Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: What was the first action figure you got as a kid?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:21 pm 
ABS

Powerglide Batman!!!!

I loved sticking him to my front window.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:36 am 
Fugitive Dust

I remember having a Superman that you could hang from the ceiling and he'd fly in a circle. If I remember correctly, he ran on batteries and only his arms and head were posable. That was probably my first action figure, though he was pretty big, I'm thinking close to 12". That would've been maybe 1979 or 1980. I really don't remember much about him.
As far as small action figures, it's hard to remember which came first of the two but my brother and I got the mego 3-3/4" CHiPs figures with their motorcycles and a mego 3-3/4" Dukes of Hazzard General Lee with Bo and Luke. I remember playing with both of these alot, with Ponch and Jon chasing the Duke boys. We might've received these at Christmas, probably around the time of that Superman I mentioned or possibly a year or two later. I later recall my brother getting the mego Pocket Superheroes Batman. I think we looked for a Robin but since he wasn't there I got a Hot Wheels car or something. Any of these that survived would've been sold at a garage sale in the summer of 1992 along with all the other stuff I wish I still had (early GIJoe's, Super Powers, TMNT, Toybiz DC, comics).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:01 am 
Far Too Concerned with his Post Count

Speaking of flying Supermen, I saw a model train type layout at TX Childrens that had a Superman on a wire who flew back and forth over the city.

CCC.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:19 pm 
shirtless hugger

My very first? 12-inch Talking GI Joe. Flocked hair and beard. You pulled a string, and he said different phrases ("I've got a tough assignment for you!"). The string had colored markings on it, and once you learned the phrases, you could control what he said by how far you pulled the string out.

GI Joe was unsatisfying, though, 'cause I was a comics fanatic. When Mego hit, I got as many as I could. I even got my parents to get Supergirl and Wonder Woman for my little sister, so "she could play with me." I don't think she ever actually played with them, but I sure did.

I kept every one, too. All the way through college and grad school. Unfortunately, they were put in a box in the attic, the attic leaked, and they were ruined by mold, so they got thrown out. If I had it to do over again, I'd have tried to salvage them -- I suspect I could have saved some. The Batmobile and Batcopter were destroyed by my nephews -- I never thought to try to preserve them then.

Once Star Wars hit, I jumped on them, and moved right on into Super Powers. And I still have every single one of those. I never bothered with any of the re-released Star Wars, but I've got all the figures from the early series.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:47 am 
3 3/4"

This is tough to pinpoint but I'm guessing it was probably the Gabriel Zorro figure, or Mego 8" Spidey.

My earliest action figure memories are of that Zorro, the Lone Ranger's horse Silver (I don't remember if I had the corresponding Gabriel Lone Ranger figure too--I think so), Mego Spidey and 12" Superman, and Mego Ponch from CHiPs! I'm just not sure what came first.

This is all pre-Star Wars which didn't start for me until my 4th birthday. Hasn't stopped either. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:52 am 
Why doesn't anyone ever listen to me?

Mego pocket heroes spiderman and hulk and they came with the spidercar.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 10:32 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

This guy.... and he still sits proudly on my shelf :D .

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:18 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Powermaster Optimus Prime :)

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 2:12 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

I wish I could recall. I had a lot of different figures from different lines and I don't know what was first. Super Powers was my fav, but I had SP, He-Man, GI Joe, Dukes and Transformers. Man I wish I had kept it all. I was a pretty lucky kid.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 2:15 pm 
Benevolent Barkeep, Bouncer, Bulwark

jzachery wrote:
Mego pocket heroes spiderman and hulk and they came with the spidercar.

That's pretty epic in my book. Those two figures were some of the earliest I remember, as well. I had Spidey and my brother had Hulk. Can't remember if we had the car...? Do you still have these?

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:27 am 
Aspires to be #1

I can't believe I haven't chimed in here...

the first toy I remember having was a Dick Tracy action figure. The ones that had the real blocky wide leg look and he came with a tiny little gun (that was sadly lost within a few hours). I still have it to this day.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:57 am 
Fugitive Dust

Original CAPTAIN ACTION along with the Aquaman costume set. It was my birthday. I could only get ONE costume set that day and I guess I couldn't believe they actually made an Aquaman one. It looked rather elegant and I always preferred 'the other guys'--Flash, GL, Atom, Martian Manhunter as opposed to being really into Superman & Batman.

Sold all of my original Captain Action stuff in college...naturally later I wished I had kept it....along with the tin Marx Marvel Super-Hero Express train with the BOX that I sold in the same Comic Buyer's Guide auction. Who'd have thought that lame little train would become so valuable?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:50 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

My first action figure was a Star Wars Ben Kenobi! Actually I remember the trip to Kmart, my parents bought me Ben, Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker!

My first GI Joe was the tank that came with Steeler, I think was his name. He wore all green and had a green helmet.

My first Transformers was Trialbreaker

My first Super Powers figure was Robin with chopping action... you could NOT find them in my area when I was a kid!

My first Marvel Secret Wars figure was Doctor Octopus

My first DC Toybiz figure was Batman from the '89 movie

And

My first Toybiz Marvel figure was Captain America with sheild shooting action and Wolverine from the first X-Men line....

-whew-

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:53 pm 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

My first action figure was a Super Powers Batman. My dad tells me he had bought me a couple. I was always losing or breaking him. :P

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:31 am 
Wonderdog

Mine was a sack of green army men. There were like 50 or 100 of them. These guys fought wars, explored alien planets, battled meteor showers in our gravel driveway (ahem) and floods from the hose in the back yard. My best bud had the sack of tan Nazis. Good times.