Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: What is this?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:38 am 
Aspires to be #1

Forgive my ignorance on the topic of vintage toys (most of the stuff in this forum was made before I was born haha) but I saw this at an LCS today and snapped a picture of it.

It looks like a Super Powers Penguin but from following Chips blogs and looking at Otters site I hadn't seen one in a package like this. Just wondering if it was something common or if these guys have some rare figure and don't know it.

Also, if this is just some common figure in common packaging that I could have found with a little less laziness and a little more searching in this forum then just call me an idiot and move on :D

Post subject: Re: What is this?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:50 am 
obsolete and uniquely stupid subnic

Ask, and our very own otter will deliver: http://www.toyotter.com/sp/dchero.html

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:54 am 
Aspires to be #1

Ahh, missed that part of his site. I wonder if I could buy it and claim it's a loose Super Powers figure?

Just kidding!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:34 pm 
Daniel Pickett

I know you are kidding, but just FYI there's different copyright info on the figure and the umbrella mechanism is completely different. And if memory serves he might be missing his tails as well... but I can't remember if that was Penguin or just the Toy Biz Joker.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:20 pm 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

That's one of the uncommon DC Super Heroes, and a nice minty fresh package, too!

What did they want for it?

Peace,

Chip

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:38 pm 
Daniel Pickett

Nope. He's got his tails. I can see it in the picture now.

Do the Toy Biz versions have knee joints? All mine are still back in Oklahoma in my parent's attic.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:25 pm 
Aspires to be #1

They were asking 20 dollars Chip. I was pretty intrigued by it I have to say. I also think this is by far the clearest picture my iPhone has ever taken.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:05 am 
shirtless hugger

JuliusMarx wrote:

Do the Toy Biz versions have knee joints? All mine are still back in Oklahoma in my parent's attic.

The Toy Biz Penguin that I had when I was a kid (which was the early release, with the firing missile) didn't come with tails. I wonder if that was a running change when they changed up the umbrella, too?

And yeah, the Toy Biz versions do have knee joints. If I recall correctly the pins for the joints are visible from the sides. And I know Otter pointed this out on his site, but another difference is that none of the Toy Biz figures had peg holes in their feet.

I've got a full carded set of these guys. You can see them here: http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=14227&start=30

Looking for: MOC trilingual Super Powers Flash, and any pre-production Super Powers Flash items (proof cards, prototypes, etc.). Basically anything that's Super Powers and Flash related, I am interested in.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:56 am 
Why doesn't anyone ever listen to me?

JuliusMarx wrote:

The main difference with Penguin and Superman (which look identical to Super Powers) is that they have no 'super power' action. If you press the legs together or whatever, nothing happens.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:28 am 
obsolete and uniquely stupid subnic

Joe G. wrote:
I've got a full carded set of these guys. You can see them here: http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=14227&start=30

The first thing I thought of when I saw J1's post was your thread on these, but it was way easier to find a link to Otter's page. :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:49 am 
Why doesn't anyone ever listen to me?

While the Riddler was cool and the other Super Powers re-issues were refreshing, this line was terrible. Hands down worst Lex Luthor ever, and instead of reissuing Aquaman, Green Lanter, Flash, and Hawkman, they gave us brand new homely versions. LOL

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:28 am 
Shifts It Into Overdrive

There was a Joker variant that made him one of the rarer figures at some point. There were two versions of him that I can recall, one with hair curls and one without. I liked the fact that Toy Biz included his hat.

The metal pins used on the knee joints are usually the best way to tell these guys apart from their Super Powers cousins, aside from Toy Biz's cheaper plastic and the use of levers on their back (Wonder Woman and Robin) instead of the superior "squeezable" power action that Kenner pioneered.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:43 am 
ABS

Toy Biz didn't use 'cheaper' plastic. these figures are damn near indestructable.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:19 am 
Crime Against Nature

Yeah, they actually used a much harder durometer PVC (and probably more expensive). But I'm pretty sure they were molded off actual Super Powers figures, resulting in the loss of detail we see.

For the second series they just hauled off and made their own bad sculpts. ;) I remember when you could find these all over at flea markets for $1 each. Although not too long before that you could still find tons of loose SP for $2-3 dollars, too. I even stumbled across my Mister Miracle at one.

Superman DOES have an action feature of a sort: he has a magnet loose inside him and he falls over when you get the "Kryptonite ring" near him.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:55 pm 
ABS

they've become a little scarcer in later years.....Penguin is still one of the more common ones however.

I have a carded Superman, and I really quite like it. GL isn't bad either, and if I had a Riddler, I'd probably put him with my SP crew, since I'll never own a Super Amigos one.