Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Off-brand action figure spaceship sold in the mid 90s?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:46 am 
Santos L. Halper

Ok... I had a toy back in my youth that I would like to see if anyone actually remembers anything about, much less has any pictures of.
What I am about to describe is a toy in a series of toys that came out in the mid to late 1990s.

In the 90s, my parents got me this giant off-brand, generic spaceship. The thing was huge!! Had to have been a yard long with a wing span of nearly 2 feet.
The only places I had ever saw it sold at was Walmart and Dollar General.
It had 3 sections. The front of the ship had these hinged cargo-bay type doors you could open to reveal seats for 5 actions figures. The middle part had spaces for 4 more action figures, but each had their own seat with little sticker control panels. Their was a molded carry handle over this section. The third part was this orange space pod type thing that you could pull out and put another figure in. The whole spaceship was molded in a grey-ish plastic.

The box it came into was really big. But what was interesting about the box was how it was not branded to anything, but said that it was compatible with Star Wars, Star Trek (and I believe) Batman action figures. Also, all the figures on the front of the box showing off the spaceship looked like they used to be star wars figures kitbashed and customized to look like new figures.

But this was not the only item in this generic, fits all toy line. My parents also got me this space-age metal-looking fortress/base playset made by the same company. It had a big vehicle entrance door. Towers that could hold a figure with missile launchers that hooked into the main part by plastic tabs. Space inside the playset itself to park vehicles. With a little computer stand that was a secret escape door and a jail cell. Rotating gun/missile launcher in the middle and a level to stand figures. This thing had to be a yard wide as well and curved into a kinda c shape, ). Same thing with the box saying it was compatible with other toy lines.

Both the spaceship and the fortress came with sets of generic weapons, all cast in either blue and orange plastic. The missiles as well. They were simply and cheaply molded laser guns, swords, and jet packs. Picture an upside down check mark, thats all the jet packs were, little plastic strips that stuck out so it could rest on the shoulders of figures.

The company also had a third, helicopter toy that had a pilot figure and came with little green army men, but I never had or wanted that one.

Does this ring a bell for anyone? Did anyone else have these?
DrGreenEvil

Post subject: Re: Off-brand action figure spaceship sold in the mid 90s?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:19 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

have you found anything out on this toy? You seem to bee the only other soul who had one. The bottoms had wheels and the "escape pod" had a single non-movable wheel.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:40 am 
Far Too Concerned with his Post Count

Maybe Starbird Avenger and Starbird Command Base by Milton Bradley?

CCC.

Museum Super Collector.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:47 am 
Loose, Missing Package

Couldn't have been the Starbirds as they were much smaller and didn't have any sort of interior play built into them.

I don't remember the fortress or the helicopter but I do remember the spaceship and some other vehicles. I don't remember that much about it because I never paid that much attention to it, I just passed the shelf several times a night while cleaning the place. It wasn't the typical "toy plastic", if I'm thinking about the same thing. It was more that slick, high-impact, slightly flexible stuff that storage containers are usually made of, right? If so I'm thinking it was made by TimMee Toys or Processed Plastic. I remember Walmart always had a spaceship or jet or tank or something generic that was made by one of them. There were never any paint apps, everything was either the color of the plastic (usually a slightly metallic gray, military green or a combo of red, white and blue) or stickers.

Looking at their site they don't seem to make the big items anymore... http://www.timmeetoys.com/ ...though maybe that the chopper you're talking about on this page... http://www.timmeetoys.com/toys_military2.html

EDIT: Is this it?... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Tim-Mee ... SwAPlXhu2X

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:48 pm 
Santos L. Halper

Oh S***!!! Thats it!!!
Thank you, Jim_Abell!!
I wish I had kept it. I really liked that toy, but it was just so big!

And since I did not know the brand, google searches were useless. There are billions of toy spaceships and fortresses released each year. Then times that by 16+ years.

Thank you again, Jim_Abell!!