Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Lunchboxes, Soakies, Pez, Viewmaster, etc.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:04 pm 
Wind him up, let him go

Anyone collect any of these types of items usually found in vintage toy store? I have a decent little pez collection (nothing great, the most expensive is a footless rabbit with wide ears, around $30-40, and a giant snoopy pez in the box that sings Take me Out the the Ball Game or something like that). I have all the Star Wars ones I believe, and the Simpsons, and have quite a few from the early 90's til now still MIP, but I'm not huge into collecting them. I NEVER buy them from a dealer, except 2 sta wars ones I didn't have from Billy Galaxy at a buck apiece..

Anyway, I also have one old lunchbox, a plastic Batman one from the early 80's, in great shape, the thermos is still with it, and it's still marked too. It's a blue box with Batman fighting the Joker on the front and it's from 1982. I plan to get more lunchboxes, definitely a Q Bert one at the very least, since that's my dude.

I'm not really into viewmaster, I have a few and some cards, but I am just surprised at the boom in collect-ability of these.

As for Soaky's, that's what I was more interested in. I LOVE these things. Totally wish I had the money to collect them. One's I really like are the Universal Monsters set from the 70's, with Creature, Wolfman, Mummy and Frankensteins monster. I'd kill for that set. Anyone in here collect any of these?

AD&D wants-Mettaflame, Hawkler, Ogre King SS, Tiamat and Book of Spells accessory

Madballs Headpopper wants-Oculous Orb and Dustbrain

M.U.S.C.L.E figures

Have to trade=$.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:24 pm 
Hangin' with the big boys

I just missed a Super Powers lunchbox w/thermos a couple days ago for $25 in new condition with the Aladdin hangtag still on it :( . I have my old Disney School Bus lunchbox from when i was a kid, no thermos though. I'd love to have my Planet of the Apes lunchbox back.... i have no idea where it ended up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:51 pm 
Cold-cast

Pics!
We Want Pics!
Pics!
We Want Pics!

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:10 am 
shirtless hugger

I've got a small collection of lunch boxes. I have the '70s Superfriends lunchbox, the Super Powers lunchbox from the '80s, a Secret Wars lunchbox, and a Superman: The Movie lunchbox from 1978. They all have their thermoses and are in really nice condition for their ages. I use the Superman lunchbox most days to bring my lunch to work. That's right. I'm the coolest guy in the office. I'll take some pictures of these when I get a chance.

Looking for: MOC trilingual Super Powers Flash, and any pre-production Super Powers Flash items (proof cards, prototypes, etc.). Basically anything that's Super Powers and Flash related, I am interested in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:06 pm 
Wind him up, let him go

Yeah, I'll post a pic of the lunchbox and the pez collection later on.

AD&D wants-Mettaflame, Hawkler, Ogre King SS, Tiamat and Book of Spells accessory

M.U.S.C.L.E figures

Have to trade=$.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:26 pm 
Daniel Pickett

I have a few lunchboxes. Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back, Marvel Super Heroes, Super Powers, SuperFriends. These were all ones that I had as a kid.

And I have something REALLY cool relating to that last one that I need to blog about soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:34 pm 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

In the center of this shot is my Band Aid lunchbox. Yes, I still have it. It's like 12" tall. :D

Peace,

Chip

Post subject: Re: Lunchboxes, Soakies, Pez, Viewmaster, etc.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:26 am 
Fugitive Dust

I have quite a few vintage lunchboxes and thermoses. There are some that are just too pricey for me these days and I'd really have to luck out or trade for them. I have SOME Soakies. My favorites are the Universal monster ones, Batman & Superman and The Beatles (Paul & Ringo) ones, but I have some cartoon character ones, too.

I don't really have them displayed in one section where I can take a picture of them easily. There is a gallery of some of my 'Closet o' Treasures' stuff on the forum, but the boxes are mainly in my studio itself on a shelf going around near the ceiling. Some Soakies, lunchboxes & thermoses are in my closet, though.

I don't think my buddy took photos of the other wall in the closet...which is much less deep and I put more of my books there.

Wish I had the 1954 Superman lunchbox!! And a nicer Yellow Submarine box. Took me years and years to finally get a Beatles thermos w/o paying what I thought was too much.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20318185@N ... 112338609/

I'm 55 and have been collecting for quite a while. Didn't get a computer till about 10 years ago...then fell under the spell of eBay!!! I try to restrain myself more now and rarely go to garage sales these days.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:21 pm 
Wind him up, let him go

Nice collection Comicinker!! One question, what are the little deforemd superheros in this pic, one shelf down from the top?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20318185@N ... 112338609/

M.U.S.C.L.E figures

Have to trade=$.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:26 pm 
Wind him up, let him go

Really loving the Hanna Barberra soakies (at least I think they are soakies) of Peter Potamus, Atom Ant, Touche Turtle, etc.

M.U.S.C.L.E figures

Have to trade=$.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:16 pm 
Fugitive Dust

The HB ones were made by Purex, but people still refer to them as Soakies. They reissued them later on with slightly different color schemes at times. The Super-Deformed figures were called just that when I got them. They were from Japan and not licensed. I think I got them in the 90's.

The Atom Ant Soaky one was one of the first things I won from eBay (was bidding at the college library here--no home PC at that time). Learned to check Feedback since he had no pictures and exaggerated the condition. Got a partial refund and touched it up myself. What a weasel.

The monster Soakies were from the 60's, as were most of the true cool 'Baby Boomer' ones.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:15 pm 
Wind him up, let him go

Yeah, I love the 4 Universal Monsters soakies. You might have overlooked it, but I actually brought them up in my first post. I'd love to get my hands on that set, especially the Creature from the Black Lagoon, easily my favorite Universal Monster..

M.U.S.C.L.E figures

Have to trade=$.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:40 am 
Fugitive Dust

I mentioned the monster Soakies because you thought they were from the 70's. Some of the Hanna-Barbera Purex containers were re-issued in the 70's, but I think most of the classic 'Soakies' are from the 60's. Apparently they began in the 50's, but I see no great history on them online and don't claim to be an expert.

http://johnkstuff.blogspot.com/2006/12/ ... ys-of.html

Wish I had the Magilla Gorilla one...it's a tough one to find.

I also wish I was better at organizing and cleaning up, as I don't want to be a true hoarder. I like so many things that I have to weed some stuff out every now and then. And the more eBay changes their rules and fees (especially since they bought PayPal a while back) the less seller-friendly eBay is.

You used to could contact other eBay members or see who bid. I understand why they want to control EVERYTHING, but in some cases they are throwing the baby out with the bathwater, as they say. They are taking away the fun of it and making it gloomy and antiseptic.

I put some stuff on ePier (it's free), but it may sit there for ages. I sell a few things, but no wonder it is free. Yahoo Auctions used to be fairly good till they tried to be more like eBay and shot themselves in the foot.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:10 pm 
Wind him up, let him go

Oh, I got ya, yeah, they are from the 60's. You're right.

here's a pic for those that don't know what we're referring to:

http://thegalleryofmonstertoys.com/60sw ... kyset.html

M.U.S.C.L.E figures

Have to trade=$.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:36 pm 
Hangin' with the big boys

Very cool stuff all. I have a vinyl Banana Splits box from the early 70s and a Pogo soaky floating around somewheres