Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Vintage Star Wars
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 10:05 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

There's not much talk on AFI about these but i know a bunch of you guys gotta collect these...... right?

I went to a Sci-Fi Expo in Dallas a couple weeks ago and got interested in the vintage SW stuff. I remember them as a kid and wish i had picked up a few back then and left them carded :shock: ! I love the nostalgia factor and the vintage stuff has always been a big interest for me. So.... i broke down last week and started looking on eBay. They are surprisingly inexpensive and plentiful..... at least loose. Seeing as how there are literally hundreds of figures in the SW line and it still being produced, i plan on concentrating on the stuff from the 70's and 80's for now. So another line begins.

Post subject: Re: Vintage Star Wars
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 10:34 am 
3 3/4"

This is still the king of vintage lines for me. So many hours of fun. I'm going to Celebration V this summer and picking up some vintage items is tops on my list while I'm there. This is the only line of which I still have some surviving toys from childhood. Not as many as I should have but at least it's something.

The modern line is amazing and I've long felt fans are spoiled and forget how good it really is, but the vintage line was special. There was a lot more variety in way of playsets and vehicles too. There was plenty of play environments for you to run wild in.

Good luck with your collection! It's a good start!

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:46 pm 
Daniel Pickett

At some point I need to go back and re-buy some of these loose. I played with a lot of mine until they broke down into their periodic elements, so they are in rough shape. I know my Lando is missing his head, Ben has no cape and I think R2 is missing the screw that hold his head on.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 3:45 pm 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

JuliusMarx wrote:
Lando is missing his head

"Colt 45...works every time."

Peace,

Chip

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 6:31 pm 

These guys arrived this afternoon :D .

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 3:23 am 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

You stop those pictures right NOW, mister!

I'm tempted enough with popping over to Rebelscum a few times a week.

Peace,

Chip :)

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 6:08 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

That is a really nice collection that you've got going Fire Marshal Bill. If you're not familiar with rebelscum.com I would recommend it to look for inexpensive figures.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 7:38 am 
Crime Against Nature

yeah, i need to get the first 36 or so vintage figures loose for my new display. Ironically, these are what started my collecting back in 1990, but they were in storage for so long that I gave the entire (complete!) vintage collection to a friends who had kids that loved Star Wars when I moved from California back in 2006. Never thought I'd want them again.

Sigh.

I do think I kept the original 12 figures on the old display stand, but it's in a box somewhere if I do have it. And I have no idea what shape the figures are in.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 10:05 am 
Far Too Concerned with his Post Count

I have the Sears Cantina complete I got at a flea market a few years back. The box is worn but everything else is good. I have a speeder bike and about 20 other figures.

CCC.

Museum Super Collector.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:02 am 
Benevolent Barkeep, Bouncer, Bulwark

Way to go, Bill. Enjoy the hunt! Vintage SW is nostalgia king for me. Many, many hours playing with those guys. Last week I got a box in the mail from my sister. I opened it and it was full of what looked to be typical teenager "junk drawer" miscellany. My sister said it was exactly that: remnants from one of my childhood dresser drawers. Included were about a dozen vintage Star Wars figures! Very cool. Got the R5-D4 sitting right in front of me... :D

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:21 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Sold off all of mine-- (except for Sy)

Nostalgia factor and playing with all mine- is nothing compared to the new sculpts that actually look like the characters--- I upgrade every other figure when a better looking replacement came along-- and just because they were my original toys didnt make me hold on to mine--

However I still have some of the original vehicles (well I keep them till those get redone better as well) looks like the cloud car will be hitting the road soon..

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:46 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

There are really only a few specific pieces that I would like to reclaim

Hoth Han with Tauntaun
Speeder Bike with Scout
Max Rebo Band
Admiral Ackbar
Ugnaught
Gamorrean Guard
Yoda (complete with snake)

I know that I could get all of that relatively easily and fairly inexpensive-ly for loose pieces but I also know it would be the start of a landslide back into Star Wars collecting that I'm just not ready or willing to commit to at this point.

Thanks for the pics in the meantime.
:P

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:20 am 

Thanks to everyone for the comments. I have really enjoyed collecting this line so far. I got outbid by $1 this weekend on a complete loose set of figures from the Empire Strikes Back series :( . There were 29 figs with all weapons and accessories. I was fighting for them up until the last seconds. I may have been up against a sniper program, i dunno. They ended up going for $89, which i thought was an awesome deal at around $3 each.

Chip- Aw, come on man.... just cave in.... you know you want to :lol: . It's no worse than you always tempting us with all those Super Powers pics of the rare stuff i'll never own LOL.

Frequency- Yes i am familiar with rebelscum.com. I have been using their photo archives a bunch lately. I have popped into the message board a time or two as well but haven't signed up or participated yet.

ToyOtter- That was one lucky kid! Hope you locate the original 12 you did keep soon.

LordMudd- Sound like you got yourself a nice little collection going too.

Cantina Dan- That's awesome! I bet you were very happy to see that package. Are you actively collecting vintage SW now.... or i guess i should ask, are you going to start collecting them again now that you received that package LOL.

stebacca- no doubt the newer sculpts are much better looking i'm sure......... but the nostalgia factor wins with me every time :) .

bnjmnrlyr- Well at least you know yourself and your tendencies LOL. It is addicting..... but a lot of fun as well.... as you probably are well aware of. I'm just glad the prices on these loose figures are reasonable..... there's so darn many of them!

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 11:43 am 
Far Too Concerned with his Post Count

Saw this on the front page

Between now and July 26th, look inside STAR WARS Droid Factory Figures, Battle Packs, Comic Packs and Starfighter Vehicles featuring the attached sticker—> to see if you’re a winner. (No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited)

Does this mean that Hasbro and Star Wars are telling us we can have the specially marked packages for free?

I really hate it when they set up a promotion where the goal is obviously to sell more product and then say No Purchase Necessary, like someone is going to write in for a free game piece and actually get a winner. It is fairly obvious that a purchase is necessary in order to get a winning game piece, and saying otherwise is insulting the intelligence of your customer base.

CCC.

Museum Super Collector.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 12:55 pm 
Wind him up, let him go

I have a small vintage Star Wars collection, all loose figures, but yeah, I love them too. The line is just too big and waaaay to expensive to ever get really serious about, but I'll continue getting loose figs. I also have most of the little Burger King premiums (really cool actually) the Taco Bell ones, the McDonalds windups, a bunch of random Star Wars stuff.

AD&D wants-Mettaflame, Hawkler, Ogre King SS, Tiamat and Book of Spells accessory

Madballs Headpopper wants-Oculous Orb and Dustbrain

M.U.S.C.L.E figures

Have to trade=$.