep them MOC? (or open them and get em graded uncirculated?)

AD&D wants-Mettaflame, Hawkler, Ogre King SS, Tiamat and Book of Spells accessory

M.U.S.C.L.E figures

Have to trade=$.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:37 am 
Wind him up, let him go

else3573 wrote:
Fire Marshal Bill wrote:
Cool. Nice score. I also like the color scheme/combo of Lex in his ship, looks great, really catches the eye. The thin Canadian cards are great as well. Look like they're in pretty good shape. Are you going to open the more beat up cards or keep them MOC? (or open them and get em graded uncirculated?)

M.U.S.C.L.E figures

Have to trade=$.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:30 pm 
Cold-cast

So... it's getting hard pacing yourself, isn't it?

You're going fast and furious at this!
Looks great.

Thanks for the wonderful photos.