Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: The Vintage Toy Venting Thread!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:24 pm 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

Get it all out. What gnaws at you, irks you, pisses you off or slightly miffs ya about the vintage hobby...eBay auctions...the toys themselves...etc.

I don't know why I started this thread...but seeing all the Super Powers Canadian carded figures at ridiculously high prices I wanted to post about how pathetic that was. ESPECIALLY the AFA ones.

So, I started a thread just in case others had some ire to spew forth. LOL.

All in good fun, of course! :D

Peace,

Chip

Post subject: Re: The Vintage Toy Venting Thread!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:48 pm 
Shifts It Into Overdrive

I miss the various ads placed by eccentric dealers in defunct magazines like Toy Shop. Every once in a while, you could find fair prices or actual bargains on some rarer 80's items. One guy I purchased some carded Joes from sent me a list with his entire collection at $10 to $20 per piece. I ended up buying most of it. :D

But eBay basically put the kibosh on these kinds of deals. Toy Shop went out of business a couple of years ago and print ads are now a thing of the past. :(

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:19 pm 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

Of everything Vintage, I really miss toys having action features or gimmicks.

Gone are the days of Spark wheels to light up their chest, face plates on rotors to change from man to animal, stretch armstrong-y gel filled figures, magnetics, squeeze-induced power punches, blasting cap toy guns, and on and on.

Toys today really just don't do anything except look like beautiful sculptures, not that it is bad, but it really isn't fun either.

:cry:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:59 pm 
Shifts It Into Overdrive

This remains my main issue with MOTUC: What fun is Kobra Khan if he can't spray water? Ram-Man without his "head butt" feature? Sy-Klone without his spinning torso? Ye Gods! :x

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:04 pm 
Daniel Pickett

I ran across L&L Collectibles on ebay this week. Their prices were outrageous! I got most of my carded SP series 2 stuff from them back in the day... like 15 years ago. I couldn't believe how they changed. oo-fa.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:23 pm 
Wind him up, let him go

I hate when you but an "exclusive" and pre pay for it, or overpay for it, like an SDCC Iron Man Mighty Mugg, and a few months later, they have that "exclusive" on the Hasbro Toy Shop web site, or they make a remake in almost the same packaging and sell it at Toys R Us. If it's an SDCC exclusive, it should only be sold there. I know alot of people want these, but then make em available for everyone, don't make people overpay for something that's not truly exclusive.

Also, I think EVERYONE hates when a company takes one new figure everyone wants and puts i9t in a 6 pack with a bunch of peg warmer standard figs like Batman, Superman, etc. (like the JLU Eclipso pack)

AD&D wants-Mettaflame, Hawkler, Ogre King SS, Tiamat and Book of Spells accessory

Madballs Headpopper wants-Oculous Orb and Dustbrain

M.U.S.C.L.E figures

Have to trade=$.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:19 am 
3 3/4"

bnjmnrlyr wrote:
Of everything Vintage, I really miss toys having action features or gimmicks.

Gone are the days of Spark wheels to light up their chest, face plates on rotors to change from man to animal, stretch armstrong-y gel filled figures, magnetics, squeeze-induced power punches, blasting cap toy guns, and on and on.

Toys today really just don't do anything except look like beautiful sculptures, not that it is bad, but it really isn't fun either.

:cry:

I think this is relative to the lines you collect most. Modern Star Wars has consistently had action features (or fun accessories) and vehicles/playsets with a lot of play value. The ubiquitous missile launchers are everywhere but a number of figures have come with zip lines, grappling hook guns, or unique accessories to complete an environment. R2 units with retractable grappling hooks, figures with LIGHT PIPING (so metal!), and more. Then there's the recent big vehicles/playsets like the Millennium Falcon or the upcoming AT-AT which are all-out fun and packed with sounds, lights and play features.

Then there's Transformers, which is a gimmick in itself, has had a run of additional gimmicks for the last 10 years. My favorite being mini-robots that plug into bigger robots to unlock action features. Granted, a vintage concept that was done 12 or 13 years prior but still a good one.

It's not the good ole days of detachable holograms, sparklers, caps, or even a plethora of playsets but some lines still pack in play value. But if all you collect is DCUC or various other adult collector focused lines... yeah, they're no fun. ;)

Back on topic, I think the only thing that really miffs me about vintage collecting is if someone is dishonest. I can wait out people who overcharge, I can be patient when it comes to a rarer item, and I can save money for those "special" grails. But I can't stand people who misrepresent. I tend to pepper eBay dealers with questions before bidding on something. So many things to watch out for. Luckily, experience is your best friend.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:02 am 
Cold-cast

I hope this doesn't sound too soap-boxy, but I miss the innocence of toy collecting.

What I mean is, it's become rather cut-throat in some markets and with certain toy lines. It's not like when we were kids and there was, pretty much, a NEIGHBORHOOD collection. Does that make sense? Like If I had Han Solo and Greedo and Ben Kenobi, and my buddy Frankie had Darth Vader and Walrus Man and C-3PO, and Tommy had Luke Skywalker and Boba Fett, well, WE had Star wars figures. If I had a Stormtrooper and Frankie had a Stormtrooper and Tommy had a Stormtrooper, we had three Stormtroopers. You packed 'em up when you went home but you played with them together.

And, Ebay can be SO ridiculous and, sometimes, makes me want to just e-mail people and ask them if they're insane, charging what they do for some stuff.

