Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Goo Gone/Lacquer Thinner
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:33 am 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

Okay, I've been using lacquer thinner to remove old tape/adhesive on vintage toy boxes, with very good success. However, I know "Goo Gone" is out there and want to know if it's safer to use. Lacquer thinner will start to take the color off of a box...will Goo Gone do the same?

Also, is it available locally at Target or somesuch?

If anyone has experience in "restoring" or "touching up" old action figure cards & toy boxes, please let me know your techniques.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:14 am 
Cold-cast

I've used Goo Gone to remove stickers and residue from plastic, but not from cardboard (i.e. action figure cards). My guess is it would leave an oily residue if used on something porous, but it works like a charm removing sticky stuff from plastic. You can find it at Wal-Mart and probably Target.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:03 pm 
Master of the Interwebs

This might be helpful:

From http://www.thebiggamehunter.com/_mgxroo ... 10766.html

Removing stickers and tape.
Never try to pull off a piece of tape or price sticker without using rubber cement thinner. Look for Carter's Rubber Cement Thinner in an office supply store. Put the cement thinner in a tiny (2"), clean oil can or use an eye dropper. Saturate a corner of the sticker, then gently peel back the corner, pressing down (not lifting up) as you do. Keep adding cement thinner as you slowly peel off the sticker. You can also try using a hair dryer on the tape or sticker; the heat may destroy the adhesive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:42 am 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

Thanks for the link, vader! I'll be grabbing some of that as well as some Goo Gone and see what works best.

Peace,

Chip