Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: First Comic you remember reading...
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:25 pm 
proverbial old fart

Okay, here is a topic that should stimulate the gray cells...

What is the first comic you remember reading - or at least looking at the pictures because you couldn't read yet...

The first comic I distinctly remember was either an Uncle Scrooge or Donald Duck from when I was about 5. It was a race through space with the Beagle Boys chasing Donald in all these wacky, colorful Carl Barks space ships...

I couldn't tell you the issue to save my soul, but I still remember that comic some 50 years later....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:36 pm 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

I just picked up a new copy of it on eBay yesterday :

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:48 pm 
proverbial old fart

And Still only 35-cents!

Cool, Chip! Did it bring back memories?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:52 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

I know I had some Gold Key and Dell funny books when I was little, but the first comic I really remember was a Superman book where Luthor was in prison and made the world forget that Superman existed. Clark was still around but every heroic deed Superman did was seen as some sort of natural miracle or intervention by "flying saucers". Then there's the first Spider-Man comic I ever saw... I didn't know anything about Marvel until after the Spider-Man cartoon started running locally in the early, early 70s here and I begged my mom to help me find the comic (since the end credits specifically credited Marvel Comics) so after several weeks or months we finally found a copy and I couldn't understand why Spidey had webbing everywhere instead of just on his gloves, boots and mask and my mom got all bent out of shape after she read it because of how "violent" it was -- know what issue I first found?... The issue after Gwen Stacy had died and Spidey and the Goblin had a fight to the death!... Man, I wish I still had that in mint condition...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:02 pm 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

Glenn2000 wrote:
And Still only 35-cents!

Cool, Chip! Did it bring back memories?

Haven't received it yet to read it, but I remember it pretty vividly. The mummy is really the Man-Wolf. :)

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:26 pm 
Crime Against Nature

Yeah, and that cover is the biggest rip-off in the world!

The mummy doesn't say a word for the entire issue (because, yeah, he's the man-wolf) and then at the end of the next issue HE FREAKING DISAPPEARS in the middle of a fight with Spidey!

With no explanation!!!!

It took me years to find out that he got pulled back into the "Stargod" world and that his story continued in an issue of She-Hulk. But then his series in Creatures on the Loose ended pretty much the same way, so I shouldn't have been surprised.

I kind of remember reading Uncle Scrooge and Richie Rich comics as a little kid (and I devoured the all the Tintin and Superman, Batman, Captain Marvel "from the 40s-70s" books fromt he library), but then Star Wars took over my world and I bought all of those comics up to issue 25 or so. When the Empire adaptation came out I found it 2 issues late so I went looking for them and discovered that comics shops existed.

This led to me picking up the Marvel Tales Spider-man reprints once I had caught up on SW, which led to getting the new Peter Parker Spectacular comics, which led to collecting Amazing, which led to finding issue #161 which had Nightcrawler which led to me picking up X-Men which led to a very dark road for the next 10 years. ;)

There were many months in the 80s where I bought every single comic Marvel put out whether I "collected" it or not. Thankfully, my apt flooded in 1991 and wiped out my collection and took that monkey off my back for good (archives and essential reprints notwithstanding). The insurance money led to computers and toys, so not sure if that was a good tradeoff or not. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:50 am 
Collector Inspector

I know mine was an early Transformers comic, probably around issue 12 or 13. I got various Joe and TF comics, but this was the issue that begun my collecting

Image[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:07 am 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

Such a great cover.

I'm going to start a "cool covers" thread because there are some I'd like to post. :D

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:22 am 
Collector Inspector

marillion wrote:
Such a great cover.

In fact that may have been the very reason I actually bought it. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:59 am 
Benevolent Barkeep, Bouncer, Bulwark

My brother got me a subscription to G.I. Joe for XMas one year.

This was the first issue I received and the first comic I "read." Ironic since this "Unusual Story" actually had NO WORDS! haha:

I still have it in all its beat up glory - brittle yellowing tape included!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:47 am 
Fugitive Dust

Mine was a Goldkey Rocky and BullWinkle book that was handed down to me, then the Treasury Editionscame out! My first might have been Spider-Man Vs the Sinister Six. It had a big impact on my four year old mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:18 pm 
An Insider

I don’t exactly know what the first comic I ever “read” was because for a long time I couldn’t read. You see, my parents had been reading to me three books every night probably since the day I was born. I had remembered a great many words when I was five years old, however I had no understanding that each letter made a sound and my teacher had a hard time making me understand that simple concept...It came as quite a shock to my mom and dad when my first grade teacher wanted to hold me back. Luckily for me, someone smarter then my first grade teacher had understood that I had a learning disability! I remembered every word to over a hundred books but trying to sound out a new word was a difficult concept to grasp. It wasn’t untill I was ten years old That I was able to read on my own, and even then I couldn’t read much more then Cat in the Hat...With that said, the first comic book I “remembered” and would “read” a lot was Masters of the Universe #12 and #13

and the first comic that I could actually readwas

I don’t have the Superman Annual #3 anymore, but I still remember it like yesterday...Superman gone rouge! The story was impressive to my ten year old brain. It was so bold and out of the ordinary that for once I wasn’t just content with looking at the pictures and having it read to me, knowing Superman had become a bad guy I had to understand why, I had to read it because I couldn’t wait for somebody to translate it for me. I couldn’t wait until I got home, I had to know and I had to know right away! So on the car ride home I was going to read it my self with no outside help and by God I did! I was ten years old before I wanted to read, and this comic made me want to read. It made me understand the importance of reading something on my own.

With the two part He-Man story Lifetime, I remember so well for several reasons. It was the first comic I had ever purchased with my own money I made my self and it was the first comic I “read”. I recognized so many of the words from words in my own books that I though I was in fact reading it my self... I certainly needed help with many of the words (“what’s that say mom?”) along the way, but my mom had thought I at least had a grasp on reading from that experience. How wrong we both we and didn’t even know it!

The story it self was monumentally impressive and was easily the best He-Man story ever told!
Prince Adam decides he isn’t going to be He-Man anymore but before he can hand in his resignation a Skeletor attack forces him to travel 30 years into the future to retrieve his banished power sword. In this dystopian future he finds out exactly what fate would befall Eternia without He-Man around. With Skeletor as Master of the Universe and almost everyone he loves dead, Adam swears vengeance and that power sword or no power sword he will make Skeletor pay for what he has done! It’s an epic story filled with a few tear jerking moments that send goose bumps down your spin. If budget had permitted this is what the motion picture should have been, or at the very least the last episode of the cartoon! Any body who ever owned a He-Man toy owes it to them selves to rad this story, luckily you can...

http://www.goodolddays.net/comics/?sect ... =4&lang=en

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:41 am 
ABS

Got this issue for my Fourth Birthday, it was my first comic ever, but I didn't get anymore after it

Until my parents started splitting up, my best friend then got me into comics as a way to get away from the fighting. The first comic I bought with my allowance:

I went back to the comic store the next weekend and hit the back issues buying every issue they had from 200- 264, spending 341 dollars. I still remember how much I spent because my mom thought I was crazy and talked about it for YEARS. Now I have every single X book that has ever been put out. As well as full collections of The Avengers, The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man, Captain Marvel, Dr. Strange, Warlock, and Thor. Now that I have that finished and Marvel has turned me against them completely and totally I have been building my DC Collection slowly but surely.

Last edited by RaiderXWW on Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:17 am 
Benevolent Barkeep, Bouncer, Bulwark

I love most of the Secret Wars covers and #4 is one of my favorites!