Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: M.A.S.K.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:24 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Very cool black Collider mask!

Speaking of Gloria/Collider, has anyone seen any concept prototypes for Gloria's 920 Porsche? I have the concept art for the Porsche and color scheme for Gloria's outfit before they gave her the Stiletto. Thought you all might find it a bit interesting.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:01 pm 
Fugitive Dust

These are seriously awesome Rasoul!!

Regards,
Ken

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:56 am 
Peg Hanger

That artwork is a vehicle and character model sheet for the CARTOON, not design specs for the toy line. I've seen others like that one before, all of which had the early "Mask Force" title on them like this one before the cartoon's title was changed to "M.A.S.K.". Someone was selling similar black and white copies of other vehicle model sheets on Ebay recently, such as Hurricane, Outlaw, Vampire, Stinger, Firefly, etc. They were interesting because of the original names planned for some of the vehicles -- Vampire was originally called "Vulture", and Raven was originally called "Vampire".

So the model sheet artwork above doesn't indicate at all that a Shark toy was in the works by Kenner. The long-standing rumor is that any plans for a Shark toy got shot down pretty fast when Kenner couldn't get the licensing approval from Porsche before any significant design work went into it (especially a prototype being made). Takara/Hasbro has reportedly had similar recent issues with Porsche when it comes to producing the characters Jazz and Cliffjumper for the Transformers Masterpiece line since they would be realistic depictions of the automobile. Some auto companies have been reluctant to license their vehicles to toymakers to produce toys depicted in violent situations and sporting weaponry. I heard Volkswagon was a difficult one to work with too when it came to Bumblebee for that same reason, because Volkswagon (being a German company) treads very carefully when it comes to its properties being portrayed in an aggressive/violent manner, due to the history that country has with the Nazis. Ridiculous to some I guess, but that's what has been reported elsewhere.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:45 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

While it's true the model sheets were based on the cartoon, my research has shown the cartoon artwork was used to provide the coloring for the toys (which is why the colorist notes are there in pencil) and they were more or less created together by Kenner simultaneously, one to feed the other. Several cartoon/toy lines in the 80s were doing that at the time. The source of my set was contracted by Kenner to do the colorings for the toys and the mini-comics. A lot of the color guides show pictures of how the masks would fit on the particular characters, some layered on top of each other and some just the masks themselves.

Other evidence of this being the guide for the toy line itself, the groupings of the characters and the vehicles are identical to the toy line, including vehicles with 2 figures, and this would be completely unnecessary if it were the cartoon. Also, in the grouping, they were grouped (stapled) together in order of release date on the toy line. I have nearly all of the series 2 (toy line) sets as they were included together. It's possible Manta was intended for series 2 as it was also included with the group as none of the other series 3 toys were. If they were indeed for the cartoon, the simple answer is it was for both.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:34 am 
Peg Hanger

Regardless, a prototype has never shown up and second hand reports from people who worked with Kenner back then state that Shark never got that far into production. I fully believe the numerous claims over the years that it all has to do with them not getting licensing approval from Porsche to turn it into a toy, since that same reason has applied to other toy lines since then.

As for Manta, I agree that it was probably intended for series 2 originally since it was a more prominent vehicle/character in the cartoon and didn't really fit in well with the Racing theme of series 3 where it ended up. They may have held back on releasing it because of the stereotypical belief that female characters don't sell well in a boy's toy line. That same excuse has also been proposed before as one of the reasons Shark with Gloria never got made, even though she and Shark were one of the main characters/vehicles in the cartoon.

Another interesting observation I've made before -- The Gloria Baker figure that came with Stiletto in series 4 is sculpted to resemble her Shark costume (but in a different color scheme), and she has the correct Collider mask she wore in the cartoon when driving Shark. HOWEVER -- Early releases of the Buzzard toy in series 3 had black versions of that same Collider mask paired up with Miles and his brother. The Collider mask is sculpted to perfectly fit the Gloria body, not the Buzzard figures, so clearly its original intended use was for the Gloria figure even though it was first released with Buzzard. Therefore, the fact that the Collider mask was released a year earlier than its eventual use with Gloria/Stiletto might be the ONLY physical evidence of any production ever being done for Shark in the toy line.

So here's my theory: They started preliminary work on the Shark toy, including sculpting the Gloria figure with her Collider mask. Then they ran into a legal wall when they were denied licensing approval from Porsche to make Shark as a toy. But there was no such legal issues preventing them from using the Gloria/Collider mask they had already sculpted. The Collider mask itself would have had to have been sculpted AT LEAST around the time series 2 was hitting stores, if not sooner, since it ended up getting released originally with Buzzard the next spring in series 3 -- meaning that any production for Shark was being done in the first 1-2 years of the line.

So Kenner, not wanting to waste sculpting or tooling, initially repurposed the Collider mask as the Black Colliders that came with some of the Buzzard toys. And then with series 4, they finally made use of their Shark-costumed Gloria figure by pairing her up with Stilleto (which never appeared in the cartoon, just like the rest of the originally-designed series 4 Split Second vehicles). Kenner may have already been anticipating the Splits Seconds series being the final wave in the toy line and therefore cut or saved spending wherever they could by using the leftover Gloria figure that had already been sculpted 2+ years earlier rather than spending more money to sculpt another BRAND NEW figure instead.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:46 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

shabbyblue wrote:
Scar,

I like how you are displaying the vehicles in stacked clear display cases. I'm thinking of doing the same too now that I'm getting back into collecting MASK. I've seen similar acrylic cases at Hobby Lobby and other hobby stores for around $6-12 each depending on the size of the case, but I'd like to find them cheaper considering how many I'd potentially want to buy. Where are you getting your cases from?

If your displaying them with limited light the cheap Acrylic cases will work fine. If there is any UV light and that includes some overhead lighting I'd splurge more for Acrylic with UV protection if its available. I personally don't use Acrylic cases - I just stick in in Glass shelves from IKEA.

-dx

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:49 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Just got a carded T-bob and my usual Kenner protective case is too small. Anyone have a link to the proper size? Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:53 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Hi erverybody, I came across this message board while searching for M.A.S.K. I thought I'd share some of my M.A.S.K. decals/stickers. All of them are scanned in at 300dpi. Just click on them to enlarge them. Also they are not the full res when you click on them, so if anybody is looking for higher res pics feel free to just pm me.

Afterburner

Bandit/Bullet

Bill Board Blast

Boulder Hill 1

Boulder Hill 2

Bulldoze

Buzzard

Collector

Detonator

Dynamo

Firecracker

Gator

Gator 2

Iguana

Jackhammer

Manta

Outlaw

Outlaw 2

Pirahna

Pit Stop

Raven

Rhino

Skybolt

Thunderhawk

Slingshot

Slingshot 2

Slingshot 3

Stiletto

Switchblade

Vampire

Vandal

Volcano

Wolfbeast

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8