Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: A question about SP collectors.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:23 pm 
Dog Squeezer

Why do you think that casts of some of the fourth wave of Super Powers have never surfaced? Do you think they're trying to keep them "exclusive", or maybe the materials weren't available when the line was around which made it more difficult? I would kill for an El Dorado casting!

Post subject: Re: A question about SP collectors.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:07 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

This question really boils down to the merits vs. negative aspects of prototypes reproductions. It's certainly a topic with staunch advocates on each side of the issue. Personally, I'm against reproductions due to the potential for fraud and misleading collectors, either new collectors or veteran ones should reproductions fall into dishonest hands that care more about making money than protecting fellow collectors. I've collected toy prototypes for many lines including Super Powers for well over a decade and during that time I've sadly seen a number of collectors robbed of their hard earned money by buying reproductions as offered as originals. While it's often easy enough for seasoned prototype collectors to determine the legitimacy of an item in hand, it can often be difficult to do so in online sales where a collector is relying solely on photos. It can be even more difficult to determine a legit vs reproduction item for newer collectors who may not be familiar with the characteristics and materials used back in the day to create legitimate prototypes like hardcopies and sculptings. While reproductions can be marked as such, it's quite easy for a dishonest person to hide these markings in photos or make re-casts of the reproductions devoid of the identifying characteristics originally placed on a reproduction casting to protect collectors. I simply don't think the risks of prototype reproductions outweigh the benefits, but I do understand that many collectors believe otherwise.

As for the unproduced fourth series Super Powers figures, the reasons I've listed above are 100% the reason reproductions of many of those 4th series characters haven't been created. I can assure you it has nothing to do with exclusivity. While some collectors may not agree with the reasons I've listed, I think it's difficult to argue that the reasons are anything but genuine and set forth to ensure fellow collectors aren't scammed out of their hard earned money.

- Mike Mensinger

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:46 am 
Disney is not his cup of tea

Those are all good points but very generic as that could apply to almost anything one collects from comics to furniture and beyond. Anytime you buy anything online you run this risk. Not just with prototypes so it should all be par for the course and not so much a singled out issue.

Buyer Beware is something you should always keep in mind no matter what you are buying.

As for reproductions in general.

For myself... I see reproductions and prototypes as novelty, companion pieces to a collection. To me, not owning them doesn't count against your collection but owning them will enhance it. For myself they don't take the place of the actual produced item in my collection and if the prototype was never mass produced then it doesn't really count in my mind.

There's a Rose Tyler version 3 (or 4 if you count the variations of Rose Tyler ver. 1 as two different figures.) she exists in a limited number of prototypes, I think I can count on my one hand how many. She was never made so this figure isn't a big chase for myself. However if I did happen upon it, adding it to my collection would be a fantastic companion piece and perhaps one I would look into making a couple of just for some of my friends, so they can enjoy a nice representation of her on their shelf.

And Series 4 Super Powers.

Do casts of these figures even exist? I'm not too swift on the history of the toy line, just what I watched on my Super Powers DVDs.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:01 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Quote:
Those are all good points but very generic as that could apply to almost anything one collects from comics to furniture and beyond. Anytime you buy anything online you run this risk. Not just with prototypes so it should all be par for the course and not so much a singled out issue.

My stance isn't specifically geared solely towards prototypes. Within the toy hobby, I'm pretty much against reproduction accessories, re-carded figures, etc. I totally agree that reproductions cause problems for collectors in many fields of collectibles; not just toys or prototypes as you noted. Some toy reproductions like reproduction accessories aren't apt to cause collectors a large financial loss if duped, but nonetheless they can cause collectors frustration and disappointment when a collector believes he/she is purchasing a legitimate item.

Quote:
Buyer Beware is something you should always keep in mind no matter what you are buying.

Again, I agree buyer beware is an important thing to keep in mind, but if collectors can help minimize the risk to fellow collectors in a certain area I view it as being a good steward of the hobby.

Quote:
And Series 4 Super Powers.
Do casts of these figures even exist? I'm not too swift on the history of the toy line, just what I watched on my Super Powers DVDs.

Legitimate 4th series unpainted hardcopies in very small numbers, often in quantities of one or two examples, have surfaced, but reproductions have not been made of most characters with the exception of Quadrex & Manbat. Silicone, El Dorado, Shockwave, Power Plus Figures (Batman, Superman, Firestorm, Cyborg) and Rocket Man represent the ones that haven't been subject to reproductions.

- Mike

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:06 am 
Fugitive Dust

http://www.kennersuperpowers.com/spprot ... versy.html

Anyone whose interested should read this article!

I have personally seen a white resin copy up for sale that was a fake. Of course the seller played dumb and pretended not to no anything. He was asking $550(if memory serves) for it and shortly after mine and I'm sure others emails he pulled the listing. I remember it not being on eBay either.

Regards,
Ken

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:18 am 
Disney is not his cup of tea

Ken, that was extremely interesting!

What is the list of figures that are suppose to make up the 4th Series?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:48 am 
Daniel Pickett

Mike I totally get what you are saying, and the unscrupulous folks are an unfortunate side to this hobby, but personally I want a Manbat and El Dorado in my collection and I would be OK with them being repros. I collect Super Powers and the History of Super Powers just like you. I love SP customs and prototypes, because it's just for me and my collecting enjoyment.

I want to have all of the 4th wave figures that made it to hard copy in my collection. Not to sell, not to dupe other collectors, just for me and my collection. I'd of course love to have originals (and like you I have a handful), but I'd settle for repros just to have them represented on my shelf and in my collection.

As always, your mileage may vary.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:27 pm 
Fugitive Dust

The fourth wave and beyond!

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/arch ... index.html

Regards,
Ken