Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Condensed the nonesense...
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:02 am 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

After a traumatic and emotional month of May, I have righted the ship and June has been stellar. I wasn't owning my collection, my collection was owning me and it had taken over my life. Life, love and happiness were all falling by the wayside. That being said, I took command of the situation after hitting rock bottom and have streamlined things greatly. April is back in the picture (she moved back in), we are stronger than ever and have a bright future planned. I am going back and renewing my real estate licenses and getting involved with some opportunities here that will bring me a career. I've been to the doctor (1st time in 15 years) and am getting my health back on track with some medication and a new mattress to help me sleep.

As a result, the collection has been refined and pared down. I went from 14 bookcases on display down to 5.5 and confined it back to the bedroom. Most went into storage (until we move into a bigger place) and some expensive things were let go of that I found I didn't really care about (like production-color first-shots and proof cards of characters I didn't give a shingbling about).

Here is the result. :)

I actually *feel* lighter...like there's no pressure or weight on me as I go through life.

Peace,

Chip

Post subject: Re: Condensed the nonesense...
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:29 am 
ABS

Chip, I am very happy to see you are happier than ever and are getting your health problems checked out.

I think sometimes when we collect things it can become a obession. I'm realing form a $300 purchase that was uncalled for and have buyers regert and I only bought it yesterday. If something is interfereing with your happnness then it has to go (even to storage) I'm very happy you are getting things on track and things are looking brighter than ever.

I wish you good luck as your life contuies to unfold in a way that will bring you maxium enjoyent of life. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:56 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

That looks great Chip!

I'm also glad you're doing better. Having a hobby like ours can quickly get away from us. You have stay focused on what's really important in life.

http://scar1321.blujay.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:43 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

Ya know, it was impressive when you had EVERYTHING out, but this seems so much cleaner and nicer to look at.

Congrats on getting back on track.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:33 pm 
Fugitive Dust

bnjmnrlyr wrote:
Ya know, it was impressive when you had EVERYTHING out, but this seems so much cleaner and nicer to look at.

Congrats on getting back on track.

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Regards,
Ken

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:11 pm 
shirtless hugger

Chip, I'm very glad to hear that you're doing well. As a guy who's definitely been there, it's extremely hard to accept that help (or even just a change) is needed, and even harder to actually follow through and seek it out. It sounds like you've taken a lot of really important steps already. I hope that you are able to continue down the road that you're on now.

And I agree that the streamlined display looks great. It was awesome to look at the sheer volume of stuff you had out before, but I sometimes felt overwhelmed by the sheer volume of it. And I was just looking at pictures online! :-)

Looking for: MOC trilingual Super Powers Flash, and any pre-production Super Powers Flash items (proof cards, prototypes, etc.). Basically anything that's Super Powers and Flash related, I am interested in.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:11 pm 
Daniel Pickett

Great to hear Chip. I've been worried about you buddy. Glad to hear you found some focus... and more importantly, some happiness.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:36 pm 
Cold-cast

Can you give us more details about what happened in your life these past two months?

I've been feeling the same way recently about my collection, even though I only have about $2,000 invested in mine, I feel like it's just not worth it. All the time I spend getting the figures that I could be spending with my friends and pets, or just doing more constructive things.

Can it really be called a hobby to collect something? When I reflect on it, I think a hobby must involve learning and practicing some kind of skill. Collecting action figures isn't a hobby, it's just an obsession and a self-indulgence.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:37 am 
shirtless hugger

Collecting can easily turn into hoarding, and as adult toy collectors, we have to be careful that we are not buying toys just for the sake of having them.

I realize that this may strike some as being overly serious, but I think it's vital to be aware of the signs that collecting has become an obsession, including a loss of sleep, a lack of social interaction and a sense of depression or sadness. It's important to remember that our self-worth is not tied to the acquisition of toys.

Chip, I'm really glad you are feeling a sense of order in your life. James, if you are worried about your collecting habits, it might be worth reading up on the psychology behind it. I recommend “Stuff: Compulsive Hoarding and the Meaning of Things.”

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:14 am 
Santos L. Halper

Glad to hear you're doing better Chip. The minute the toys begin to control you instead of the other way around, that's when you've got to cut loose of the stuff. Good for you buddy!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:05 pm 
Wind him up, let him go

To me, a hobby is something you do to waste time while your waiting to die....(morbid, I know) I think collecting is a hobby though, most definitely, You do learn alot, I've learned all about comic book characters through my collecting, that I knew nothing about, plus I've met people, gone to conventions/shows, researched and invested time in finding out as much as i could about figures, not to mention constantly adjusting my toy room in displays I find appealing to the eye. A craft would involve learning how to actually do something, but a hobby IMO is anything you put time into that you enjoy. Reading isn't physical, you don't get better at it once you've reached a certain level, you don't need to practice it, yet to me, that's still a hobby as well. (as is crosswords, putting together puzzles, restoring a muscle car, writing poetry, etc.) Also, IMO, setting up displays and installing shelves, etc to display your collection is no different than building, say, model rockets, which are sold at hobby stores. You're still putting pieces together to make a whole. Look at the Build a Figure lines. You're actually building action figures, regardless of the skill level, just like a simple model or puzzle. Anyway, just my take on it. :)

*in any event, when it starts owning you, it's time to rethink your priorities and take a new look at what's going on. It's really hard to do though, I know i need to cut down on what I buy, but the want is so strong. Anyway, glad to hear you're doing well Chip!