For example, one of the figures I still need is the Batman animated Commissioner Gordon. There's one on eBay right now. For FIFTY-FOUR DOLLARS. Really? FIFTY-FOUR? But someone may very well pay $54 bucks for that figure. Not THIS guy. but someone will, which is why they can charge that much.

This site feels like that community, though. We trade and swap and reasonably sell and treat each other respectfully and that really helps.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:32 am 
ABS

In my case is the lack of a good secondary market of vintage stuff in Spain. Even in Barcelona, which is (along with Madrid) a heaven for comic collectors, with so many comic book stores, vintage merchandise is becoming rare (if not inexistent) and bloody expensive.

On-line auctions systems such as eBay have not spawned real reaction from people. The few things thre are from people that offer dubious condition items at hellish prices. Chip has already experienced this when trying to find Spanish Super Powers. I have been hitting several stores in Barcelona for him and I've got nothing interesting. Zero. Nada. Maybe a loose, pretty damaged figure here and there. Carded vintage stuff?? HA!

So for me vintage action figure collecting means the same headaches as modern action figure collecting: buying from US, Canada or Asian on-line sellers at not-so-great prices and paying ridiculous amounts of money in shipping if I want something to be traceable. Last two years I bought loads of stuff from BBTS to fill in some of the holes in my collection, but I spent an absurd amount of money, so decided to stop for a while (plus I'm running out of space at my place...).

Check http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14514 (New entries! - July 10, 2012)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:14 am 
Shifts It Into Overdrive

On the one hand, eBay has made it easier to find stuff that most of us might never see anywhere else, plus it connects dealers and collectors from all over the world.

On the other hand, prices are going through the roof and as more people become involved, supply of vintage material cannot match demand. Hence the lull in acquiring certain figures from older lines.

I've seen it happen with Steel Monsters, Tale Spin, Darkwing Duck, Butch & Sundance, and many others. I've been searching for a carded Tritor from Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future but only one has popped up for auction - and I missed it. :evil:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:20 am 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

While the carded Super Powers figures usually have high asking prices on eBay, the actual sold items remain "normal" for now.

What I find interesting is the huge jump in loose figure prices, especially in excellent shape. It makes me want to score my loose set now before the stuff jumps any higher.

$46 for Superman?
$27 for Aquaman?
$25 for Robin?
$22 for Desaad and Green Lantern?

They're getting up there for sure.

Peace,

Chip

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:40 am 
Shifts It Into Overdrive

I think I can afford carded Shazam, Plastic Man, Mister Miracle, Mr. Freeze, and Golden Pharaoh, but they gotta be on domestic cards if I'm gonna shell out the dough for 'em.

Loose, it would depend on condition. Like Uncle M. stated in another thread, you have to beware of misleading descriptions. Otherwise, I'd get the above five in loose/near mint/complete.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:47 am 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

Lt. Clutch wrote:
I think I can afford carded Shazam, Plastic Man, Mister Miracle, Mr. Freeze, and Golden Pharaoh, but they gotta be on domestic cards if I'm gonna shell out the dough for 'em.

I hear that. The Canadian carded set will probably be the last thing I focus on, even though there are some rarities there.

US-carded Shazam is a rare figure, and ditto that with Golden Pharaoh.

Canadian carded Plastic Man is rarer than the domestic, same with Mr. Miracle.

Canadian Freeze is uncommon for sure, whereas the domestic is very common.

Clear bubbled Canadian figures are VERY tough to come by, as is a clear-bubble US Shazam and Golden Pharaoh.

It's amazing how tough some things are to find when you research it all. I believe I have the only clear-bubble Canadian Brainiac in existence. I'd love to find a Parademon to match, but good luck on THAT one.

Peace,

Chip

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:51 am 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

mentalpower wrote:
Chip has already experienced this when trying to find Spanish Super Powers. I have been hitting several stores in Barcelona for him and I've got nothing interesting. Zero. Nada. Maybe a loose, pretty damaged figure here and there. Carded vintage stuff?? HA!

Tough, tough, TOUGH...as he said.

When you take note that there have been only FIVE TOTAL carded Spanish (General Mills Juguetes, for those keeping score at home) Super Powers figures that have EVER turned up on the collector's market...man, that just blows me away.

No Superman or Batman amongst those, either...which you would figure had to have been produced in a greater quantity than anyone else.

The same holds true for Mexico. Less than 10, maybe, of carded Wonder Womans have turned up...and that's it. No other characters at all.

Heh, now that I type that I realize I have to include Uruguay and the figures by Nibo. Again, less than 10 Penguins exist, and that's it. No other characters at all.

Peace,

Chip

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:53 pm 
Shifts It Into Overdrive

Chip, I probably mentioned this before, but it bears repeating:

Once upon a time...when it came to finding info on Super Powers, I only knew that Cyborg was the line's Holy Grail. After FINALLY finding a domestic carded figure, (from an overseas dealer) I then realized that a U.S.-released Shazam was nearly as difficult to find. (Given how I have yet to score one.)

You should really write down all the stuff you've researched over the years and publish a book or something. There are extensive guides out there for Star Wars, G.I. Joe, and Transformers, all of whom enjoyed longer runs at retail and contain ten times as many variations than Super Powers ever had. We need a guide which covers everything that DC/Kenner and their licensees have released since 1984 and you seem like the best guy for the job.