Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Holy Rip-off, Toyman!!!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:47 pm 
Wind him up, let him go

WOW. I was looking through random toys on the Virtual Toy Chest and came across this line. Is it me, or is the similarity to Toy Story a bit TOO much. I mean, the 3 eyed alien? The Buzz Lightyear like main guy in the same colors? The black and red/purple "Black Hole" dude (forget his dopplegangers name in the Toy Story movie). I can't believe Disney/Pixar didn't sue over this:

http://www.virtualtoychest.com/p/planet ... eroes.html

AD&D wants-Mettaflame, Hawkler, Ogre King SS, Tiamat and Book of Spells accessory

Madballs Headpopper wants-Oculous Orb and Dustbrain

M.U.S.C.L.E figures

Have to trade=$.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:40 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

You really haven't ever seen this line before?

It was insanely popular with the post-toddler, not quite adolescent crowd for a few years there and only this past year seemed to have died off.

There were different characters for each of the planets (with Earth being a skateboarding kid and Venus as the only Female), star, moon, Sun, Black Hole, Meteor, Asteroid, and so on. The main base playset is fantastic in terms of play value and almost every character had at least 1 variant/update before the line finished.

I don't see anything in it that is a true violation of anything Pixar did. None of their toys outside of Woody and Buzz are even original to them, they are all classic perennial toy offerings.

Besides, as they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:50 pm 
Wind him up, let him go

bnjmnrlyr wrote:
You really haven't ever seen this line before?

It was insanely popular with the post-toddler, not quite adolescent crowd for a few years there and only this past year seemed to have died off.

There were different characters for each of the planets (with Earth being a skateboarding kid and Venus as the only Female), star, moon, Sun, Black Hole, Meteor, Asteroid, and so on. The main base playset is fantastic in terms of play value and almost every character had at least 1 variant/update before the line finished.

I don't see anything in it that is a true violation of anything Pixar did. None of their toys outside of Woody and Buzz are even original to them, they are all classic perennial toy offerings.

Besides, as they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
Nah, I don't have kids, so I never really checked it out...but the 3 eyed alien and Buzz Lightyear rip are awfully similar.

AD&D wants-Mettaflame, Hawkler, Ogre King SS, Tiamat and Book of Spells accessory

Madballs Headpopper wants-Oculous Orb and Dustbrain

M.U.S.C.L.E figures

Have to trade=$.