AD&D wants-Mettaflame, Hawkler, Ogre King SS, Tiamat and Book of Spells accessory

Madballs Headpopper wants-Oculous Orb and Dustbrain

M.U.S.C.L.E figures

Have to trade=$.

Last edited by else3573 on Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:24 pm 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

That is one incredible Super powers collection :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:23 am 
Cold-cast

else3573 wrote:
To me, a hobby is something you do to waste time while your waiting to die....(morbid, I know) I think collecting is a hobby though, most definitely, You do learn alot, I've learned all about comic book characters through my collecting, that I knew nothing about, plus I've met people, gone to conventions/shows, researched and invested time in finding out as much as i could about figures, not to mention constantly adjusting my toy room in displays I find appealing to the eye. A craft would involve learning how to actually do something, but a hobby IMO is anything you put time into that you enjoy. Reading isn't physical, you don't get better at it once you've reached a certain level, you don't need to practice it, yet to me, that's still a hobby as well. (as is crosswords, putting together puzzles, restoring a muscle car, writing poetry, etc.) Also, IMO, setting up displays and installing shelves, etc to display your collection is no different than building, say, model rockets, which are sold at hobby stores. You're still putting pieces together to make a whole. Look at the Build a Figure lines. You're actually building action figures, regardless of the skill level, just like a simple model or puzzle. Anyway, just my take on it. :)

A few rebuttals.

1. Build-a-figures are a very small percentage of what people are collecting. I think most toy collectors don't even own a single build-a-figure, and those who do have them only have a few.

2. I think people can get better at reading even if they've reached whatever level. Many authors like James Joyce and Herman Melville just to name a few, require a lot of concentration and effort to read. After you read one of their novels reading in general gets easier.

3. All the activities you mentioned; reading, crosswords, writing poetry, restoring a car - are actually activities. The main point of it is to *do* something. With collecting you're not really doing, it's more just *having*.

4. Building model rockets is more complex than setting up a shelf. Especially when you consider they're going to be launched and recovered, or that many rocket hobbyists build their own rockets from scratch, sometimes building giant 5-foot tall rockets that require custom engines.

I will give you that collecting action figures is a hobby - but it is a very weak one that doesn't challenge people to do anything nor does it teach anything. You say that it taught you about comic characters, but don't you think you could have learned more about the characters from simply reading the comics? Whatever knowledge you have gained must be superficial at best.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:23 am 
Wind him up, let him go

The interest i gained from collecting action figures lead me to buy books on Marvel and DC universe, look them up online, etc. I never read comics as a kid, I was more into skateboarding and basketball and later on going to clubs in jersey and NYC), and the different characters intrigued me. Also, I don't think level of difficulty really dictate whether something is a hobby. As for being self indulgent, I have to disagree there, because i enjoy looking at other collections almost as much as my own (well, actually, I don't completely disagree, it is self indulgent, but to me it's not STRICTLY self indulgent. I love seeing all of you guys score stuff you've been wanting, especially if you ge4t a great price on it). As far as reading goes, my reading level hasn't really changed in the last 15+ years. I've always been a reader. (of course, I'm 36 now, so obviously it isn't going to keep going up. I might learn new vocab though, but one thing I always had was a high reading level) As for gaining info, I gained info about the actual toylines, but also about the toy industry itself (and met alot of cool people). Most crosswords contain a bunch of the same words. It's does make you think, but I don't think it's anymore of an activity then setting up action figure displays, designing your toy room, etc. as well as hitting flea markets and goodwills and swap meets trying to find a good deal on a figure you want. I'm not saying it's necessarily a constructive hobby, just that, IMO, it meets the definition of a hobby. Anyway, not a big deal, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one..;)

AD&D wants-Mettaflame, Hawkler, Ogre King SS, Tiamat and Book of Spells accessory

Madballs Headpopper wants-Oculous Orb and Dustbrain

M.U.S.C.L.E figures

Have to trade=$.

Last edited by else3573 on Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:49 am 
Cold-cast

else3573 wrote:
As far as reading goes, my reading level hasn't really changed in the last 15+ years. I've always been a reader. (of course, I'm 36 now, so obviously it isn't going to keep going up. I might learn new vocab though, but one thing I always had was a high reading level)

Ah, I likewise have a high reading level, but I suggest you try reading something like Finnegan's Wake by James Joyce and see if it doesn't increase your reading skill.