Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: What is this?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:27 pm 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

Mister Blisterfists wrote:
...since I'll never own a Super Amigos one.

I know the feeling. :(

Peace,

Chip ;)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:27 pm 
Shifts It Into Overdrive

Toy Biz didn't use 'cheaper' plastic. these figures are damn near indestructable.

The wings on Hawkman kept falling off and you couldn't turn his head around. Aquaman and the Flash had actual wind-up knobs that broke off real easy. The Riddler's torso was screwed on from the back. Bob the Goon's leg could never fall back into place after you had him "kick" something.

This was Toy Biz's initial foray into the action figure industry. The figures might have seemed indestructible to you, but they felt damn cheap when compared to anything Hasbro or Kenner released in all those years.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:59 am 
3 3/4"

Lt. Clutch wrote:
Toy Biz didn't use 'cheaper' plastic. these figures are damn near indestructable.

The wings on Hawkman kept falling off and you couldn't turn his head around. Aquaman and the Flash had actual wind-up knobs that broke off real easy. The Riddler's torso was screwed on from the back. Bob the Goon's leg could never fall back into place after you had him "kick" something.

This was Toy Biz's initial foray into the action figure industry. The figures might have seemed indestructible to you, but they felt damn cheap when compared to anything Hasbro or Kenner released in all those years.

I think the sentiment is that the Toy Biz figures were more "solid." Super Powers figures were often hollow in the thighs or chest to accomodate the action features, and the lower legs were made of a different, somewhat softer plastic. In contrast to Toy Biz stuff which generally were made of solid hunks of heavy plastic which had some weight.

Actual quality and quality control is another matter. I don't think anyone would argue that Kenner didn't make the superior product.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:03 pm 
ABS

Lt. Clutch wrote:

I own several of these and they have stood the test of time. Perhaps not ALL are as durable, but the examples I've had over the years have all been durable.

I never said they were QUALITY figures, the sculpts and paint are pretty terrible, but they ARE a freshman foray into the industry.

That said, I've broken a few Super Powers in my day.

as for 'torsos screwed together' take another look at some of TB's first-year Marvel figures.