Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: What Qualifies as Vintage?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:11 am 
Benevolent Barkeep, Bouncer, Bulwark

Jim_Abell wrote:
Don't know that there's a specific reason why, but here cars are considered "vintage" (and qualify for a special plate) at 20 years, seems like that would be a good plan to follow for toys as well...

Yeah, that's probably a good rule of thumb. However, in my mind, vintage stops at December 31, 1989 :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:51 pm 
Fugitive Dust

Cantina-Dan wrote:

Yeah, that's probably a good rule of thumb. However, in my mind, vintage stops at December 31, 1989 :D

I'd have to agree with that!

Regards,
Ken

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:40 am 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

For me, it's anything 20+ years or older, although I automatically think of the 1980s whenever I hear the word.

Before me you are a slug in the sun. You are privy to a great Becoming and you recognize nothing. You are an ant in the afterbirth. It is your nature to do one thing correctly: tremble. But fear is not what you owe me; you owe me AWE.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:18 am 
Disney is not his cup of tea

I guess it's all personal really. There's some common answers to this... anything within the last 11 years not at all... but like people post Exo-Squad toys in the vintage thread. I wouldn't call them vintage but then again they don't go in the new purchases thread for newer items. So I guess for simplicity sake they are lumped in with vintage but a toy line from the mid 90s I wouldn't call vintage even if it hasn't been produced in x amount of years.

Today's Star Wars line is considered a continuation from the original but we still seperate the two.

I really think it's more a personal question of taste after a point really.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:53 pm 
my tummy itches

It has to be old, and collectible

Jlu needs: Question 3 pack,MOC Grundy,Star Sapphire single, Barda, MOC tnba wildcard joker, go final 3 packs! Plus I need any TNBA figures. P.S. Why did it take me four days to find this signature change?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:13 pm 
shirtless hugger

texgnome1 wrote:
Thanks Shell. I tried searching but probably didn't put in the right terms lol...

Stewbacca makes a valid point though.

It sounds like they are both right. I'd say the distance between childhood and nostalgia for that childhood is about 20 years.

Post subject: Re: What is "vintage" to you?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:11 am 
3 3/4"

Pretty much anything pre Toybiz Marvel (that old 5 inch line) I think once they hit the whole dynamic of toy collecting changed (not nessessarly for the better).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:28 pm 
shirtless hugger

For me, the hard line on vintage is "once it stops being made." I understand people assigning dates and whatnot, but that's a pretty slippery slope. If it's not being manufactured, it's now vintage, as far as I'm concerned.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:13 am 
PVC

zedhatch wrote:
Pretty much anything pre Toybiz Marvel (that old 5 inch line) I think once they hit the whole dynamic of toy collecting changed (not nessessarly for the better).

I agree, but myself don't really use a year as a cutoff for vintage. I believe many early 90s lines qualify like Bucky Ohare and Toxic Crusaders. Lines like POTF2 and Spawn are not vintage and consider these as neo-classic. Definately a style change for me somewhere in the mid 90s.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:42 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

To me, vintage is anything 20 years old or older.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:45 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

I think "vintage" describes more than just a year designation. For me the word "vintage" implies an original/first creation wave. For example right now there are newer Terminator figures on the shelves. I have a set of "vintage" T2 figures from 1992. Even though it's not 80's it's still considered vintage to me especially compared to the new waves that are out. Same with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and all the other collections that they've made and remade (Star Wars, Marvel/DC, MOTU, Tron, etc, etc.) The original TMNT figures were released in 1988 and were created through the mid-90's. You could buy a TMNT figure in 1995 that I would consider Vintage now that the new TMNT set is out for sale. But in 1995 you could also buy a POTF2 orange carded Star Wars figure. Same year as TMNT figure I would consider vintage, but I wouldn't consider it a vintage Star Wars figure.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:40 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

I think most people consider "vintage" to be on a rolling scale (20 years seems to be the consensus), but I have a hard time calling anything from Star Wars POTF2 line and after "vintage". That's pretty much where I draw the imaginary line, I figure I'll always think of it that way.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:59 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

I have to agree with what most have said: 20 years should be technically considered vintage, at least when listing things for sale. But, I'm personally not much of a fan of most 90s stuff.

It was the beginning of ridiculous mass production of everything. Like the explosion of non-sports cards like Marvel Universe Comic Cards that I blew all my hard-earned allowance on! (I should have sold my Holograms back then when they were fetching $50 a piece!)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:00 pm 
Wind him up, let him go

No offense meant Bryan, but there's toy lines from last year not being made anymore..Toys could still be in the store on clearance, not being made anymore, I can't see them as vintage (just my opinion). I mean, that would make the Justice League sold on Matty collector "vintage". To me, Vintage is newer then "antique" and goes hand in hand with classic. When I see someone on Ebay selling something from 2005 as "vintage" it just looks bizarre to me. As far as people saying for younger people, their vintage might be more recent? Yeah, maybe, but then why isn't ours? 20 years old is 20 years old. When I was a teenager, 80's stuff wasn't vintage to me. There is a definition to the word, most of them refer to wine, but what I found was..

"3. Old or outmoded.
7. representing the high quality of a past time; classic
10. old-fashioned or obsolete. "

AD&D wants-Mettaflame, Hawkler, Ogre King SS, Tiamat and Book of Spells accessory

Madballs Headpopper wants-Oculous Orb and Dustbrain

M.U.S.C.L.E figures

Have to trade=$.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:16 pm 
Daniel Pickett

I've noticed on this season of Toy Hunter anything 50's-mid 80's is called "vintage" anything late 80s-90's is being called "new classics." I'll be curious to see if that label sticks in the industry.