Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Crush the new guy's ignorance...
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 4:24 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Okay, I apologize for being a moron.

Now that we got that out of the way...

If you have a vintage carded figure... and that carded figure is autographed by the actual actor that portrayed the character... does that increase the value or decrease its value?

I know it's a silly question, and I believe I know the answer... but you're the experts so I wanted to make sure. Especially considering I have seen similar figures on ebay with autographs that are below market value and above market value...

For argument's sake, let's say it's a Star Wars Kenner carded 1977 figure with an autograph... :o :o :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

www.kurtedwardlarson.com

Post subject: Re: Crush the new guy's ignorance...
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 4:40 pm 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

It usually decreases the value, but as always it depends on the buyer. For instance, Harrison Ford's signature is difficult to get, so an original 12-back Han Solo (if authenticated) could bring a higher price. That being said, fake autographs run rampant so that would be difficult.

Great question, and welcome to the forum!

Peace,

Chip

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 5:06 pm 
Daniel Pickett

Actually I think there are a couple of correct answers to this question. I think it depends largely on the target audience you are selling it too. While toy collectors might think the autograph de-values the toy, autograph collectors or Star Wars/movie memorabilia collectors might really enjoy that the signature is on a vintage toy (not caring as much about the toy, more as a conversation piece) and value it higher.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 1:20 am 
PVC

JuliusMarx wrote:
Actually I think there are a couple of correct answers to this question. I think it depends largely on the target audience you are selling it too. While toy collectors might think the autograph de-values the toy, autograph collectors or Star Wars/movie memorabilia collectors might really enjoy that the signature is on a vintage toy (not caring as much about the toy, more as a conversation piece) and value it higher.

I just recently purchased a Michael Dorn signed Worf Star Trek TNG Galoob figure and I love the fact that it is signed. In my opinion I don't see how having the actor sign the figure can hurt it if it is indeed certified. To each their own though.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 4:19 am 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

I also think the difference lies in WHAT is being signed.

While your Michel Dorn signature certainly made that $2 figure much cooler, I'm not sure a $1,000 Han Solo 12-back would benefit as much. :D

Peace,

Chip

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 5:11 am 
Fugitive Dust

Here's how I see it...

If the figure is already worth say $500 w/o autograph, getting it signed will most likely depreciate the value. That said there is a niche market for people who want something autographed and are willing to pay for it. It just depends on 1) the item and 2) the buyer.

If the figure is worth $20 w/o autograph, getting it signed will most likely raise the value and of said item, but again it all depends on the market, item and buyer.

Regards,
Ken

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:37 am 
ABS

I get $5 figures signed and I think it increases value.

I mean I pay more for the autograph then what the figure's worth.

I also to avoid scams by only getting autographs signed in person at cons to be sure.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:11 am 
Aspires to be #1

This isn't Star Wars, but I've consistently seen Bruce Timm signed Grundy figures go for less than a regular un-signed figure. Not sure why though

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:13 am 
Far Too Concerned with his Post Count

CplHicks wrote:
I get $5 figures signed and I think it increases value.

I mean I pay more for the autograph then what the figure's worth.

I also to avoid scams by only getting autographs signed in person at cons to be sure.

Likewise. I remember an interview in Starlog where the interviewer told Yvonne Craig that he still had the autograph from her at a car show some years before and she responded that that was one of the few that she did because if you sent one in to Paramount for her to sign, it wasn't her because Paramount never sent her anything to sign for anyone.

You think it is bad when individuals do it... :roll:

CCC.

Museum Super Collector.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 2:11 pm 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

As you can see ...

there are no easy answers.

For me, if I wasn't the one to actually get the item signed, then it is just graffiti and will devalue an item for me.

If I do get it signed, it is because there is something special about that creator/item/moment connection and then it becomes priceless to me and will never be sold.

...case in point, I have met Neil Gaiman enough times to have the entire run of Sandman (and some of his early novels) signed, and it was in a short enough period that he was recognizing me and started personalizing some of the signatures and covers for me a line of poetry here, a doodle there ...). Every single one of those issues is also signed by at least one other member of the creative team. Every single one. I can tell you what appearance/convention/signing each person signed at, what order the books were signed in, and, almost always, the conversation I had with the creator while they were signing. I have a full SC collection of the series, as well as a HC collection, and the beginnings of the Absolute collection. I will never sell any of those items because of the "value" they now have for me personally. No amount of money could make up for the loss. Plus, with everything being personalized to me specifically, I wouldn't understand how they would be of value to anyone else.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 12:41 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Thanks a lot forum.

I decided to go with a different, more sentimental item.

Really appreciate the commentary.

Thanks!

www.kurtedwardlarson.com