Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: STAR TREK
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:20 am 
Far Too Concerned with his Post Count

Since I don't see on I am starting a Star Trek thread.

I have 11/12 of the Mego TMP figures, all 4 ERTL figures and numerous customs (GI Joes were good for something after all), the Galoog series with customs, including my scratch made Armus (only 3 in the WORLD), and I would guess about 75% of the Playmates line.

Which brings me to my rant.

When Toybiz released the first series of Marvel, including Captain America, The Captain/USAgent was just becoming big in the books. I wrote a letter asking for this figure, knowing that repaints were the easiest way for companies to do figures. I got a nasty letter back about how "they" had no creative input in the line. 8 months later the figure appeared on 7C by itself, as in not part of a series release. I was insulted. They basically stole my idea and spit in my face. I could have done without the spit. So when Playmates came out with their Star Trek line, I took advantage of the post cards inside the blisters to send them my phone number so they could call me and ask about the Holodeck Playset design I came up with. I intended to record the conversation to prove it was my idea. They never called, and all of you Trek collectors are now forever denied the opportunity my idea represented.

The Holodeck Playset consisted of a flat plastic base with a grid of holes. Accessories had pegs that kept them from sliding around. It had three picture frame plastic walls and one wall with the door and arch in it. This had light and sound features. The picture frames held 2-sided cardboard inserts with picture backdrops representing the holodeck program. The box set came with 2 basic programs and would retail for about $50, same as the Bridge. Here is the cool part. Program upgrade packs would come in ziplock type bags including the backdrops and any accessories for that program and would retail for about $10, with special packs including exclusive figures, such as the black Data for the Fist Full of Datas program, and retailing for about $15. The bags would keep the accessories from getting lost. This basic playset could also be used for DS9 and Voyager without making a new box set, just add program packs. Now the appeal of this idea to Playmates, IMHO, was in the exclusive figures that WOULD NEVER BE RELEASED ON CARDS. This would force collectors to buy the packs. and since they have some of the packs, they might as well have all of the packs, and since they have ALL of the packs, they might as well get the box set too. Yeah I know, I have heard collectors on here gripe about these kind of tactics, but hey, I was trying to pitch to a toy maker. I had to put it in terms that would appeal to them. But alas, that line is no more and the opportunity to capitalize upon my genius is lost to Playmates forevermore.

CCC.

Museum Super Collector.

Post subject: Re: STAR TREK
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:18 am 

DCIH figures priced at $6.97 have been selling for $1.99 at Fallas Paredes stores. They also have the new Star Trek figures. I have not looked at the price as I have my set, but I would expect the same apx. markdown. These stores are in Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Arizona, Southern California, and the southern tip of Nevada.

CCC.

Museum Super Collector.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:12 am 

I was in Big Lots yesterday and checked prices. The small figures are $3 and the bridge playset is $10. I saw an online store selling the bridge for $40 this morning.

CCC.

Museum Super Collector.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:03 am 

I have posted pics of some of my Star Trek custom figures in my Photobucket, used LordMudd1.

FYI, I made the Armus from scratch and made a mold. I cast 2 before losing it, so there are only 3 in the world. They are in scale to the Galoob figures. I sent one to Jeannie Savin, who was writing the Star Trek column for White's Guide to Collecting Figures at that time. I was featured 5 times in her column (Yeah, I guess you could say I got my 15 minutes.) Someday when money isn't so tight and I can find the mold maker I want to use I hope to remake the mold and make more.

CCC.

Museum Super Collector.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:29 pm 

A little something to help make this thread more interesting.
IMG]http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/yy328/LordMudd1/s5.jpg[/IMG]
IMG]http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/yy328/LordMudd1/s17.jpg[/IMG]
IMG]http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/yy328/LordMudd1/s14.jpg[/IMG]
IMG]http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/yy328/LordMudd1/s9.jpg[/IMG]
IMG]http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/yy328/LordMudd1/s7.jpg[/IMG]
IMG]http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/yy328/LordMudd1/s6.jpg[/IMG]

Museum Super Collector.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:31 pm 

The 2 that didn't load the first time.

Museum Super Collector.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:33 am 

Some more of my Trek collection.

CCC.

Museum Super Collector.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:58 am 
Benevolent Barkeep, Bouncer, Bulwark

Great stuff!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:10 pm 

Thanks.

Museum Super Collector.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:21 am 
proverbial old fart

Cool Collection!

I have all the Micro Machine starships. Among my favorite toys!

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 11:47 pm 
Collector Inspector

Hey Mudd. I have some custom Trek figures from the Galoob Next Gen series. If I can find them after I move I'll send them to ya if you want them. One is of Riker in an admiral uniform an Andorian in the black DS9, and Worf in yellow. I don't collect them so i really don't need them.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 2:41 am 

If you wish to I have no objection. Thank you.

CCC.

Museum Super Collector.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:51 pm 

Here is something for all of you Kirk fanatics to choke on...

SIR PATRICK STEWART!

CCC.

Museum Super Collector.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:42 pm 
serves the Otter

Is there a comprehensive archive out there for Playmate's Star Trek line? I'm curious to see how vast that line spanned and can't seem to find a archive that covers all the waves.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:38 am 

shabbyblue wrote:
Is there a comprehensive archive out there for Playmate's Star Trek line? I'm curious to see how vast that line spanned and can't seem to find a archive that covers all the waves.

I would imagine there is somewhere. I have about 90% of the 5" collection, missed the last wave.

CCC.

Museum Super Collector.