Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:37 pm 
Benevolent Barkeep, Bouncer, Bulwark

megomuseum wrote:
Really enjoyed the Marvel comic at the time as well, great stuff!

Me, too! It was my introduction to comic books. My brother got me a one year subscription to GI Joe for XMas. In retrospect, that was one of the best gifts I got 'cause it led to a whole lot of other cool stuff!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 4:09 am 
Fugitive Dust

I just recently bought the GI Joe Treasury edition and reread it, man it brought back tons of great memories of that first issue. I kept up with that comic long after I gave up the toys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:45 am 
Collector Inspector

I have to say for the most part, the GI JOE series as a whole was quite a good series. It was one of the few comics that even my brother read as a kid.

And being from Staten Island I always got a kick out of the issue when they were in the Staten Island mall. ( I think it was #31)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 5:34 pm 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

I went back & forth between Star Wars & GI Joe being my favorite lines growing up but I guess most of the time it was RAH. I Had so many things and I lcouldn't get enough. I had a buddy that got everyting that came out for both of them and we'd play at his house all the time. We'd mix vehicles and use Joe stuff with Star Wars & vice versa. Hoth playsets became Cobra snow bases that the joes would attack & the like. I remember when he got the battle platform and the Flagg, I was so Jealous. It was awesome.

I can remember the order I got the first figures in. I got Breaker first of all of them because he looked the most like the Big joes (Dark beard & such) but I was mad when I realized he didn't have a gun. Then I got flash cuz he looked cool with his lazer. Then I got Zap cuz I wante dthe bazooka, then Snake Eyes because I liked the Uzi. Then stalker & scarlet. Then they came out with the swivel arms and i bought stalker again WITH swivel arms & got short fuze & rock & Roll & the got the motorcycle and kept Breaker on it since he didn't have his own gun. Then I got cobra commander & a cobra trooper... and i could keep going. I love these figures. I wish they would release all of the original first series in the 25th anniversary figures. I'd love to have a breaker & flash & Zap. I hope they make a Snow Job too.

Most all of my stuff got destroyed by fire crackers or buried in the back yard or sold in yard sales. I started jonesin' for them again after I graduated from college and had been out for a while and the reissue 2 packs started coming out and the Dragonfly came out again and I picked up a few of those but really wanted all my old stuff so I went crazy on ebay. I bought almost all the old figures I had from the first 2 or 3 series in lots for almost nothing. I wasn't really concerned about the condition so long as it had all the parts, all the thumbs & wasn't torn up completely. I then started buying other things like Skystrikers & rattlers and thanks to yojoe.com found out about cool things that came out after I had gotten "too old" to play with toys. I found the A-10 with Ace & Hawk and bought it. I tried finding pieces to a flagg but never found any good deals on them (surprise). Got a Night Raven a couple of vamps and some fangs & I just kept going crazy. I finally stopped when Marvel Legends came out because I didn't have the funds to do both and ML really was cool to me and a lot easier to acquire.

Anyway, yeah, joes were really cool and still are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:48 am 
wears suits so fine they make Sinatra look like a hobo

The 3 ¾ Joe line came out when I was 7 years old, so I of course was obsessed with all of it. I had most of it, played with it, but for the most part took very good care of it. In fact, most of my current collection is the original stuff I bought or received when I was younger. I don’t know why I took such good care of it. Actually, come to think of it, there were a few Joe items that made the ultimate sacrifice – the Snowcat, which found itself doused with the fake snow that is sold in a can at Xmas, that stuff just would not wash off once it dried; the Rattler, which became the main source of crash-landing recess fun in elementary school; and the Whale hovercraft, which spent most of its life in my pool and then was eventually retired by “bullet holes” from a soldering iron…but for the most part my childhood collection survived intact.

This pic is old but it shows most of my stuff, save for the larger vehicles and original boxed items. And there’s another box of figures somewhere…

Take a walk on the Sunny Side of the Street
http://www.facebook.com/SunnySideNews

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:17 pm 
Benevolent Barkeep, Bouncer, Bulwark

Awesome! Thanks for that pic. :shock: :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:36 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

I started late on the Joe bandwagon. I started collecting the line in '87 when I was 20. I'd always loved the cartoon and I guess I just started on the toys because there was no new Star Wars on the pegs. I never had much of the line prior to the '86 releases, but I think I had all but 8 of the figures that were released from that point until the end of the Sgt. Savage line in '95 which I think totaled somewhere around 500 different figures... I wish I'd had the space to display them all but my room at the folks' house just wasn't big enough to store everything much less display it. Eventually I sold off the Joes to the local comic shop before the TRU exclusives started hitting. I know I lost money on them, but it's rare you're gonna get $1300 in one shot for loose action figures. I kept the paratroopers I got at the '94 con, some customs and a few odds and ends but most of my collection went away in one fell swoop... Part of me wishes I still had them, but I know that if I did I would've been crazy enough to re-start the line and get all of those way, over-price con exclusives...

Outside of the two conventions I got to attend and meet the Hasbro team at the time, my favorite memory comes from a bunch of us one-upping a know-it-all friend... This guy had everything Joe that could come from the mall (ie: Sears, Penny's, KB, K&K, Thornsbury's) but that was the only place his mom would shop so he had no idea about the TRU or Target exclusives and pretty much declared that they didn't exist until proven otherwise (which he always hated), but one day a group of his common friends were out shopping without him and on the back cover of GI Joe magazine was an ad for the Steel Brigade mail-in. Well, we got a copy and headed for the closest photocopier and ran off the order form and got them in the mail that day swearing not to say a word to him. About a month or two later we were all meeting for lunch at the local pizza place when one of the guys comes in and announces that his figure has arrived. Well, we all scrambled home and found that ours were there as well and we headed back to the pizza place with the figures in our pockets and figured out a code for the big reveal. The memory is a bit fuzzy on what set off the reveal, but I remember him being in a know-it-all tirade when we each pulled out our Steel Brigade figures and identified each by our personal code names. I don't think I've ever seen anyone so surprised and pissed-off at the same time! He pegged me as the mastermind (and I may have been, I don't remember) and is still vowing to take revenge to this day... :lol: