Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Space toys
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:55 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

As I mentioned in the Favorite Christmas thread, I came up during the space race when cool toys based on NASA designs were everywhere. The GI Joe mercury suit and capsule were were among my favorites, but Mattel's Major Matt Mason and his accessories-- based on NASA concept drawings-- was probably the coolest set of toys from my childhood. There were also aliens in the line, as well as Colorform bendy aliens which were designed to cash in on Mattel's success. I even had a few Xeroid robots to round out my space adventures.

My FIRST memory of receiving a toy as a gift, however, was Billy Blast-off. Billy was a chubby kid in a space suit with a motorized back pack that powered whatever vehicle Billy sat in. They came out with a walking Billy Blast-off later in the line.

Billy made a cameo in a portfolio piece I did a few years back. That's my son in the space suit. Billy and one of his vehicles are in the dirt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:34 pm 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

Wow, awesome piece! What'd you do that in?

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:16 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

Thanks. I work in Photoshop, Chip. When I switched from doing computer games to illustration I did a series of pieces for samples. This was my SciFi piece. My avatar was also one of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:58 pm 
proverbial old fart

Space toys...

Don't get me started!

One of the strangest space toys I ever got was a "flying saucer" by Marx that had a gyroscope in it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:02 pm 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

Chris Appel wrote:
Thanks. I work in Photoshop, Chip. When I switched from doing computer games to illustration I did a series of pieces for samples. This was my SciFi piece. My avatar was also one of them.

Just awesome, Chris. I've used Photoshop for nearly 9 years, but couldn't even begin to come close to what you're doing. Very impressive!

Peace,

Chip