Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Maxx Fx : Toys that should have been made
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:09 am 
Fugitive Dust

Just added this to my site, the 1989 Matchbox Maxx Fx Catalog, a toy line which got cancelled before it even hit stores sadly. Check out some of the cool monster toys that we almost got.[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:18 am 
Loose, Missing Package

Actually, Brian, Maxx FX did get a small release. Apparently Matchbox had a small run of Maxx with the Freddy Krueger costume produced before all the furror over them making that ventrioquist doll-sized talking Freddy. I picked up 2 sets at KB or K and K on closeout for something like $6 a set. I sold the packaged set to my local comic shop about 10 years ago and I just gave the loose one to a guy I work with (mice had gotten into the storage box and chewed up the brim of the hat and his finger-blades). It was a cool toy and a cool concept, but the snap-on hands really didn't stay on that well and the snap-on heads were humongous... Amazing how just a few years down the road horror "toys" became a mainstay of companies like McFarlane and Neca...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:21 am 
Fugitive Dust

You're right Jim, I should have clarified, one figure got released and killed the whole deal. Great first choice Matchbox.

I've owned dozens of these sets, Maxx himself is wonderful for Mego customs. Although I hate Freddy Kruger.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:13 pm 
Killer Mothman

This, I think, is #1 on my "Greatest Toys that mostly never were" - That Alien costume is the awesomest!

I wonder why no-one has tried to redo this license after all of these years? Maybe the production values of the costume sets are too high for todays toy manufacturers?